Preview Round 1: Hawthorn vs Brisbane Lions @ The Melbourne Cricket Ground, 2:20pm 22.03.20

Status
Not open for further replies.

zorkoooooooooo

Senior List
Oct 16, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Central Districts
fingers crossed our boys really get the f$&k around each other for the WHOLE game.

only seeing smidges of it in this typically s**t house Carlton vs tigers game

I’m optimistic that because we are arguably the most entertaining team in the league, with X factor on every line, with an energiser bunny as a captain and a coach who directs his team to be entertaining, that we hopefully will do just that!

charlie to kick a big, big bag

Go lions, give us some joy in these horrible times

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The viewing of the game was better than I thought it would be.....forgot about the lack of a crowd as the game went on, so I'm not worried about our game from that angle at all, we'll get used to it, we have to, no other alternative atm..

Listening to the radio, there is a bit of talk about the after goal/game celebrations ie high fiving, shaking hands, hugging etc in light of the no touching rules right now. That didn't bother me too much but we were concerned about the players using the same drink bottles when bought out to them......wonder if anything will be done about it.

...other than that, looking forward to our game, so cmon boys last year was fun, lets go do more of the same:brisbane::heart:

Last edited:
My bench would be:
McCarthy, Berry, Lester and Starcevich.
I love Oscar in the forward pocket. If Oscar kicks a bag as a deep forward, expect him to be a permanent fixture in front of goals.

I think Witherden is playing for his career this year. His tank is too small and he is not quick enough.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
If there is no NEAFL, how will the other guys show that they are ready to step up other than training with the guys?
If we have multiple games in a short period of time as has been mooted I would expect us to rotate/manage players through a 30(approx) man seniors squad.

The viewing of the game was better than I thought it would be.....forgot about the lack of a crowd as the game went on, so I'm not worried about our game from that angle at all, we'll get used to it, we have to, no other alternative atm..

Listening to the radio, there is a bit of talk about the after goal/game celebrations ie high fiving, shaking hands, hugging etc in light of the no touching rules right now. That didn't bother me too much but we were concerned about the players using the same drink bottles when bought out to them......wonder if anything will be done about it.

...other than that, looking forward to our game, so cmon boys last year was fun, lets go do more of the same:brisbane::heart:
I wouldn’t be disappointed with that bench but I am expecting Witherden to play over Lester. Along with the other 3 you mentioned.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
My bench would be:
McCarthy, Berry, Lester and Starcevich.
I love Oscar in the forward pocket. If Oscar kicks a bag as a deep forward, expect him to be a permanent fixture in front of goals.

I think Witherden is playing for his career this year. His tank is too small and he is not quick enough.
Really?! He has been a permanent player in our games since debuting. His defense has improved a fair bit since going back there. Not all players have to be lightning quick and he already looks trimmer than previous seasons. His tank also improves with pre-seaosns. You don't just get rid of young players because they aren't at their top potential in only their 3rd season.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Really?! He has been a permanent player in our games since debuting. His defense has improved a fair bit since going back there. Not all players have to be lightning quick and he already looks trimmer than previous seasons. His tank also improves with pre-seaosns. You don't just get rid of young players because they aren't at their top potential in only their 3rd season.
I think some are reacting to that one incident late in the final v Brent Daniels against GWS.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
i think Witherden has to work on his intercepting as well as defending. He’ll never lock down a gun forward or break the lines. If he can chop off the ball more and rebound he’ll become more dangerous.

Would be great to have Vlastuin in our backline. Adams might be able to do the intercepting but can’t kick.

i think Witherden has to work on his intercepting as well as defending. He’ll never lock down a gun forward or break the lines. If he can chop off the ball more and rebound he’ll become more dangerous.

Would be great to have Vlastuin in our backline. Adams might be able to do the intercepting but can’t kick.
I actually think that he is developing really quite well in that area of his game.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Alex will play Sunday (virus dependant) 100% and should be in our best 22 every week providing he shows improvement each season which I am also sure he will. Elite kick and reads the play better than most. Lock him in.

Nowhere have I said we should get rid of him, but his endurance and speed are issues that he needs to address. I hope he has. Given our 2019 draft choices and existing players who are competing for a spot on the half back line, there are others who will go ahead of him. It remains to be seen whether he is an automatic selection for the seniors, or whether he ends up a fringe player. It is up to him. Naturally we wish him all the best.

snooplions

Club Legend
Dec 2, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We don't use Witherden's main strength as much as we used to though. Seems our gameplan and focus on not turning the ball over exiting the d50 meant that Alex lost his license to take on dangerous kicks like he would in 17/18. Usually just bombs it down the line. Think he more than holds his own in defense though.

Berrygood

All Australian
Aug 27, 2017
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Expect the bench to be Berry, McCarthy, Witherden and one of Starcevich or Robertson probably Starcevich.

Coleman must have been impressing at training to make the squad or maybe a similar player is under an injury cloud.
I think its a 'get your act together linc' selection. Letting him know we got a young fella here performing well ready to take your spot. McCarthy will get the nod first up but a cpl of average performances and Coleman might get a debut rnd 3.

Berrygood

All Australian
Aug 27, 2017
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think Berry, Linc, Withers and Starcevich will form the bench for rnd 1. Its great that three young blokes are rewarded with mention, i hope they all travel as emergencies.

Cant understand the 16min qtrs, sure we may need to change the environment of the comp because of the virus but absolutely no need to change the game because of it.

As for the game, i think we will start slow, possibly behind at half time, start to get on top by end of 3rd, finish strong and win by 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back