Game Day Round 1 JLT- Saints v Power

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys if you're feeling a little less optimistic now about the Saints after JLT1, then spare a thought for Port Adelaide supporters. Here are some posts from the first 10 pages of their JLT1 thread:
Thanks for this, CF. We should all vow never to behave like this

At the game I was a bit worried about our backline, Carlisle and Brown are pretty slow...
I thought Carlisle moved pretty well for his size. Actually thought he looked to have pretty good pace and agility for such a big man.

Pleasantly surprised :)

i disagree that there isnt room for a small crumbing fwd. i think there definetly is and theyre worth their weight in gold.

i'd love a walters, betts, cyril and i think its something we are seriously missing. imagine having one of them at the feet of bruce, mccartin, membrey plus roo floating in

the problem is lonie is not that player. he lacks the ability to even provide a contest 1 on 1, the ability to take a mark and the ability to be damaging on goal regularly

right idea, wrong player.

He wins plenty of "contested" possessions, that is providing a contest isn't it?
He got 10 in his last AFL game, along with 3 goals.

Just an FYI for the board. Richo and the coaches ignore the scoreboard and focus on the product and delivery of it. I can tell you that they will be focused heavily on the match stats, if you didnt know the scoreboard you would think we destroyed Port as we beat them in every statistical category besides clearences; http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/jlt-community-series/2017/2/stk-v-port

a few other key stats. Steele had 7 tackles in 35% game time. Stuv was attached to the footy in 50% game time.

The next week they will pull apart the game dissect it and work on particular items. The other key point is that there is next to no opposition planning done in practice games in comparison to the real stuff. These games are purely fitness cohesion and game plan maintenance.
can't wait for the next game,we will only improve on that game

Is it just me, or are others glad we didn't blow the Power away? My heart wanted us to cream them, but my head says thumping wins in the preseason competition are downright misleading.

IIRC port beat us by 70 odd in the 2009 pre season. Very much useless information.

By the way enjoying the advocate reviews so far. Keep em coming! :D

I just noticed in the AFL stats that the most rebound 50's were logged by Dylan Roberton (5) and Seb Ross (4). The most inside 50's on the other hand were David Armitage (7) and Shane Savage (5). Savage only logged 2 rebound 50's for the match. These stats surprised me a little and I'm wondering whether Savage's role has changed, or changed in the course of that game.

Agree with a few on Lonie. Feather with no tricks or serious pressure. Opposition's dream, especially if they're nullifying our talls (or our delivery is).

Stoked with what Dunstan has shown. Absolute gun with the handball in tight. Looks in great shape. Playing slick footy and could well and truly jump a lot of the immense talent from the '13 draft. Great surprise.

Membrey has the potential to be a top 20 player in the comp. He looked like a freak in that opening quarter. Got a great template for Battle to follow.

Really showed at the game how important a tall elite bull of a midfielder is when play breaks down, and the opposition starts to pants you in clearances. A player like Fyfe/Dangerfield can ease those flat patches and stop the run of goals being piled on, through sheer physical will.

Considering the circumstances, thought Carlisle was great.

Roberton is moving like a thoroughbred.

Should take a leaf out of the Dog's book when kicking in and the D50 is cluttered. 3-4 short stab kicks until a player frees up on the mismatch. Then, at the least, we can kick over the congestion and at least have a chance to create something.

If we play fast rebounding footy, with chaos kicks into our forwards, we need classy players at ground level.

Think there is definitely a spot for Webster. Can't have opposition medium sized players outmarking two of our players without being crunched.

I just noticed in the AFL stats that the most rebound 50's were logged by Dylan Roberton (5) and Seb Ross (4). The most inside 50's on the other hand were David Armitage (7) and Shane Savage (5). Savage only logged 2 rebound 50's for the match. These stats surprised me a little and I'm wondering whether Savage's role has changed, or changed in the course of that game.

He seemed to be up the ground quite a bit so possibly.

I thought Robbo was excellent & looks like he's going to go to another level. Great Sam Fisher replacement.

Dunstan BOG. Billings was the best disposer on the field & his class stood out.

Very happy with Bruce clunking a number of marks. Carlisle very good, you wouldn't know he's spend 18 months out of the game.

Steven gave us plenty of drive, when he went off we didn't have much punch into our 50. Need Acres to return who runs in straight lines & takes on the opposition coming towards him.

Longer looked strong as ever in the ruck & took a couple of nice contested marks. Hickey quite disappointing & gave away too many frees in ruck contests. He has credits though.

Steele's intensity & tackling was great however he could work on the offensive side of his game. That's an observation from last night as well as his time at GWS. It'll come, he's an elite runner & his role at St Kilda should allow him to play more attacking.

Paddy clearly looked like the most unfit bloke on the field, in all fairness he likely was & that's not having an intentional dig at him, it's just the reality.

Brown & stevens don't give me a lot of confidence. Stevens looks like depth & Brown looks limited & should only be considered in matches where the opposition have a monster forward such as Hawkins.

Lonie was extremely poor. A liability in contests & doesnt have the strength to apply tackling pressure. His tricks are limited & scoring shots weren't there. Quite clearly not best 22.

Overall it was only a practise game so we can take a lot of the context from the match with a grain of salt. Skills, especially kicking inside 50 a major issue but that will improve with match fitness & the players getting use to the applied pressure.

Brings ACRES back FSS!

Especially with this bloke running around :)

76aeaab3af9fe4d82033af916daa6c95

Haha. hopefully us Essendon fans get to see Francis soon.

I read Steven didn't play second half, anyone else? Possible we got what we wanted out of the first quarter or two and then slacked off/changed some things up? Is the preseason after all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wins plenty of "contested" possessions, that is providing a contest isn't it?
He got 10 in his last AFL game, along with 3 goals.
Against brisbane who packed it in? I'm sorry but I don't care what the stats say he's a liability 1 on 1

Was at the game and have now seen parts of it in the TV.

First quarter and a bit was mostly fantastic and could have been even better (had we not turned over so many of our kicks into the forward line and also kicked so many points) and 2 mins into the 2nd quarter it was 35 to 2, but from then on, we scored just 3 goals 4, 22, to their 7 goals 12, 54.

So they had 19 scoring shots to our 7 from the 2 min mark of the 2nd and to me the main reason for this was pretty obvious and has me slightly concerned going forward.

That reason was that pretty much every time we went forward, we just bombed it long and high and once Port realised that that was what we were going to do, they were able to anticipate it and get numbers to the drop of the ball, to spoil Paddy, Bruce and co., and they then whisked the ball out of there time after time, taking it forward for their chance to score.

As opposed to us, they really lowered their eyes a lot when they went inside 50 though and as a result, were able to hit up leading targets really well on a number of occasions, and that was a huge part of the reason they outscored us by so much throughout the last 3 quarters (and which could have been much worse, had they not kicked so badly for goal).

The reason I'm slightly concerned is that we've been hearing that we want to play a lot more like this (kicking it longer and deeper into the forwardline), but I thought this sort of footy pretty much went out of style years ago, especially in this day and age of zone defences- which feast on teams who just bomb it long and high time after time.

It would be one thing if we had someone over 200cm inside 50 who regularly clunks huge pack marks, but we don't and it's going to be asking a lot if we're expecting Paddy, Bruce and Skunk to take regular marks in huge packs, or if they have one or two from the other side coming over the top of them when they're trying to mark the pill.

Hopefully last night they were just told to kick it long and high every time, to get more used to doing it, but that we will be much more selective during the season proper, because if not, the good back lines in the comp will be licking their lips at the prospect of playing us.

Thought Robbo was our best, with Dunstan close behind, was thrilled with both their games and was extremely happy with how well Carlisle went. He looks like he is going to huge for us back there.

Instead of us being worried about someone from the other team clunking a mark from a high ball into our D50, we can now be confident that that it might be us taking it!

Was at the game and have now seen parts of it in the TV.

First quarter and a bit was mostly fantastic and could have been even better (had we not turned over so many of our kicks into the forward line and also kicked so many points) and 2 mins into the 2nd quarter it was 35 to 2, but from then on, we scored just 3 goals 4, 22, to their 7 goals 12, 54.

So they had 19 scoring shots to our 7 from the 2 min mark of the 2nd and to me the main reason for this was pretty obvious and has me slightly concerned going forward.

That reason was that pretty much every time we went forward, we just bombed it long and high and once Port realised that that was what we were going to do, they were able to anticipate it and get numbers to the drop of the ball, to spoil Paddy, Bruce and co., and they then whisked the ball out of there time after time, taking it forward for their chance to score.

As opposed to us, they really lowered their eyes a lot when they went inside 50 though and as a result, were able to hit up leading targets really well on a number of occasions, and that was a huge part of the reason they outscored us by so much throughout the last 3 quarters (and which could have been much worse, had they not kicked so badly for goal).

The reason I'm slightly concerned is that we've been hearing that we want to play a lot more like this (kicking it longer and deeper into the forwardline), but I thought this sort of footy pretty much went out of style years ago, especially in this day and age of zone defences- which feast on teams who just bomb it long and high time after time.

It would be one thing if we had someone over 200cm inside 50 who regularly clunks huge pack marks, but we don't and it's going to be asking a lot if we're expecting Paddy, Bruce and Skunk to take regular marks in huge packs, or if they have one or two from the other side coming over the top of them when they're trying to mark the pill.

Hopefully last night they were just told to kick it long and high every time, to get more used to doing it, but that we will be much more selective during the season proper, because if not, the good back lines in the comp will be licking their lips at the prospect of playing us.

Thought Robbo was our best, with Dunstan close behind, was thrilled with both their games and was extremely happy with how well Carlisle went. He looks like he is going to huge for us back there.

Instead of us being worried about someone from the other team clunking a mark from a high ball into our D50, we can now be confident that that it might be us taking it!

I totally agree with what you are saying about us planning to use lots of long bombs into the 50. It worried me when I first heard the talk of it and last night didn't do much to put me at ease. I can only hope it's a red herring because I'm not really looking forward to the season if it isn't.

I totally agree with what you are saying about us planning to use lots of long bombs into the 50. It worried me when I first heard the talk of it and last night didn't do much to put me at ease. I can only hope it's a red herring because I'm not really looking forward to the season if it isn't.
Yeah, once Port cottened on to what we were doing, they countered it very easily from that point on and beat us comfortably for the rest of the game, with us really struggling to score for those last 3 quarters as a result. Hombsch taking 7 intercept marks was a telling stat.

North are one team who have gone with the 3 talls forward and kick it long gameplan in the last couple of years, but it only got them so far and I'm not sure too many other teams have tried to play that way.

Yeah, once Port cottened on to what we were doing, they countered it very easily from that point on and beat us comfortably for the rest of the game, with us really struggling to score for those last 3 quarters. Hombsch taking 7 intercept marks was a telling stat.

North are one team who have gone with the 3 talls forward and kick it long gameplan in the last couple of years, but it only got them so far and I'm not sure too many other teams have tried to play that way.

Yeah, long kicks inside 50 have their place but if that's your main focus you are doomed to fail imo. They are easier to execute but they give the opposition an easier counter that more precise short kicks don't offer.

Considering good kicking skills has been a key recruiting component since the rebuild started then I'm not sure I see the wisdom in only using them to get out of defense only to forget about them in the forward half. Some of our short kicking inside 50 last year was very good. I just don't see why we'd stop that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back