Game Day Round 1 JLT- Saints v Power

Remove this Banner Ad

Think sometimes peeps can hugely over analyze the first pre season game of the year.
We did some really good stuff :thumbsu:
Also looked pretty bloody rusty at times.:thumbsdown:

Thats about it really. No need to get over excited or worry about anything that happend on the night.
Doesnt mean anything other than a bit of match fitness.
Youd hope by game three things are a bit sharper.

Just good to see the boys back:thumbsu:
Are you new here?

My primary concern is the amount of good players in our side who often turn the pill over costing us goals.
Gilbo is the top of my list, & whilst he can break out of traffic his disposal hurts us on the scoreboard.
With Carlisle & Brown to slot into the KD posts, I prefer to see Webster takeover Gilbo's defensive role.
More polished by hand or foot, Webster offers us a more viable option with ball in hand coming out of defence. The better sides in the Comp hit targets, & don't often turn the pill over as often as the lesser talented sides do.

I disagree on Gilbert, his line breaking is so far above anyone else on our list that the coaches would put up with his disposal. His ability to move the ball in heavy traffic with out being tackled is a rare quality. Acres is probably the only player I can see taking that part of his game. I thought Jasper Pittard was that p[layer for Port and a few times the Port fans were going off at him but they didn't notice the 15 times he weaved through traffic and sent there ball forward with intent.

Webster looked really unaccountable in his last few senior games and I think his future is on a wing if someone goes down more than the rebound defender role now. He is also very selfless often blocking and shepherding to free team mates who are being chased. So far this year he looks likely to play from round one. It's like people calling for Joey to be dropped from the seniors like we have a ready made player who will pick up the slack of around 30 possessions a game and most meters gained in the team. If we had guys close we would be playing them.

Total Centre Bounces: 18
Centre Bounce Attendance by Players:
Seb Ross (11) – attended 61% of centre bounces
Billy Longer (10) – attended 55% of centre bounces
Luke Dunstan (9) – attended 50% of centre bounces
David Armitage (8) – attended 44% of centre bounces
Tom Hickey (8) – attended 44% of centre bounces
Jack Steele (7) – attended 38% of centre bounces
Jade Gresham (7) – attended 38% of centre bounces
Jack Steven (6) – attended 33% of centre bounces
Koby Stevens (5) – attended 27% of centre bounces
Jack Lonie (1) – attended 5% of centre bounces
Correlation with Time on Ground:
Jack Steele – attended a CB for every 5% time on ground
Billy Longer – attended a CB for every 5.2% time on ground
Tom Hickey – attended a CB for every 6% time on ground
Jade Gresham – attended a CB for every 6.2% time on ground
Seb Ross – attended a CB for every 6.4% time on ground
Jack Steven – attended a CB for every 6.5% time on ground
Luke Dunstan – attended a CB for every 7.8% time on ground
David Armitage – attended a CB for every 9.2% time on ground
Koby Stevens – attended a CB for every 13.8% time on ground
Jack Lonie – attended a CB for every 67% time on ground

Total Centre Bounces: 18
Centre Bounce Attendance by Players:
Seb Ross (11) – attended 61% of centre bounces
Billy Longer (10) – attended 55% of centre bounces
Luke Dunstan (9) – attended 50% of centre bounces
David Armitage (8) – attended 44% of centre bounces
Tom Hickey (8) – attended 44% of centre bounces
Jack Steele (7) – attended 38% of centre bounces
Jade Gresham (7) – attended 38% of centre bounces
Jack Steven (6) – attended 33% of centre bounces
Koby Stevens (5) – attended 27% of centre bounces
Jack Lonie (1) – attended 5% of centre bounces
Correlation with Time on Ground:
Jack Steele – attended a CB for every 5% time on ground
Billy Longer – attended a CB for every 5.2% time on ground
Tom Hickey – attended a CB for every 6% time on ground
Jade Gresham – attended a CB for every 6.2% time on ground
Seb Ross – attended a CB for every 6.4% time on ground
Jack Steven – attended a CB for every 6.5% time on ground
Luke Dunstan – attended a CB for every 7.8% time on ground
David Armitage – attended a CB for every 9.2% time on ground
Koby Stevens – attended a CB for every 13.8% time on ground
Jack Lonie – attended a CB for every 67% time on ground

Interesting Gresham was playing in the middle more than Stevens. I'm not sure where he was setting up but at the Dogs he seems to go better as an inside mid.

I disagree on Gilbert, his line breaking is so far above anyone else on our list that the coaches would put up with his disposal. His ability to move the ball in heavy traffic with out being tackled is a rare quality. Acres is probably the only player I can see taking that part of his game. I thought Jasper Pittard was that p[layer for Port and a few times the Port fans were going off at him but they didn't notice the 15 times he weaved through traffic and sent there ball forward with intent.

Webster looked really unaccountable in his last few senior games and I think his future is on a wing if someone goes down more than the rebound defender role now. He is also very selfless often blocking and shepherding to free team mates who are being chased. So far this year he looks likely to play from round one. It's like people calling for Joey to be dropped from the seniors like we have a ready made player who will pick up the slack of around 30 possessions a game and most meters gained in the team. If we had guys close we would be playing them.
Unaccountable? Were we watching the same bloke last year?

Firstly, Webster played on Wingard in round 1, with Wingard pretty much not touching the ball until Hinkley was forced to move him to the midfield to get a touch halfway through the 2nd quarter.

Secondly, in the game against GWS, Jimmy was forced to play on Lobb & somehow managed to keep him goalless despite the 20-odd cm height difference.

I know that's just 2 examples, but Jimmy is arguably the most defensive minded defender in the team, probably only 2nd to Geary. Also had very solid games, Stats wise, against Pies, Eagles & Blues before injury finished his season.

I believe Richo has approached his coachin of Jimmy the right way. He's quite an attacking player naturally so Richo forced him to learn to play more defensively, which going forward will see him be a far more rounded & better player than someone like Jasper Pittard.

Gotta remember too that Jimmy has only played 50 games & they've all been in an undersized defensive line. He'll be a ripper once he's part of a unit with 2 true KPDs & a more experienced & structured team around him.

Gresham was a amazing but he had the advantage of fresh legs. If he can get clearances at a whim once the real stuff starts that will be another very nice weapon to add to his already dynamic arsenal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steven had more disposals than Stevens but were Steven's disposals as effective as Stevens'.
( don't really care just playing with their names ).
even Stevens

Remove this Banner Ad

Back