Game Day Round 1 JLT- Saints v Power

was more everywhere on the ground and was able to provide a contest and defencive pressure. statistics would say wright had the better game, but i think gilbert played better

i like the idea of roo and gilbert playing off the bench. i think the height on the wings and pushing down back will have some sides seriously stretched. roo and gilbert can also pretty much run all day

Was just same old average Gilbert me. Not great, not bad just average in every sense of the word.

was more everywhere on the ground and was able to provide a contest and defencive pressure. statistics would say wright had the better game, but i think gilbert played better

i like the idea of roo and gilbert playing off the bench. i think the height on the wings and pushing down back will have some sides seriously stretched. roo and gilbert can also pretty much run all day

I think Stevens had a better game than both of them.

Look at the contested mark stats. We don't have many options around the ground (i.e. those that roam the midfield)

He took a couple of absolute classic pack marks.

I must have watched a different game. Thought he was poor.

I wouldn't have said Stevens was poor but below what I thought he would produce from seeing him at the Dogs. I thought Steele was even more so. Watching the replay highlights I think he was better than he appeared at the ground. It looked like he was slow and second to the ball but it looks like a few more of his possessions came off than I thought. His miss on goal was a bit of a shame though and a bit of a momentum sapper. Over all I thought he was average. Dunstan played the game I expected of him. Gilbert looked very good at the ground though, I thought his running, line breaking and marking were excellent and his second efforts and team play make his stats look less than his output. He (along with Robbo) looked like the winner from Brown and carlisle coming in.

Dempster Brown Geary
Montagna Carlisle Roberton
Newnes Armo Roo
Billings Bruce Weller
**** McCartin Membrey
Hickey Ross Steven
Gilbert Savage Dunstan ****

I'd play Gresham in the FP over Wright.
And then Steele or Acres on the bench.
Stevens, Longer, McKenzie, Webster offer great depth.
I would personally drop Gilbert for Steele or Acres depending on form and injuries. I feel like Acres can do a pretty similar role to what Gilbert does and they both share pretty much the same height and some attributes. Gilbert is a good depth player with good experience. Our style requires plenty of legs, taking 2 ruckmans with back ups in Bruce and Carlisle is bit too risky. Depending on who we play, we can take 2 rucks but I would personally stick with Hickey or Longer with Carlisle/Bruce back up.

Phoenix_9

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
St Kilda
I would personally drop Gilbert for Steele or Acres depending on form and injuries. I feel like Acres can do a pretty similar role to what Gilbert does and they both share pretty much the same height and some attributes. Gilbert is a good depth player with good experience. Our style requires plenty of legs, taking 2 ruckmans with back ups in Bruce and Carlisle is bit too risky. Depending on who we play, we can take 2 rucks but I would personally stick with Hickey or Longer with Carlisle/Bruce back up.
If I could place a bet on Gilbert being in the best 22 come the start of the season, I would, with confidence. He has deficiencies, but he also has many strengths that will see him selected.

bennymc7

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Anyone else reckon Acres must have got a bit ahead of himself over the summer and now been taught a lesson in missing out on games??

Only reason i see for his omission... he should be breathing fire when he gets a go!

#gosaintas

Cancelled
Veteran Reimagine Moorabbin
Nov 11, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Anyone else reckon Acres must have got a bit ahead of himself over the summer and now been taught a lesson in missing out on games??

Only reason i see for his omission... he should be breathing fire when he gets a go!

I reckon that's bang on the money

He might have done something off field the club has kept in house. Could have come in with poor skin folds or anything. No use speculating, he just needs to make the most of his next game and make them realise why he is important. My son was watching the highlights of Mav Weller on Youtube last night and he and Acres together made a very good team. I can't wait until he gets back in, he was ahead of Jack Billings at the end off the year.

Significant

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
As Gilbert's advocate, I feel that he is being harshly judged at the moment.

His flexibility shouldn't be undervalued - can easily play back, forward and through the middle, as well as playing lock down or free wheeling roles. We also shouldn't undervalue having another cool head down back who does the 1% and reads the play as well as he does.

Is a solid mark and tackle from his rugby background and can easily run all day, is strong in a contest (which sometimes cannot be said for all our players, particularly the young) and I would say has a very coachable, team oriented attitude.

Like the news, we all focus completely on the negatives around us - we lambaste Sam for an ugly helicopter kick he has done under pressure, but don't celebrate the fist he gets in to spoil or the ground ball attack in congestion.

I don't think he is a complete lock in our 22, but he has the runs on the board to at least be given the go there until our young players show greater consistency.

Back