Autopsy Round 1: Loss against the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

L
No no, all good as in no point continuing the discussion to allow you to embarrass yourself further.
Which I shan't.
LOL. Nice dismount with a generic cut'n'paste comment. Not the most graceful of landings, but you were really logically contorting beyond breaking strain.

Yeah, I wasn't talking about ball skill fundamentals and techniques. I was talking about reacting to game day situations when plan A isn't really working

The aren't many, if any, coaches that have a clearly defineable plan B though. They'd much rather tweak the components within the methods they've worked so hard with the players to get so familiar and ingrained they can operate instinctively within it.

Peak teamwork obviously is all 18/23 players being able to sync together.

Certain plays are more easily introduced mid game of season. But it can be doubly hard execute when things aren't going well.

I’d like us to have the vision to look at the half backs, midfield and go with youth.
That means Walker, Johnson, with Erasmus rotating with Fyfe for stints in the
middle.
Wilson even Ryan maybe long kicks, but I’d rather play Walker and Ryan needs to
know his limitations.
Young, Chapman or Clarke, one of them needs to get midfield minutes.
Serong should also rest forward.
Just feels to me that we play safe, midfield and backs very predictable.
Sure we get plenty of inside 50’s, but it’s not quality ball or at speed to
help the forwards find separation.
Jlo needs to show some trust, and also keep an eye on the future. Some of these
guys are depth at best.

I think we should hit up the lead that was loose all the time against the saints, about 55m out when the ball was 75m out. Still on the flank but that ball is dropping at the top of the goal square and we have time to set up while Brayshaw or Schultz (who it usually was) pretend they are lining up a shot.

And Walker out. It's a major tool of ours that nobody bothered to put the batteries in.
TBH
Walker needed a strong reminder to get his awareness game together .
Blew it in that final then was seen doing exactly the same s**t in the pre-season games

I reckon he will struggle to get a guernsey till a backline injury
Chappy , Clarke and Young all ahead of him in maturity and poise .

TBH
Walker needed a strong reminder to get his awareness game together .
Blew it in that final then was seen doing exactly the same s**t in the pre-season games

I reckon he will struggle to get a guernsey till a backline injury
Chappy , Clarke and Young all ahead of him in maturity and poise .
Walker breaks the line, and he has what played 20 AFL games?
One really bad game, but I think we need his run and back him to grow.
The other guys in front of him, I wouldn’t play all of them at HB.
I’d fix the wings, midfield and instead of slowing the play or sideways movement
Run and stun, we have pace, gifted footballers, I don’t want us to be a clone
of that WC style of 018, besides we don’t have the forwards to pull it off.
To me it appears to be a gameplan issue, no risk no reward.
At worst it sets us up for the future to take the league by storm and develop
forward craft.

Walker breaks the line, and he has what played 20 AFL games?
One really bad game, but I think we need his run and back him to grow.
The other guys in front of him, I wouldn’t play all of them at HB.
I’d fix the wings, midfield and instead of slowing the play or sideways movement
Run and stun, we have pace, gifted footballers, I don’t want us to be a clone
of that WC style of 018, besides we don’t have the forwards to pull it off.
To me it appears to be a gameplan issue, no risk no reward.
At worst it sets us up for the future to take the league by storm and develop
forward craft.
Yes but here is the conundrum
Who plays where and who goes out of best 22 ?
And if we are trying to blood young talent how do you give them all enough game time to keep them interested?

Example Henry:
The kid has got sublime skills , no doubt and he has started to take the game on and show what he is capable of .
But where does he play ?
Does he own a Wing or does he play forward ?
Personally I think he would make a good small forward . But who does he push out ? Freddy for mine but then Freddy has shown glimpses of what he is capable of and it’s exciting.
Does Drizzle own the other wing ? I would like to think so but where does that put Aish ?
Clarke would be a perfect wing , fast , good balance of defensive and attacking mindset and good foot skills .
That opens up a HB position for Walker.
I don’t see Young or Chappy as midfielders personally, not quite quick enough and too valuable in defence .

Despite their admirable efforts, Hughes and Banfield definitely should not be in the best 22 team but are excellent Peel options if they choose to stick around, if not no great loss .

I was amazed Hughes was even still playing AFL after some of his howlers over the years , but he has been decent as a defender , just lacks confidence going forward.

This is the problem when we end up with too many shiny toys ? 😁

If we are playing tall then the one thing we DEFINITELY can't do, is drop so ******* many marks
Treacy x 2, Taberner, Darcy. That is at least 3 goals from the positions they were dropped from.

I just watched yesterday's training pics. All taking easy marks under no pressure. Why aren't we training our forwards under marking pressure??. Under 10 kids could take those marks in the traing pics.

Treacy x 2, Taberner, Darcy. That is at least 3 goals from the positions they were dropped from.

I just watched yesterday's training pics. All taking easy marks under no pressure. Why aren't we training our forwards under marking pressure??. Under 10 kids could take those marks in the traing pics.
As long as they're doing that with a focus on watching the ball into the hands and having soft hands as well, then they can get quite a lot out of a non pressure training situation. Simplifying it allows them to have more cognitive resources to focus on the elements.

A further frustration with those dropped marks is that they had done so well to get in a clear position to take the mark and got two hands to the ball. Then it just slipped through their grasp. Unforced errors really.

Add Fyfe and Jackson to the dropping sodas inside 50 lost

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's my take on the game

1st Saints flooded all game. Ross has only one trick and it worked.
Freo looked slow because all game we tried to kick through the flood pin point. This didn't work.

2nd As good as we looked all preseason and yes I really pumped us up, Freo barely trained for a Ross Lyon flood. The congestion hurt our forward entries and leading patterns.

3rd We didn't play our best players. Not an excuse to lose but Hughes is clearly not best 22. Both NOD and Walters aren't match fit or they would replace Hughes and Banfield. Banners made zero impact as sub.

Finally, Fyfe isn't a full forward Let him roam and play to his strengths. He had zero impact all game.

Under 10's could've taken the one's that Darcy and Treacy dropped in the game too, but of course you are right. After last week's effort of avoiding kicking to a contest at all costs, I'd be training them in 2 v 1 and 3 v 2 contests all week.

3rd We didn't play our best players. Not an excuse to lose but Hughes is clearly not best 22. Both NOD and Walters aren't match fit or they would replace Hughes and Banfield. Banners made zero impact as sub.
I know you've said "not an excuse to lose" but the implication is that it had a significant impact on the team's performance, enough to put in jeopardy a win against a side that not even the most optimistic Saints fan expects to be lifting the cup at the end of the year. If that's the case, then give up on the season, and perhaps even fold the club. It almost never happens that a club has a full playing list to choose from and is in the position to send out the so-called best 22. Even this last weekend, with the best availability I can remember, we were still down one more players who are arguably B22 (I know there is some debate over at least one of them).

If selecting Hughes and/or Banfield is the difference between a win and a loss, then we are nowhere near it. I personally don't believe that.

I know you've said "not an excuse to lose" but the implication is that it had a significant impact on the team's performance, enough to put in jeopardy a win against a side that not even the most optimistic Saints fan expects to be lifting the cup at the end of the year. If that's the case, then give up on the season, and perhaps even fold the club. It almost never happens that a club has a full playing list to choose from and is in the position to send out the so-called best 22. Even this last weekend, with the best availability I can remember, we were still down one more players who are arguably B22 (I know there is some debate over at least one of them).

If selecting Hughes and/or Banfield is the difference between a win and a loss, then we are nowhere near it. I personally don't believe that.

I agree I was simply saying Hughes is at an age where he should have developed into an afl player. It makes me wonder if he will ever make it. Same with Banfield

Yet we still select them

Last edited:
I agree I was simply saying Hughes is at an age where he should have developed into an afl player. It makes me wonder if he will ever make it. Same with Banfield

Yet we still select them
These guys are good servants and depth for the club. It’s the same for Hamling
Wilson, Colyer, break glass in case of emergency.
Tabs?
If we are a serious contender hard decisions have to be made.
Not everyone gets to go out on their terms, and sometimes the end is closer
than many think.

These guys are good servants and depth for the club. It’s the same for Hamling
Wilson, Colyer, break glass in case of emergency.
Tabs?
If we are a serious contender hard decisions have to be made.
Not everyone gets to go out on their terms, and sometimes the end is closer
than many think.

That's the whole point - last week wasn't an emergency

Yes but here is the conundrum
Who plays where and who goes out of best 22 ?
And if we are trying to blood young talent how do you give them all enough game time to keep them interested?

Example Henry:
The kid has got sublime skills , no doubt and he has started to take the game on and show what he is capable of .
But where does he play ?
Does he own a Wing or does he play forward ?
Personally I think he would make a good small forward . But who does he push out ? Freddy for mine but then Freddy has shown glimpses of what he is capable of and it’s exciting.
Does Drizzle own the other wing ? I would like to think so but where does that put Aish ?
Clarke would be a perfect wing , fast , good balance of defensive and attacking mindset and good foot skills .
That opens up a HB position for Walker.
I don’t see Young or Chappy as midfielders personally, not quite quick enough and too valuable in defence .

Despite their admirable efforts, Hughes and Banfield definitely should not be in the best 22 team but are excellent Peel options if they choose to stick around, if not no great loss .

I was amazed Hughes was even still playing AFL after some of his howlers over the years , but he has been decent as a defender , just lacks confidence going forward.

This is the problem when we end up with too many shiny toys ? 😁
It may be a conundrum but these are not the most difficult questions a good, experienced AFL coach with a decent list needs to face.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back