Autopsy Round 1: Loss against the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaches votes for saints were given to Wilkie (7), Sinclair (5), Battle (2), Wood (1) and Byrnes (1)
Cox and Ryan each got 7 votes too , which means at least one of them got given 5 votes by a coach. Strange stuff
I thought Sinclair was BOG myself

s**t how did I forget Sinclair , yeah dude never fumbles

Watched the first half, there was a moment in the first quarter that was symbolic of the limitations of Tabs and Hughes - two poor decision makers - and then what appeared to be the general approach to the game

7:30 on the clock, Tabs INEXPLICABLY ignores Freddy and goes back to JOM which sets the whole chain back.
1679364874645.png

Jackson then eventually gets the ball from JOM, he takes the safe option of handpassing wide to Hughes instead of coming back inside and backing his 198cm frame to either get through the defender and pump the ball in or release Freddy inside to pump the ball in. This is a coaching mentality issue, BE BRAVE
1679365149236.png

Not to be outdone, we see Hughes with all his limitations. Hughes, receives the handball see's a player near him and immediately gives up any idea of getting the ball forward to Fyfe. He stops, and inexpicably goes backwards to Serong who turns it over. According Dwayne, Fyfe is 1 on 1 in front of him. GET. HIM. THE. BALL. Imagine Noddy here instead of Hughes...

1679365230537.png

Watched the first half, there was a moment in the first quarter that was symbolic of the limitations of Tabs and Hughes - two poor decision makers - and then what appeared to be the general approach to the game

7:30 on the clock, Tabs INEXPLICABLY ignores Freddy and goes back to JOM which sets the whole chain back.
View attachment 1635504

Jackson then eventually gets the ball from JOM, he takes the safe option of handpassing wide to Hughes instead of coming back inside and backing his 198cm frame to either get through the defender and pump the ball in or release Freddy inside to pump the ball in. This is a coaching mentality issue, BE BRAVE
View attachment 1635506

Not to be outdone, we see Hughes with all his limitations. Hughes, receives the handball see's a player near him and immediately gives up any idea of getting the ball forward to Fyfe. He stops, and inexpicably goes backwards to Serong who turns it over. According Dwayne, Fyfe is 1 on 1 in front of him. GET. HIM. THE. BALL. Imagine Noddy here instead of Hughes...

View attachment 1635508
And you can follow up this passage with our next inside 50 where Schultz has a terrific crumb moves it onto Fyfe immediately with a semi difficult kick who takes the mark, is forced to go back but plays on immediately to hit Schultz back up who just misses a kick to Tabs but Switta does some magic for a shot on goal even though he misses. Move it forward, and move it forward fast...

Hughes has his limitations and I believe he plays within them, he got a lot of flack for a fumble after Clark handballed to the grass in front of him but I didn't see a braver action than him watching the ball while running back into the pack.

His direct opponent was the St Kilda team high score involvements, that's a bad thing, and almost twice the metres gained to Hughes. That's enough reason to look for alternatives for that position.

I'm also convinced that Henry is just about there. He's now an AFL level player but there is still scope for him to develop a shitload in the next few years. He's finding the right balance between going for to much and being brave. Anyone who has Hughes ahead of him is nuts as far as I'm concerned

I'm also convinced that Henry is just about there. He's now an AFL level player but there is still scope for him to develop a shitload in the next few years. He's finding the right balance between going for to much and being brave. Anyone who has Hughes ahead of him is nuts as far as I'm concerned
How was the bravery to hit Taberner with that kick amongst three Saints and old concrete hands drops the mark?

Then the looping handball in the last quarter, 30 meter handball from the boundary, over one of our own players hitting the next guy running last into more space.

That’s why Henry was good

How was the bravery to hit Taberner with that kick amongst three Saints and old concrete hands drops the mark?

Then the looping handball in the last quarter, 30 meter handball from the boundary, over one of our own players hitting the next guy running last into more space.

That’s why Henry was good
Yeah, when he gets the ball, things happen, he'll still on occasion bite off just a little bit more than he should but I'll live with that since he's legit creating 2-3 scoring opportunities a game that no one else can.

Henry would also just about rather die then kick it long to a pack or chip it backwards 30m which is worth it's weight in gold in our team. Collingwood would love him

When teams are smashed out of the stoppages, their midfield is embarrassed, as ours was on the weekend the wingers usually disappear. Liam didn't.

When midfields get smashed their forward lines look rubbish, when the tall forwards get no supply the smalls have to get up the ground to be involved.

It's a simple fix, perhaps not easy, but simple. Win more hard ball and more clearances. Win a clearance from our ruckman getting hands to the ball. Run the ball out of the middle with carry over a kick, get a deep inside fifty.

he got a fair amount of the ball which surprised me as it seemed we hardly sought him out in our structures, i think hes added a lot to his game in the games ive seen this year re his defensive work and if we can manage to use him going into the forward half he could have a massive impact for us

When teams are smashed out of the stoppages, their midfield is embarrassed, as ours was on the weekend the wingers usually disappear. Liam didn't.

When midfields get smashed their forward lines look rubbish, when the tall forwards get no supply the smalls have to get up the ground to be involved.

It's a simple fix, perhaps not easy, but simple. Win more hard ball and more clearances. Win a clearance from our ruckman getting hands to the ball. Run the ball out of the middle with carry over a kick, get a deep inside fifty.
good point re the smalls having to get up the ground, that then left us with the slow bastards having to pressure/crumb their own ball as they invariably drop a mark off their chest.

obviously would have been less of an issue if the talls took some marks then allowed the smalls to push hard forward into, hopefully a empty 50

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I look at our recruitment and think about what is their optimum game style I don't come up with what happened against the Saints.

Our backline has speed and fantastic kicking as weapons. Break the line and get the ball forward fast kind of stuff.

Our midfield centres around a weaponised ruck pairing and while the incumbent midfield unit is a little same-ish we are holding Johnson and Erasmus as aces, and we also have Fyfe. That is a gun midfield, and I don't mean a gun midfield of the future.

Our forward line may be a work in progress but we don't seem to provide them with the best opportunity to score. We don't seem to have the balance right and we so far haven't got a forward entry strategy that gives any confidence.

good point re the smalls having to get up the ground, that then left us with the slow bastards having to pressure/crumb their own ball as they invariably drop a mark off their chest.

obviously would have been less of an issue if the talls took some marks then allowed the smalls to push hard forward into, hopefully a empty 50

This was at least partly because of poor selection decisions. A forward line with Fyfe, Taberner, Treacy and Jackson was always going to be slow.

The forward line was shambolic, and they deserve their whack, but our much vaunted backline, while they defended well, still has some work to do. Things like:
  • Handball receives - players like Young, Clark, Wilson and Chapman should be running past stoppage plays in the middle and taking advantage of the stand on the mark rule.
  • Overlap run - I want to see more running in waves, particularly through the corridor. Those running backs should be starting to build some chemistry that they know when to take off and leave the general defending (in case of turnover) to Pearce, Cox and Ryan.
  • "Down the middle" - too often our rebounds out of defence still hug the boundary. We have to attack the middle and give our forwards more options and space for their leads. Coming down the wings might be easier, but it definitely makes it harder to get the ball into a more attacking position forward of centre.
  • Play on! - I'd love to see some stats of what percentage of times we played on from a mark or free kick. Nowhere near enough would be my gut feel.
I'd love to see Walker come back into the team. His brain fades and eye popping turnovers are frustrating but his other attributes of small forward defence and maniacal counter attacks are exactly what we need.
I agree with this so much.

One of the things that had me screaming at the TV was our inability to use the man on the mark rule to our advantage. JL and the team should be forced to watch Jnr Roili's goal from the port game on loop for a solid hour.
In an alternative universe we have moved Clark to a wing and play both Walker and Wilson in the backline.
Amen

The forward line was shambolic, and they deserve their whack, but our much vaunted backline, while they defended well, still has some work to do. Things like:
  • Handball receives - players like Young, Clark, Wilson and Chapman should be running past stoppage plays in the middle and taking advantage of the stand on the mark rule.
  • Overlap run - I want to see more running in waves, particularly through the corridor. Those running backs should be starting to build some chemistry that they know when to take off and leave the general defending (in case of turnover) to Pearce, Cox and Ryan.
  • "Down the middle" - too often our rebounds out of defence still hug the boundary. We have to attack the middle and give our forwards more options and space for their leads. Coming down the wings might be easier, but it definitely makes it harder to get the ball into a more attacking position forward of centre.
  • Play on! - I'd love to see some stats of what percentage of times we played on from a mark or free kick. Nowhere near enough would be my gut feel.
I'd love to see Walker come back into the team. His brain fades and eye popping turnovers are frustrating but his other attributes of small forward defence and maniacal counter attacks are exactly what we need.
The other thing about Walker is that he is lightning fast.

If Fyfe is to remain in the FWD line he really needs to become that leader that directs the other FWDs. If he can develop that and Serong/Brayshaw can develop their leadership skills further we should have solid leaders across every line
Fyfe himself admitted that he has no idea and is even learning from Amiss, I don’t think he can be the forward set up guy

He's definitely come on and he bagged more possessions than I thought he would. And I certainly have him ahead of Hughes. Last year he was trade bait so happy about this.

But... there's always one. But his meters gained, playing on the wing, not even top 10 for us. In fact the only people worse were the forwards (big surprise there), O'Mera and Darcy. All of who had less TOG than he did.

However my enduring thoughts during the gamer were. "You're quick why aren't you playing on". Or a much more angry. "Stop kicking/hand balling it backwards".

So whilst he didn't push my buttons as much as some. I'll take Noddy and stretches of Freddy and Clarke on the wing over both him and hughes. Some are probably thinking two out and only one in. I would be re balancing the side and Henry doesn't make it. Sub yes. Team or IC no.

Yeah, when he gets the ball, things happen, he'll still on occasion bite off just a little bit more than he should but I'll live with that since he's legit creating 2-3 scoring opportunities a game that no one else can.

Henry would also just about rather die then kick it long to a pack or chip it backwards 30m which is worth it's weight in gold in our team. Collingwood would love him
He would rather die than go for goal too, goes to water inside 50

)
He's definitely come on and he bagged more possessions than I thought he would. And I certainly have him ahead of Hughes. Last year he was trade bait so happy about this.

But... there's always one. But his meters gained, playing on the wing, not even top 10 for us. In fact the only people worse were the forwards (big surprise there), O'Mera and Darcy. All of who had less TOG than he did.

However my enduring thoughts during the gamer were. "You're quick why aren't you playing on". Or a much more angry. "Stop kicking/hand balling it backwards".

So whilst he didn't push my buttons as much as some. I'll take Noddy and stretches of Freddy and Clarke on the wing over both him and hughes. Some are probably thinking two out and only one in. I would be re balancing the side and Henry doesn't make it. Sub yes. Team or IC no.

I think some are getting over excited about Henry when assessing his performance by taking into consideration his improvement rather than rating the performance as it is/was. He's on the right track but he's still got a long, long way to go and I certainly wouldn't be using Hughes as a benchmark that's for sure, he was poor and Henry only slightly better. The wings are still a weakness of ours that we must fix if we want to progress.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back