Autopsy Round 1: Loss against the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Just finished watching the game and I could only make it through a few pages of this thread. Why am I doing this, you ask? Catharsis. Here are my thoughts.

- Hunger. The Saints clearly were playing typical RTB style football and wanted it more than we did. Good on Ross for being able to get that effort out of a decimated team (8 starters injured; 14 total injuries on their list).

- Decisions. How many times did we go laterally instead of up the ground? I was yelling at our players saying "ok, good, one more. one more. good. nice handball. one more. Wait, what? Wtf? Why did you go backwards?" When there was a decision to be made, especially in the middle of the ground, we often made the wrong decision. Lack of vision? Game plan? No clue but it was hella fustrating.

- Long bombs. I would have bet my house that our forward line would have been moving around creating space for each other when we had the ball on the mark 60m out from goal. I thought we were going to see some true forward craft. I know I saw forwards leading at the ball in the preseason for **** sake. Instead, there was literally ZERO movement. And the movement we had was garbage. Here is a shot where tabs was kicking the ball and everyone is running away from him.

View attachment 1634452

Another example. Moose is about to kick it i50 and everyone is just standing around, either walking away from the ball or just standing there. Where the **** is the lead up target forward?

View attachment 1634453

The result of this long bomb was Tabs being in front of the contest, Henry being not in the contest and a Saints player easily going up and punching it out. Great result.

View attachment 1634456

This is how the entire game went for the most part. Our forward line was stagnant and we didn't try and create mismatches within the saints defense by moving people around and making it hard to defend us. I can see why many of you are bitching about the game plan. It looked like they were told to do this. However, we had a glimpse of a true forward craft in the 4th (which was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too late). Young delivers a ball to a leading Fyfe into space. Fyfe marks it but missed the goal in true Freo style.

View attachment 1634480

- Disposals. 4 of the top 5 ball getters were on defense. wtf?!?! Luke Ryan with 37 disposals?!! How does that even happen? Give credit to the saints for their defensive discipline behind the ball. They were stifling and our sloooooooow decision making played right into their hands. Additionally, Serong's 29 disposals were probably the quietest disposals in the history of the game. In the 3rd quarter I started to wonder if he had been subbed out.

View attachment 1634460

- Overlaps. The saints had runners on all sides of the ball carrier all night. Drove me nuts. Here is what we saw when we got the ball in the corridor. No overlaps. Everyone is running away from the ball carrier. (result of this was an out of bounds on the full).

View attachment 1634481

Saints player is getting the ball here. Do you see anyone far off to the left? Nope. Me neither.
View attachment 1634482

But someone off screen is running their ass off and all of a sudden a guy off to the left streams in. He handballs.

View attachment 1634472

This guy gets the ball and notices ANOTHER overlapping run i50 to his left with a HELLA ton of space! Result: Goal.

View attachment 1634483

- Facial expressions. I was yelling at the TV and coaching hard from a completely different continent for a full 3.5 quarters. Here's what I looked like with 2 minutes to go in the game. Sadly, this is what our coach looked like with 9:13 left in the third and up by 6 points.

View attachment 1634461

- Signs. If this was the sign for "keep doing what you're doing which is losing us the game" then mission accomplished. Is it a sail boat? An Olympic flame? A crab claw? I don't know but I hope this is the last time I see this stupid sign this year. Note to JL: It didn't work.

View attachment 1634487

Finally, SKILLS, skills, and muther****** skills. Here's a shot from 4th quarter. Schultz gets the ball (I thought schultz had a good game overall actually). He intercepted a ball and is delivering it to a leading Tracey running into space. It looks perfect.

View attachment 1634497

Oh, but wait, he overcooks it. and Josh has to change direction and chase it. The offender becomes the defender and the ball transitions out of the saints back half easily.
View attachment 1634501

Invisibility or game plan? JOM 68% TOG and 19 disposals? Hmmm... Brodie 68% TOG and 20 disposals. Brayshaw 78% TOG and 26 disposals.

David Mundy in his last regular season game agains GWS: 75% TOG, 1 goal, and 30 disposals.

This week: Angus Brayshaw 86% TOG, Oliver 84%, Petracca 84%, Bontempelli 84%, Lachie Neale 86%, Patrick Cripps 84%. What are we doing? Please, someone explain it to me.

Where do we go from here? Optimistically, it is only one game and there's a ton of time to right the ship. There have been lots of teams at the top of the ladder and missed finals (see North Melbourne) and teams at the bottom who have scrapped their way in. For perspective, here is the score from our last meeting with the saints. FYI: We lost. Where did we finish on the ladder last year? 5th. And we won a final. Just chill everyone.

View attachment 1634507

Pessimistically, how could we dish up this garbage after all of the off season work? Are the youngsters getting ahead of themselves? Does our newly minted captain need to give them all a reality check? Where is our star recruit LJackson? What if we don't get better? What if this is the best we'll ever be? What if we can't get it up when the pressures on? Gosh, after reading the posts here, it is likely we're gonna win the wooden spoon and JL will be fired round 8....or....maybe 9.

For those of you who ready to throw in the towel, don't do it just yet. Just stick with the boys and let it play out. We lost a game we were supposed to win but we'll win some games we're supposed to lose. As you can see from above, we lost to the saints last year and had a fairly successful season by all accounts. Don't give up just yet. :) The season is a long and winding road.
Outstanding! You should be working for the club.

A couple of times yesterday Darcy took marks around 50m out but passed it off. He’s got a massive boot on him - why didn’t he kick the set shots himself? He can easily make the distance from 55m. There was one in the third quarter that was especially annoying

It took the guys an embarrassing amount of time to work out the ball flies further when the roof is shut.

I'd love to see some down the ground vision...
I want to see what options were there as we moved forward.

Because it seems to me we crabbed sideways when we should be moving the ball positively and quickly

There were a number of times where young was free in the middle but guys didn’t use him. Either lack of confidence or instructions. We overused the ball something chronic waiting for the best option that never appeared.

Kicking into the forward line was worse because there wasn’t actually options. The forward line was almost completely stagnant. Some kicks from Henry looked bad but kicked it to where you would logically think tabs could crash the pack and he didn’t get near it.

(Unfortunately I flew over for the game)

Just finished watching the game and I could only make it through a few pages of this thread. Why am I doing this, you ask? Catharsis. Here are my thoughts.

- Hunger. The Saints clearly were playing typical RTB style football and wanted it more than we did. Good on Ross for being able to get that effort out of a decimated team (8 starters injured; 14 total injuries on their list).

- Decisions. How many times did we go laterally instead of up the ground? I was yelling at our players saying "ok, good, one more. one more. good. nice handball. one more. Wait, what? Wtf? Why did you go backwards?" When there was a decision to be made, especially in the middle of the ground, we often made the wrong decision. Lack of vision? Game plan? No clue but it was hella fustrating.

- Long bombs. I would have bet my house that our forward line would have been moving around creating space for each other when we had the ball on the mark 60m out from goal. I thought we were going to see some true forward craft. I know I saw forwards leading at the ball in the preseason for **** sake. Instead, there was literally ZERO movement. And the movement we had was garbage. Here is a shot where tabs was kicking the ball and everyone is running away from him.

View attachment 1634452

Another example. Moose is about to kick it i50 and everyone is just standing around, either walking away from the ball or just standing there. Where the **** is the lead up target forward?

View attachment 1634453

The result of this long bomb was Tabs being in front of the contest, Henry being not in the contest and a Saints player easily going up and punching it out. Great result.

View attachment 1634456

This is how the entire game went for the most part. Our forward line was stagnant and we didn't try and create mismatches within the saints defense by moving people around and making it hard to defend us. I can see why many of you are bitching about the game plan. It looked like they were told to do this. However, we had a glimpse of a true forward craft in the 4th (which was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too late). Young delivers a ball to a leading Fyfe into space. Fyfe marks it but missed the goal in true Freo style.

View attachment 1634480

- Disposals. 4 of the top 5 ball getters were on defense. wtf?!?! Luke Ryan with 37 disposals?!! How does that even happen? Give credit to the saints for their defensive discipline behind the ball. They were stifling and our sloooooooow decision making played right into their hands. Additionally, Serong's 29 disposals were probably the quietest disposals in the history of the game. In the 3rd quarter I started to wonder if he had been subbed out.

View attachment 1634460

- Overlaps. The saints had runners on all sides of the ball carrier all night. Drove me nuts. Here is what we saw when we got the ball in the corridor. No overlaps. Everyone is running away from the ball carrier. (result of this was an out of bounds on the full).

View attachment 1634481

Saints player is getting the ball here. Do you see anyone far off to the left? Nope. Me neither.
View attachment 1634482

But someone off screen is running their ass off and all of a sudden a guy off to the left streams in. He handballs.

View attachment 1634472

This guy gets the ball and notices ANOTHER overlapping run i50 to his left with a HELLA ton of space! Result: Goal.

View attachment 1634483

- Facial expressions. I was yelling at the TV and coaching hard from a completely different continent for a full 3.5 quarters. Here's what I looked like with 2 minutes to go in the game. Sadly, this is what our coach looked like with 9:13 left in the third and up by 6 points.

View attachment 1634461

- Signs. If this was the sign for "keep doing what you're doing which is losing us the game" then mission accomplished. Is it a sail boat? An Olympic flame? A crab claw? I don't know but I hope this is the last time I see this stupid sign this year. Note to JL: It didn't work.

View attachment 1634487

Finally, SKILLS, skills, and muther****** skills. Here's a shot from 4th quarter. Schultz gets the ball (I thought schultz had a good game overall actually). He intercepted a ball and is delivering it to a leading Tracey running into space. It looks perfect.

View attachment 1634497

Oh, but wait, he overcooks it. and Josh has to change direction and chase it. The offender becomes the defender and the ball transitions out of the saints back half easily.
View attachment 1634501

Invisibility or game plan? JOM 68% TOG and 19 disposals? Hmmm... Brodie 68% TOG and 20 disposals. Brayshaw 78% TOG and 26 disposals.

David Mundy in his last regular season game agains GWS: 75% TOG, 1 goal, and 30 disposals.

This week: Angus Brayshaw 86% TOG, Oliver 84%, Petracca 84%, Bontempelli 84%, Lachie Neale 86%, Patrick Cripps 84%. What are we doing? Please, someone explain it to me.

Where do we go from here? Optimistically, it is only one game and there's a ton of time to right the ship. There have been lots of teams at the top of the ladder and missed finals (see North Melbourne) and teams at the bottom who have scrapped their way in. For perspective, here is the score from our last meeting with the saints. FYI: We lost. Where did we finish on the ladder last year? 5th. And we won a final. Just chill everyone.

View attachment 1634507

Pessimistically, how could we dish up this garbage after all of the off season work? Are the youngsters getting ahead of themselves? Does our newly minted captain need to give them all a reality check? Where is our star recruit LJackson? What if we don't get better? What if this is the best we'll ever be? What if we can't get it up when the pressures on? Gosh, after reading the posts here, it is likely we're gonna win the wooden spoon and JL will be fired round 8....or....maybe 9.

For those of you who ready to throw in the towel, don't do it just yet. Just stick with the boys and let it play out. We lost a game we were supposed to win but we'll win some games we're supposed to lose. As you can see from above, we lost to the saints last year and had a fairly successful season by all accounts. Don't give up just yet. :) The season is a long and winding road.

This is an excellent post and you've really highlighted several stark issues.

No movement by the forwards and setting up just for the long bomb is a continuation of what hasn't worked since 2015.

They killed us on overlap run, but then when we would do it I didn't see a single shepherd!

The TOG for Brodie and JOM is very concerning. We can't have another player who can't play a second position and isn't fit enough to play >70% of a game as a mid. I suspect we will see a lot of 'JOM out' this year.

I'd love to see some down the ground vision...
I want to see what options were there as we moved forward.

Because it seems to me we crabbed sideways when we should be moving the ball positively and quickly

Yeah if it's anything like the forward line you know they're not moving to give an option.

No CHF leading at the ball carrier half the time.

And on the switch: teams expect that from us now. Most of the time it didn't manufacture a free player like it should if used properly, because the opposition is expecting it and spread with us.

11 Marks between Tabs, Jackson, Fyfe and Tracey. Fyfe took 7 of them.

I cant blame those guys (with the exception of one howler dropped by Tracey), our slow ball setup by the backs (81 marks between the 7 regulers) means that the whole opposition gets back and fills the space and blocks leads. Then its massive packs where no one marks anything.

View attachment 1634452

View attachment 1634453

View attachment 1634456

View attachment 1634480

View attachment 1634460

View attachment 1634481

View attachment 1634482

View attachment 1634472

View attachment 1634483

View attachment 1634461

View attachment 1634487

View attachment 1634497

View attachment 1634501

View attachment 1634507

That’s damning. I can’t see any movement from our forwards at all in those stills

Poor result from mids\fwds and JLo. Take out Cox and theres plenty of poor games.

Another game like yesterday and we'll be favourites for the Harley Reid Cup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another game like yesterday and we'll be favourites for the Harley Reid Cup.

I think you will find Melbourne would be the favourites if that catastrophe were to occur.

It won't get that bad, but a drop down the ladder was possible and I was always against giving our future 1st for Jackson on top of the rest. We were in the position to treat Melbourne just like they treated us with Langdon, but we folded. There are still holes in our list and now we don't have any decent draft picks to fill them.

I think you will find Melbourne would be the favourites if that catastrophe were to occur.

It won't get that bad, but a drop down the ladder was possible and I was always against giving our future 1st for Jackson on top of the rest. We were in the position to treat Melbourne just like they treated us with Langdon, but we folded. There are still holes in our list and now we don't have any decent draft picks to fill them.

Ahh yes forgot about the future first. :'(

Little anecdote. I train at the gym owned by Zac Clarke and AP. Occasionally I see Moose there (haha I’ve trained with him a couple of times!) but I chat with Zac every day. Awesome guy, love him! Anyway so I walk in this morning and he asked how I’m doing, I tell him I’m pissed off. He asks why. So I say those friggen Dockers ruined my weekend. He says - I know, they were horrible. I knew in the first 5 minutes we were going to lose. I said to my mate - we’re going to lose this game.
Then the class started so I didn’t get a chance to ask him why he thought that but there you go. Maybe skills, maybe intensity, maybe the ‘vibe’ but he reckons he knew in the first 5 minutes.

View attachment 1634452

View attachment 1634453

View attachment 1634456

View attachment 1634480

View attachment 1634460

View attachment 1634481

View attachment 1634482

View attachment 1634472

View attachment 1634483

View attachment 1634461

View attachment 1634487

View attachment 1634497

View attachment 1634501

View attachment 1634507

Fantastic analysis here Daddo. That Shultz “handball” to Treacy almost caused me to put my foot through my tv. I honestly don’t think we could have played worse, that’s not to say we won’t play like that again, just no worse.🙏 The only way is up.

Little anecdote. I train at the gym owned by Zac Clarke and AP. Occasionally I see Moose there (haha I’ve trained with him a couple of times!) but I chat with Zac every day. Awesome guy, love him! Anyway so I walk in this morning and he asked how I’m doing, I tell him I’m pissed off. He asks why. So I say those friggen Dockers ruined my weekend. He says - I know, they were horrible. I knew in the first 5 minutes we were going to lose. I said to my mate - we’re going to lose this game.
Then the class started so I didn’t get a chance to ask him why he thought that but there you go. Maybe skills, maybe intensity, maybe the ‘vibe’ but he reckons he knew in the first 5 minutes.
Have to agree, sometimes you just know. It's messing up the simple things. I had the feeling when Serong turned his first three touches over which all should have been simple passes. The team just wasn't switched on, a frustrating pattern in our round one games the last few years.

Have to agree, sometimes you just know. It's messing up the simple things. I had the feeling when Serong turned his first three touches over which all should have been simple passes. The team just wasn't switched on, a frustrating pattern in our round one games the last few years.
Agree 100%. Often you just know. But I would have been interested to know specifically why a former player knew also. You’d think a player would back the guys to turn it around no matter how average the start was. I’ll ask him tomorrow if I get there early enough.

I’m no tactical expert but taking time in our back half to chip around just allows the whole field to then compress in our forward half.
The net result - no space for a forward to lead into and no runners able to come from behind the ball kicker to make a surprise dash through the middle.

It just seems counterintuitive to hold the ball up in the back half these days - yet that’s our plan (it seems)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back