Oppo Camp Round 1: Non Collingwood Matches

Remove this Banner Ad

Ninthmond, or Twelthton?
So hard to pick.
And how the help has this become the "traditional" season opener?
What, for the last three, four years?
Awarded to them by the AFL on compassionate grounds. This after a desperate plea from both clubs to line them up with a rubbish opponent so they can start the season with a win to calm their supportersbase. Although rumors has it that Richmond made the initial request.

Awarded to them by the AFL on compassionate grounds. This after a desperate plea from both clubs to line them up with a rubbish opponent so they can start the season with a win to calm their supportersbase. Although rumors has it that Richmond made the initial request.

I can remember a few years back the calls to take Richmond out of this game as it was detrimental to their season. They'd build it up, get flogged, the wheels would fall off, membership microwaved and so on. 'Media experts' suggested they get Gold Coast or a lesser team at the MCG Round 1, you know a nice slow underarm ball they could try and whack for six.

Ninthmond, or Twelthton?
So hard to pick.
And how the help has this become the "traditional" season opener?
What, for the last three, four years?

Including this Thursday, it will be eight of the ten season openers since the "tradition" was struck in 2008. The only times it hasn't been the season opener in that period were in 2012 (stand-alone Sydney derby) and 2014 (split Round 1 with Pies vs Freo opener at Docklands). And in both of those off-years, it was still the first game back at the MCG.

It's just the AFL's way of ensuring that everybody gets a big game to market around, akin to ANZAC Day, Easter Monday, Queen's Birthday etc.

But yes, two bottom 6 teams to open the season every year is rather turgid...

Including this Thursday, it will be eight of the ten season openers since the "tradition" was struck in 2008. The only times it hasn't been the season opener in that period were in 2012 (stand-alone Sydney derby) and 2014 (split Round 1 with Pies vs Freo opener at Docklands). And in both of those off-years, it was still the first game back at the MCG.

It's just the AFL's way of ensuring that everybody gets a big game to market around, akin to ANZAC Day, Easter Monday, Queen's Birthday etc.

They should always open the season on a Friday night with the grand final replay. AFL have got no idea.

2013 also, opened with Adelaide v Essendon, but yeah you're right. It's their 'blockbuster' game.

I'm just glad footy's back. My missus barracks for the Tiges so a win on Thurs night will be good on that front but... nothing like false hope so I don't mind the thought of the Blues winning. They look to be very average across the board so one win won't change much.

Bombers/Hawks game just has me cringing. If Hawks win.... well I just hate the Hawks... wish they'd bugger off for the next decade. If Bombers win.... watch the media go into a "fairytale" spin.

Cannot wait to see my Pies Friday night... even though I might have to wait until Saturday to watch the game!
Go Pies

Yes DTM I hope they both loose!! :D
Would it be poor form to say I hope they kill each other and there's Carlton and Richmond players blood and body parts left all over the MCG?
ok I won't say that then.. it's going too far isn't it!

As much as id like richmond to loose i will enjoy seeing carlton lose more their coach reminds me of a smiling boy scout annoys me not sure why but it just does

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I'm hanging to watch tonight's game, being the start of a new season, I am torn, as any result is a net loss contract in my eyes.
The only result which I can imagine I which could possibly see me walk away content, involves a nuclear reactor.

Go the "Football Gods"!

Eveytime Collingwood isn't playing i look at the game and think "Whats the best result for Collingwood?".

The answer tonight is a Carlton win.

While I dont believe Richmond will play finals they are in the group that I have ranked 4th-16th and we are in that group too.

Carlton arent, they will finish 17th or 18th so every time they can steal a game off one of our competitors it is better for us if they win.

I still wont be cheering for them though.

Eveytime Collingwood isn't playing i look at the game and think "Whats the best result for Collingwood?".

The answer tonight is a Carlton win.

While I dont believe Richmond will play finals they are in the group that I have ranked 4th-16th and we are in that group too.

Carlton arent, they will finish 17th or 18th so every time they can steal a game off one of our competitors it is better for us if they win.

I still wont be cheering for them though.

Really mattys123 Richmond a possibility of 4th???

No way in hell that team gets anywhere near 4th.

Loose Riewoldting and they will be battling for the wooden spoon IMO.

The Bigger loss be Rance

Nah, no chance of them finishing 4th, jsut have them in what I call the "scramble" which is everyone other then GWS, Sydney, West Coast (all guaranteed top 4), Carlton and Brisbane (bottom 2).

Richmond could play finals, yes its a long shot but if they beat Carlton then us next week (both very possible) they start 2-0 and anything is possible. Guess that's what I was getting at, that if Carlton win tonight Richmond's slight finals hopes dies in round one, which apart from being absolutely hilarious also helps us as one competitor for a spot in the final 8 is gone already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back