Round 1 Positives

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Dons fans seem to be copping a LOT of flak for any comments about other teams that arent positive.

So, i thought id start a positives thread.

Watched all games except lions v dockers.

Tigers - great 3rd quarter. This game is traditionally a walkover for the blues. Conca and Batchelor showed great poise for first gamers. Jack has to be the most exciting forward in years. Morton and Graham were very solid. Tigers midfield is chugging along nicely too. Not sure Deledio is a backman though. Let the blues get some easy goals.

Blues - Not a bad effort. Was most impressed with their 4th quarter response. In years past, you could see them going to water when challenged like that. Judd and co in the midfield stepped up but also got some great service from the midtierers and below in Walker, Garlett, Armfield, Lucas and Robinson. Great game from Warnock too.

Port - great effort against a team vastly superior. Will rattle a number of cages this year. Great finds in Irons, Pittard and O'Shea. Salopek, Boak, Hitchcock and Cassisi were outstanding.
Backline just got monstered by pressure and the looming Dawes who will haunt a number of defences this year.

Pies - what can one say. When your midfield is so good that teams dont worry about tagging Swan and Pendles, Thomas, Ball and Johnson can still dominate, there is little to worry about. Wait til Maxwell gets back, Davis starts running off halfback (though i think Buckley could be a better bet for the longrun) and Didak gets some more time this year.

Hawks - Tough assignment and ran out of steam. Straight kicking Buddy, fit Lewis, Hodge in the team and the hawkers wont struggle against many. Backline looked a lot better with Bruce down back and Gibson played a great game. Ruck is still an issue though. They need a decent duo from Renouf, Hale, Johnson and Bailey.

Crows - Not going to repeat 2010. The retiring experience was hardly missed. Tambling yet another ex-tiger to burn the club (wallace effect?) looks like he will slot into McLeods position. Davis was super impressive on Buddy. Sloane is a tough kid and exciting to watch. Porps was a shame, but then a Walker/Tippett setup should still work for adelaide. Only problem is whether its worth putting the time into Walker if he goes to GWS (might help with a better pick i suppose).
Solid backline. a lot of hard running players through the middle and the forward line is creative.

Roos. 8/22 down and took it to a decent eagles outfit. Poor game from Harvey too, so make that 9. The big man issue puts a lot of pressure on Goldstein and Petrie. And they could easily have a top 4 midfield if they could keep em on the park.

Eagles. Not sure they are the spooners this year. Le Cras hurts, but i think it opens the door for Worsfold to work on some kids and they have some quality. Hams, Darling, Gaff, Ebert, etc etc. I dont think the rebuild will take too long if they have faith in Worsfold.

Doggies. Hard to take much away from a disappointing start, but they had a number of positives. Liber looked like a 3rd year player. Stack and Hill nice and fit. Jones looked decent as a forward, just needs to be a little harder at it. Hall looks fitter and more focused than ever. Could have gone off after a bad call but didnt.
Biggest shame was the loss of Wood. Looked dangerous early.

Dons (dont flame me). Fitness is there. Hunger and commitment is there. Playing well above the list at the moment. Backline wasnt tested and until we get Pears back and fit, there will be a question mark if they are challenged (hawks and pies will be the main tests). Still yet to travel, but the improvement in the middle has been exponential. Remind me a lot of collingwood 08/09. Great team spirit and work well for each other, but they havent unearthed a game breaker. Pies didnt really emerge as a premiership threat until Swan and Dawes really came on and started breaking games open.

Saints/Cats. Both have obvious concerns that i think they put to bed. Cats minus Bomber/Ablett stood tall with a number of injuries (Selwood, Chapman and Ling are big losses to cover on top of Ablett). Still yet to get the most out of Hawkins, but the youngens like Menzel, Guthrie and Duncan looked great. Varcoe's speed and confidence was great to watch as well. Changed the mentality of that midfield.
Saints are sorely missing Gardiner and Kosi. The talls up forward are needed. But they covered well. Unfortunately they are yet to answer the Riewoldt conundrum (which affects the tigers as well) - who is there to play second fiddle effectively to Riewoldt? i.e who is their Roughead?

Everyone keeps raving on about Collingwood being our true test.

I think it will come sooner than that. Carlton and Sydney shapes up as very big games for us. And the real tests if you ask me.

Apart from the Collingwood win, the highlights of this round for me were:

• A competitive Richmond.
  • Jack Reiwoldt.
  • The efforts Judd & Murphy in the fourth quarter.
  • The possible emergence of a young new contender in Essendon.

Everyone keeps raving on about Collingwood being our true test.

I think it will come sooner than that. Carlton and Sydney shapes up as very big games for us. And the real tests if you ask me.

Yep.

Every week is a true test for us as consistency has been our issue for years.

We would beat a top team, then lose to a poor one. Until we show that we can be consistent, we are merely another hopeful in a very long line.

Port - great effort against a team vastly superior. Will rattle a number of cages this year. Great finds in Irons, Pittard and O'Shea. Salopek, Boak, Hitchcock and Cassisi were outstanding.
Backline just got monstered by pressure and the looming Dawes who will haunt a number of defences this year.

/quote]

You have mentioned him in 2 threads now and I am convinced you have the wrong guy. Hitchcock came on as the substititute after Schultz went down and was terrible. He was the guy that got run down twice in 2 minutes from behind stuffing up 2 golden scoring opportunities. Was well off the pace and if you check the Port board everyone is calling for him to be dropped next week. You sure this is the bloke you are talking about?

You could almost argue that the positive to come out of Round 1 was Collingwood winning the flag last year.

Hear me out:

If St.Kilda had won, you could argue we would have seen 8 games like the Geelong vs St.Kilda one. Think about that for a second.

Instead we got mostly attacking, quick hard football, with a lot more long kicking, and lots of tackling pressure. Much more enjoyable to watch on the whole compared to St.Kilda and Geelong both trying to play like St.Kilda.

Essendon impressed me. Of all the teams attempting the forward press this year they seem to have the best grasp of it. The effort was top notch too, Hird has them playing wonderfully. Their real test will be how long they can keep it up, that game style requires the players to be incredibly fit, how long can they keep it up before they blow up like young sides do?

/quote]

You have mentioned him in 2 threads now and I am convinced you have the wrong guy. Hitchcock came on as the substititute after Schultz went down and was terrible. He was the guy that got run down twice in 2 minutes from behind stuffing up 2 golden scoring opportunities. Was well off the pace and if you check the Port board everyone is calling for him to be dropped next week. You sure this is the bloke you are talking about?

def hitchcock. I liked the way he took it on. Wasnt afraid to attack when he got the ball.
Dont know a lot about him, but if he's young, id be persisting with him cos he could really be a spark.

positives were few and far between for us

played terrible football, the result is irrelevant imo

positives were few and far between for us

played terrible football, the result is irrelevant imo

Thats a very pessimistic outlook, you would have been rapt with Bartel relishing responsibility to step up when needed and most of your youngsters not looking out of place.

There were positives for the beaten brigade too- The progress of D. Martin for Tiges, the solid debut of Pederson and Richardson for North and the heart that Port showed in the third quarter.

You could almost argue that the positive to come out of Round 1 was Collingwood winning the flag last year.

Hear me out:

If St.Kilda had won, you could argue we would have seen 8 games like the Geelong vs St.Kilda one. Think about that for a second.

Instead we got mostly attacking, quick hard football, with a lot more long kicking, and lots of tackling pressure. Much more enjoyable to watch on the whole compared to St.Kilda and Geelong both trying to play like St.Kilda.

No wonder you're happy.

A team like say the Hawks, played a lovely brand a football on the weekend, fast attacking end to end kind of stuff.

I just can't see how that is the answer to beating Collingwood, or is that just me?

Can somone tell me how the Hawks new style will be more effective than what Geelong tried against them in the finals last year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All well and good, but what happened on Saturday has been par for the course since entering the competition.

Look a million bucks and a real contender for long periods, look like a shitpoor wooden spooner for long periods. From quarter to quarter, from week to week, from month to month.

The task for Primus will be to extract the talent and effort for 100-120 minutes rather than the usual 50-70 - just as it was for Cahill and Williams before him.

Think we saw a few positives.

The changing of the guard in terms of the new wave of stars..

- Phil Davis' job on Lance Franklin
- The Adelaide midfield
- Taylor Walker
- St.Kilda losing, hopefully they (Ross Lyon in particular) get the point that they need some fresh talent in there.
- Geelong's ability to win without their two best players (Selwood & Ablett)
- Essendon's win :D
- Andrew Krakouer

Could go on but we are in for one hell of a season.. Can't wait

** EXCEPT FOR THE BLOODY BYES**

Remove this Banner Ad

Back