Preview Round 1 Preview : Hawthorn v Essendon, 7.40pm Sat 20th March, Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Breust played his first 15 games as sub. Get over it.

He was part of the named 22 and was guaranteed game time.

Do you not see the issue at play here?

Downie doesn't even get on the ground but it counts as his 'debut'.

We get a legitimate injury which we don't want, but then Downie gets a run.

We say a player is more injured than they are to strategically use our medical sub, completely making a mockery of why it was introduced and totally bending the rules.

Those are the three options. All of them suck. I'm sure many of us would prefer Downie isn't named at all than debut under these circumstances.

We'll all just have to accept it, but please don't compare it to the previous sub rule. At least that one wasn't added a day before the first game of the season with zero proper thought put into it.

You can have a heavy knock ie cork and get subbed and play the following week. Assuming thats what will happen with Vlaustin
But if that's the case, why would it not just be ruled as an injury sub without the 12 day decision?
Any player could just be told to say they have copped a corkie and be subbed off.

Plus again, we have had a player tell their mum they are debuting this week. Do you not think that is strange?

Not sure about telling Downie he is playing, advertising it complete without video of him calling his mum, then naming him as an emergency. Perhaps there is a known late change.

Edit: - never mind, I see he will be the named medical emergency.

Also tough on Greaves missing out. No Scrimshaw?

It's still ridiculous

Hoped Greaves would be in, hard at it. Hanrahan and Moore would want to perform tomorrow night have shown a lot of almost almost so far. Good luck go get it boys make the spot yours.

The Downie thing is definitely a noodle scratcher. Bit odd to talk up his debut and then name him as the 23rd player.
I guess the alternative don’t talk it up and name him as the sub and he gets credited with a game. It is a lose lose I think because if you don’t mention it and he doesn’t get on you are basically saying it isn’t a real game you were credited with. They probably should have stated he was going to be the sub.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess the alternative don’t talk it up and name him as the sub and he gets credited with a game. It is a lose lose I think because if you don’t mention it and he doesn’t get on you are basically saying it isn’t a real game you were credited with. They probably should have stated he was going to be the sub.
Or just wait until they actually debut him from the first bounce and make someone like Greaves the sub

We say a player is more injured than they are to strategically use our medical sub, completely making a mockery of why it was introduced and totally bending the rules.

Those are the three options. All of them suck. I'm sure many of us would prefer Downie isn't named at all than debut under these circumstances.

We'll all just have to accept it, but please don't compare it to the previous sub rule. At least that one wasn't added a day before the first game of the season with zero proper thought put into it.
I think you’re being pretty dramatic. You seem more caught up with the rule and it being a mockery. That’s a separate issue.

For all we know, Downie was told as soon as the rule was introduced and he is absolutely rapped to be given a spot. Make no mistake, he will play.

The club has a responsibility to do what is best for the footy club and our chances to win on the day. If that means Downie is the sub, then I’ll take that every day of the week over whatever sentimental story that you feel we are missing out on.

Without Howe we would look very lightweight in the midfield rotation. Takes a lot of hits and dishes them out. Young fellas will get their chance in the coming weeks. Good to know that we have a lot banging the door down at the moment.

First world problens

If cousins is fit and Howe has been selected over him jeez. You’re not gonna reward cousins for last year averaging 20 touches 5 score involvements at 82%. Also scrimshaw has been left out of the team to start off the season for the 2nd year in a row. Hope it’s because both need match conditioning.

On a positive note, looking forward to the debuts of Kosi and Brocky, if not Downie (but fingers crossed).

What if... just what if the team plays well enough to make it all too hard to fit the likes of a Scrimshaw, Gunners or Wingers coming back in. Now those are selection problems I'd like to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back