Remove this Banner Ad

BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Dragons, Blues, Tassie Tigers
QLD Squad: Xavier Bartlett, James Bazley, Joe Burns, Max Bryant, Blake Edwards, Sam Heazlett, Usman Khawaja, Matthew Kuhnemann, Marnus Labuschagne (CA contracted), Michael Neser, Lachlan Pfeffer, Jimmy Peirson, Matt Renshaw, Billy Stanlake, Mark Steketee, Bryce Street, Mitch Swepson, Jack Wildermuth, Jack Wood.

TAS Squad: Tom Andrews, Gabe Bell, Jackson Bird, Iain Carlisle, Jake Doran, Nathan Ellis, Caleb Jewell, Ben McDermott, Riley Meredith, Lawrence Neil-Smith, Tim Paine*, Sam Rainbird, Peter Siddle, Jordan Silk, Mac Wright, Matthew Wade, Charlie Wakim, Tim Ward, Beau Webster.

The actual Queensland traveling squad: Bazley, Burns, Edwards, Heazlett, Khawaja (c), Kuhnemann, Labuschagne, Neser, Peirson (+), Pfeffer (+), Renshaw, Sandhu, Steketee, Street, Sully, Wildermuth

Tasmania haven't released theirs. I'd be expecting Bazley, Heazlett, Pfeffer and two of Sandhu, Sully and Edwards to miss. Edwards probably the one that plays IMO

The actual Queensland traveling squad: Bazley, Burns, Edwards, Heazlett, Khawaja (c), Kuhnemann, Labuschagne, Neser, Peirson (+), Pfeffer (+), Renshaw, Sandhu, Steketee, Street, Sully, Wildermuth

Tasmania haven't released theirs. I'd be expecting Bazley, Heazlett, Pfeffer and two of Sandhu, Sully and Edwards to miss. Edwards probably the one that plays IMO

Wont be surprised if any of Edwards, Bazley or Sully play, I'd like to hope it's one of Edwards or Sully over using Baz as a front-line bowler. Apparently there are people at Qld champing at the bit to get Connor Sully in asap, but I suspect they will probably ease him in through the One Day Cup first like they did with Bartlett a few seasons back. Pretty excited to see him get a chance, has bowled some fiery looking spells in Premier Cricket the last month or so.

Last edited:

Khawaja (c)
Was kinda hoping that Ussie would relinguish the captaincy to Marnus. Give him a crack at holding the reins of the premiers.. There are some out there, me included, that think he'd make a good Test skipper. But he has little chance unless he is learning the ropes at state level.

Reckon the Bulls have the best crop of young quicks in the country. Bartlett, Edwards, Sully, Prestwidge and the towering lefty Willans.

Tim Paine*, Sam Rainbird, Peter Siddle, Jordan Silk, Caleb Jewel, Matthew Wade, Charlie Wakim, Tim Ward, Beau Webster, Tom Andrews, Gabe Bell, Ben Mc Dermott. (one to be omitted). This is the likely side the Tigers will go with.
Paine is injured. Wade and Andrews aren't in the squad. Beau Webster will captain the side for the first time. Their squad is:

Gabe Bell
Jarrod Freeman
Brad Hope
Caleb Jewell
Ben McDermott
Lawrence Neil-Smith
Sam Rainbird
Peter Siddle
Jordan Silk
Charlie Wakim
Tim Ward
Beau Webster (c)
Macalister Wright

Paine is injured. Wade and Andrews aren't in the squad. Beau Webster will captain the side for the first time. Their squad is:

Gabe Bell
Jarrod Freeman
Brad Hope
Caleb Jewell
Ben McDermott
Lawrence Neil-Smith
Sam Rainbird
Peter Siddle
Jordan Silk
Charlie Wakim
Tim Ward
Beau Webster (c)
Macalister Wright

Who is your X1. Mine is:
Silk
Ward
Jewell
Wakim
Wright
McDermott (w/k)
Webster (c)
Freeman
Siddle
Rainbird
Neil-Smith/Bell

Jewell may also take the gloves.

Gabe Bell
Jarrod Freeman
Brad Hope
Caleb Jewell
Ben McDermott
Lawrence Neil-Smith
Sam Rainbird
Peter Siddle
Jordan Silk
Charlie Wakim
Tim Ward
Beau Webster (c)
Macalister Wright

Lack of Doran surprises me, unless he's injured. Their leading run scorer last year. I suspect we'll see Jewell take the gloves.

Doran is injured.
Fair enough. The two questions will be over Freeman vs LNS and Wakim vs Hope. I'd be playing Freeman and Hope, don't think Wakim is that good honestly and it's always good to have a spinner in Adelaide.

Bell and Hope miss out for Tassie
Heazlett, Bazley, Pfeffer, Sandhu and Sully for Queensland

Tassie won the toss and are batting. Wakim is a cat.

Short of trawling thru his stats I'd say that was Doran's most productive year in his seven FC seasons.

I have Freeman too. Surprised he was not given a full contract this year. He is a superior tweaker to Andrews imho. More attacking. Both handy all rounders too.

Tassie win toss and batting. LNS gets nod over Bell. Hope omitted. Looks as tho Tigers coach Alistair De Winter wants Jewell and Ward to open with Silk to move down the order. Hoping for some good grass on the deck this time.
Doesn't look like there's much grass at all unfortunately

Jewell just played 2 of the most glourious drives you'll see off Wildermuth. One cover drive, one square drive.

Jewell just played 2 of the most glourious drives you'll see off Wildermuth. One cover drive, one square drive.
He's an attractive batsman when he's playing well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wont be surprised if any of Edwards, Bazley or Sully play, I'd like to hope it's one of Edwards or Sully over using Baz as a front-line bowler. Apparently there are people at Qld champing at the bit to get Connor Sully in asap, but I suspect they will probably ease him in through the One Day Cup first like they did with Bartlett a few seasons back. Pretty excited to see him get a chance, has bowled some fiery looking spells in Premier Cricket the last month or so.
I hope Sully gets a crack at some stage. I remember him in the U/19 World Cup at the start of last year and was very impressive. There's a few lads from that team who have been able to get an opportunity at 1st Class/List A level (Davies, Sangha, Kelly, Harvey, Fraser-McGurk, Scott) so I hope he can join that list as well.

I believe the curator may be the son-in-law of Les Burdett?

Well he isn't the only one but any chance of a contest between bat and ball? My nana could score runs on these pitches!

Not sure how Charlie Wakim with a @28 FC average continues to be picked at state level.
In fairness, they're missing Wade, Doran and Paine from their top 7. I wouldn't have played him but when we get down to it, the cupboard is bare.

In fairness, they're missing Wade, Doran and Paine from their top 7. I wouldn't have played him but when we get down to it, the cupboard is bare.
Wakim played 7 matches last season at a piddling @23 with most of those blokes available.. plus the now retired Alex Doolan. Seems like the Blues selectors, the TCA are more lenient on under performing batsman. Take Doran for example, chose him even when he was not keeping.

It is, recovering from a stress fracture. Has a history of them unfortunately.
So many young pacemen do. Has curtailed many a career.
Made a boo boo in earlier post. Edwards has debuted.. back in 19/20. He looks impressive so his development has worked.

Tigers in pretty good shape at lemons. 1-81.

Last edited:
Another runfest on a flat deck. And people wonder why the Sheffield Shield attracts fewer and fewer followers each year.

Surely at least one of Adelaide Oval, the WACA or Optus were available? You could even play at Bellerive.

Easy batting conditions.. yes. But Tim Ward showed good temperament to bat for five hours, 225 balls for his maiden shield century.

You could even play at Bellerive.
Be a better deck than this for a fair contest.

Only hope for the bowlers is if this track proves abrasive in order to make the cherry reverse.

Last edited:
My issue with Karen Rolton, and suburban pitches in general, is that they don't come onto the bat or produce a lot of movement. It doesn't really give you anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Back