Shield Round 1: Queensland vs Tasmania, Karen Rolton Oval, Oct.7-10. 11 am AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Early days but Australian cricket may have unearthed a future Test opener. He cracked 180 for Uni of Tasmania in last season Premier grand final too.

Yep and CA in their wisdom removed the Dukes from state cricket. Seems whatever our cricket bosses do is to the detriment of Shield cricket.

I still think Bryce Street is the next opener for Australia,lets see how he goes on this track but good to see young Tim get that score.

It's clear as day you have no idea what you're talking about so do everyone in this thread a favour and be quiet.
Dont think any reason to bag a bloke for offering an opinion. Beside, even pitch clueless me, knows that green grass aids seam.
I still think Bryce Street is the next opener for Australia
So do I. He and Ward both have an opener's greatest asset.. the ability to put a very steep price on their wicket..

Last edited:
Dont think any reason to bag a bloke for offering an opinion. Besides we all know, even pitch clueless me, that green grass aids seam and swing.
He's got no idea what he's talking about. I'll dismiss his opinion on the matter because he is the chief whinger on pitches on this forum and his solution is to "just make it green". If it were an informed opinion then I'd give it consideration, but it isn't, so I will criticise.

Green grass in combination with a hard deck aids seam. As I explained earlier, leaving it green at this time of year often makes it slower and doesn't actually aid the seamers as much.

It may surprise you to know that swing has absolutely nothing to do with how the pitch is prepared, unless the surface is abrasive enough to help with reverse swing. Swing is almost entirely about bowler technique and weather conditions rather than the way the pitch is prepared

He's got no idea what he's talking about. I'll dismiss his opinion on the matter because he is the chief whinger on pitches on this forum and his solution is to "just make it green". If it were an informed opinion then I'd give it consideration, but it isn't, so I will criticise.

Green grass in combination with a hard deck aids seam. As I explained earlier, leaving it green at this time of year often makes it slower and doesn't actually aid the seamers as much.

It may surprise you to know that swing has absolutely nothing to do with how the pitch is prepared, unless the surface is abrasive enough to help with reverse swing. Swing is almost entirely about bowler technique and weather conditions rather than the way the pitch is prepared

No offense btw. Yeh I realised about the swing after I typed it then removed it but you were quick off the mark
And that was in Adelaide.
You are correct. Glenelg? The pair also plundered runs at Junction Oval from memory.

Must admit I wasn't convinced by Neil-Smith heading in but he's been as good as Siddle and better than Rainbird so far. I'd have him in their first XI now.

I have seen a lot of Tassie cricket in which Neil-Smith is involved. He has a laconic demeanor but after he hits that crease he comes alive.

National Pathway offie Freeman looks everything but a cricketer. Perhaps that is why batsmen under estimate his bowling. He has spent too long in the rookie ranks.. time to upgrade him.

Last edited:
That was some catch from McDermott to get rid of Khawaja.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Webster wasting deliveries bowling himself. Get the wicket taker Freeman back on man.

Hard to get enthused over this kinda cricket. Far too much in favor of the batsman. The quicks are now the passengers. Webster overbowling himself. Freeman takes wickets Beau you dont... and Mac Wright's leggies aren't all that shabby.. give him a trundle.

Reckon the Bulls have declared behind to hopefully breath some life into this game.

Last edited:
This last hour has been the most exciting of the match. From a distance Neil-Smith looks like Cam Green. Very accomplished with the willow.

Don’t understand the logic of using a nightwatchman in this scenario, unless you have no interest in a result. The run rate was at around 5, but has since plummeted to 3.
I too found that a touch odd. I see Tassie firing up in the first hour. They have some decent hitters in McDermott, Wright and Silk with plenty of BBL cred behind them. Then declare giving the Bulls say 300 to chase.

Don’t understand the logic of using a nightwatchman in this scenario
Neil-Smith played his part well in first innings but this morning with 1 run from 50 balls all he is doing is inhibiting the Tassie scoring. Odd tactics by Tassie.

Last edited:
I too found that a touch odd. I see Tassie firing up in the first hour. They have some decent hitters in McDermott, Wright and Silk with plenty of BBL cred behind them. Then declare giving the Bulls say 300 to chase.
Tassie's bowling is pretty poor though (for that matter so ios the the batting, poor and/or unproven anyway).
On this deck, and with no front line spinner to take advantage of the turn. 300 in two sessions barely losing a wicket is almost to be expected if a team decides to take it on. Even SA could get 300 on that pitch against that attack, unless Siddle or Rainbird has a monster spell (or did it start doing something late on day three I didn't see).
As much as I would like to be proven wrong, IMO Tas can only lose or draw from here.

As much as I would like to be proven wrong, IMO Tas can only lose or draw from here.
You under estimate this Tassie attack...specially their spinner Freeman. Having said that I dont think either side can win but at least have a crack.. Tassie batsmen seems to be under orders to dead bat everything. They have added two runs since drinks.

Need to stop giving fixtures to places that can’t * produce interesting games.

* naturally
This was re-fixtured to a ground mostly preparing for limited overs games. So, in a sense a flat track is understandable. Although, its not an uncommon occurrence in Adelaide (regardless of venue) without that additional factor.
The odd flat track is fine, but I do think we get too many. The bowlers need testing in unfavourable conditions as much as batsmen do.

This was re-fixtured to a ground mostly preparing for limited overs games.
What kinda track would we have had staying in Brisbane. Another flat suburban one dont mind betting. Footy season over so why are we not playing at major cricket venues.

Tassie's only true chance of a win was when they had Bulls 4/190 but one of Australia's next openers Bryce Street put paid to that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back