AFLW Round 1: Richmond vs Brisbane, Swinburne Centre, 2:10pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Shithouse decision , completed in the air , no block . In any case lions were comprehensive in the end after we were competitive for 3/4. Thought the defence made some really good plays yet the forward line was useless
Sabrina again failed to impact, and is on the way to being delisted
Bernadi off off the level another <5p game
KB competed quite well but is a woeful kick for goal for someone that has a good kicking technique
Stahl not up to it either is Jacques
The good news ,,,Ellie McK showed lots of promise , seymour and cordner both played well
I will probably cut Brennan some slack because apart from goal kicking she was solid. It’s the best game I have seen from her all round as a captain

Agree with the rest. Bernardi and Stahl especially needs to do much more than this if they are going to be selected every week. Jacques has always did some nice things followed by not so nice things and it continued today unfortunately. It’s frustrating at times.
I agree that we need more from Frederick, but she did take a step up from last year at least.

Positives were McKenzie, Seymour, Cordner and Miller for me

MMMmm, I think it's not the losing, but rather the manner. We are playing gaze and blaze footy, and letting it come back fast. The back half held up well for a long time, but too many don't run back and help out - noticeably Brisbane does. Watch a Brisbane disposal and how they run on - AND if it turns over they get back, and square up a contest.

Unless Fredrick plays in the goal square, we need pace instead. Wakefield was best at CHF last season and one on one, hard to beat. Not really sure what we do with Brennan - she's a very good athletic player but just does not impact enough for how well she moves and can mark. There are five I would not play next week if we have runners waiting in the wings.

Forward line would work as a triangle with those three

Brennan Wakefield

Frederick

have sab full forward as the bail out with the other two higher up the ground

I will probably cut Brennan some slack because apart from goal kicking she was solid. It’s the best game I have seen from her all round as a captain

Agree with the rest. Bernardi and Stahl especially needs to do much more than this if they are going to be selected every week. Jacques has always did some nice things followed by not so nice things and it continued today unfortunately. It’s frustrating at times.
I agree that we need more from Frederick, but she did take a step up from last year at least.

Positives were McKenzie, Seymour, Cordner and Miller for me
I did say kB competed well, I reckon the front half if way top heavy . Courtney I like , can take a grab and generally a goal , can’t play her Sabrina and kB unless they’re marking everything as they’re ordinary when it goes to ground . They’ll work it out , I think Sabs only hope is as a ruck , just a big lug in the forward line that would be a good female club XVIIi player but crap at this level

Work in progress.
Ellie is class.
Gabby has improved.
Mon and Katie tried but were beaten.
Otherwise it’s still VFL level girls playing AFLW

Shithouse decision , completed in the air , no block . In any case lions were comprehensive in the end after we were competitive for 3/4. Thought the defence made some really good plays yet the forward line was useless
Sabrina again failed to impact, and is on the way to being delisted
Bernadi off off the level another <5p game
KB competed quite well but is a woeful kick for goal for someone that has a good kicking technique
Stahl not up to it either is Jacques
The good news ,,,Ellie McK showed lots of promise , seymour and cordner both played well

Some fair calls I think. No way should Bernardi play next week off the back of that horrible effort - too many games like it last season too.
I like Sabrina in the goal square, but the pace profile change by dropping her and bringing some speed is pronounced - just has to happen.
Stahl has to train to stay on her feet - prove it before getting back.
Jacques can play but she simply doesn't appear to get back and help out enough. If someone else can - she's out until she shows she can.
Play Chout up the ground more - up and down the wings - give her license to run more - she will break the lines. What she lacks in polish she has in run.
We missed Grace Campbell's work around the stoppages - picked up Sarah Hosking so no real improvement perhaps - hope Elle McKenzie adds in there for us because Conti needs help.
Bring in McClelland and perhaps Brancatisano is Ok to go from a short term Knee or even Woodward if calf is OK to offer a harder body in there to help Conti without curtailing Hosking too much

Forward line would work as a triangle with those three

Brennan Wakefield

Frederick

have sab full forward as the bail out with the other two higher up the ground
Lol you’re kidding right , they seriously couldn’t run out of sight on a dark night . It’s why our forward line is completely dysfunctional. My thoughts are only one plays , being Wakefield and use kB in defence coz she’s a bugga of a kick for goal

Watched about half of the game and found it incredibly frustrating. I'd seen bits of the Geelong v North game and found the skill levels, pretty much exclusively Geelong, close to abysmal. However, I'd put it down to rusty habits at the front end of the season. The harsh reality for us though is that our skill sets, with few exceptions, were probably even more ordinary with ineffective kicks, handballs and an almost universal inability to hold a mark as characterising our game. It must have been very disappointing to the coaching group but let's see how this season pans out. I'm certainly not holding out any hope for a structure based game style until the most basic fundamentals can be mastered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fu** yeah, these are the Richmond game day threads I remember. Replace Webberly with Conti etc and we are there.
ah its so good being a frustrated supporter again
the bloody men have spoiled us rotten
time to ring 3aw again ,demand sackings in every department
ah that feeling of complete hopelessness

The issue is with more with our initial list outlook in my opinion. We should have gone the youth route like St Kilda and Gold Coast did because the younger girls like Prespakis from Carlton and others like her are probably better than a lot of the foundation players. We stocked up on getting in a lot of foundation players and it backfired.

Having said that, I think that the club has recognised their mistake and are trying to change it. It’s probably going to take a while to reverse our early list management mistakes unfortunately.

The issue is with more with our initial list outlook in my opinion. We should have gone the youth route like St Kilda and Gold Coast did because the younger girls like Prespakis from Carlton and others like her are probably better than a lot of the foundation players. We stocked up on getting in a lot of foundation players and it backfired.

Having said that, I think that the club has recognised their mistake and are trying to change it. It’s probably going to take a while to reverse our early list management mistakes unfortunately.
Well if a pattern sets in most of them could be gone post this year , Bernadi, Sabs , both on notice. I actually could see signs of improvement however we didn’t really threaten once the whips were a crackin, am so surprised we have zero dashers in the side I reckon that’s a factor in holding us back

The saints and NM did a remarkable job in compiling their lists relative to ours

Seems to be 2 things we need to do over the next few years
1) Draft virtually nothing but Midfielders/runners
2) Draft kids , no more trading for middle of the road players from other clubs. didnt work for the mens team and it wont work for the woman...

Having said that is anyone really surprised? Despite the success of the mens team is anyone shocked that the RFC could basically botch it?

Last edited:
You can’t play both Wakefield and Fredrick in the same team. They are the same type of player.

Couple of positives with Mckenzie and Hosking, thought Molan was around the play more than any game last year and seeing Chout and Symour getting some intercepts was good.
I like having the marking Fwds and I think its worth another go.
We were in it at halftime and could have been ahead at the main break.

Negatives
Not enough shots on goals and particularly from the centre bounce and turnovers, too much trying to score from the back half. (Maybe the wind)
To many slipped tackles and once again we came up short in the middle without Conti playing a great game.
Not enough speed fwd of the centre.

MMMmm, I think it's not the losing, but rather the manner. We are playing gaze and blaze footy, and letting it come back fast. The back half held up well for a long time, but too many don't run back and help out - noticeably Brisbane does. Watch a Brisbane disposal and how they run on - AND if it turns over they get back, and square up a contest.

Unless Fredrick plays in the goal square, we need pace instead. Wakefield was best at CHF last season and one on one, hard to beat. Not really sure what we do with Brennan - she's a very good athletic player but just does not impact enough for how well she moves and can mark. There are five I would not play next week if we have runners waiting in the wings.

yeah have to agree with all you wrote
there was no run and carry, no handball chains and RUNNING
just kick and mark junior footy, not up to this level
ATM Sabs is in limbo, can't jump, no pace and all the defenders she comes up against are as strong and fit, if not better than her
she's only 24, but it seems the game has passed her by as it did Mo Hope, don't really know how she fits into the team
Doesn't mark it often enough like she used to, got no pace what so ever, can't be effective up forward or ruck
saying that Jacques, Brancatisano, Burchell, Stahl, Bernardi, Makur-Chuot, Ross, Dempsey and Woodward are not up to AFLW level or will never be
it's a sad indictment on the above players that Gabby Seymour ,a volleyball convert in her 3rd year, played better than these players who have played a lot of footy from juniors to now
wow, Wakefield is our only effective forward and she's 34

Remove this Banner Ad

Back