Round 1 Rising Star Nomination

Remove this Banner Ad

way quicker than Ollie wines. Dangerman.

Yeah has such a good burst. Looked good mixing it with Sydney midfield getting contested possessions and clearance.

Dont want to get too excited, but looking forward to his development along with with the other mids taken in the draft, Atley and Drew.

If thats ollies ceiling that we saw against the swans im a happy happy man! best on ground easily

Lol, totally agree. Future captain also. I get why recruiters look at them and think they dominate games due to there size so it may not translate to AFL, but Ollie was good straight away and is still getting better. SPP is Ollie but more explosive. Loved that he kicked a few snags as well.

We were very lucky how he fell to us with GWS and Melbourne changing there decision last minute with Plowman and Toumpus.

Yeah agree here. Like an Ollie Wines, will play well from the get go but will have a lesser ceiling.

Happy we picked him up though, cant teach size, power and speed like he has.
Oh he's a gun I really like him so far. Has proved me wrong. I thought his field kicking was a bit suspect, but he's fine. I just think it's too early for some posters to be livid they didn't pick him. Venables for example will be a good player for West Coast.

I just think it's too early for some posters to be livid they didn't pick him.

WC fans have been livid the minute we picked him.

Seeing him against the Swans, it does boggle my mind even more on why he wasn't top 10 in the draft. I get people maybe saying his kicking wasn't all there but still, he has the potential to be Dusty 2.0 if he stays on the path he is now.

Seeing him against the Swans, it does boggle my mind even more on why he wasn't top 10 in the draft. I get people maybe saying his kicking wasn't all there but still, he has the potential to be Dusty 2.0 if he stays on the path he is now.
Seeing the top 10 from last year I know exactly why he wasn't taken in the top 10. Because the top 10 have more potential or had better seasons leading up. Apart from possibly Florent there's not a player in the top 10 that SPP could realistically be rated above on potential and last years performance.

Well you did pass up on him aswell with your first pick:p

I would of loved to get him but he was never going to be around for our second pick. I'm very happy with McGrath as our first pick though, huge crowd and given a big role and he slotted in nicely

Seeing the top 10 from last year I know exactly why he wasn't taken in the top 10. Because the top 10 have more potential or had better seasons leading up. Apart from possibly Florent there's not a player in the top 10 that SPP could realistically be rated above on potential and last years performance.
Scrimshaw?

Lol, totally agree. Future captain also. I get why recruiters look at them and think they dominate games due to there size so it may not translate to AFL, but Ollie was good straight away and is still getting better. SPP is Ollie but more explosive. Loved that he kicked a few snags as well.

We were very lucky how he fell to us with GWS and Melbourne changing there decision last minute with Plowman and Toumpus.

they got their revenge with toumpas eventually :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is a good article on Sam Powell-Pepper.

Glen Jakovich worked closely with Sam Powell-Pepper in his role as the Assistant Coach/Mentor with the NAB AFL Academy. After being awarded as the Round 1 NAB Rising Star, Jakovich shared his thoughts exclusively to Aflplayers.com.au.
Sam Powell-Pepper is one of my favourite players that I’ve been involved with in the academy program.
Sam was one of those kids that was very easy to coach and very easy to deal with. He was a sponge for information.
In the early years, he went through a few different homes and he was doing it pretty tough. People saw the good in him because he was a respectful kid, and then people started to support and help him.
More...
http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/jakovich-powell-pepper-is-a-kid-in-a-hurry/

Here is a good article on Sam Powell-Pepper.

Glen Jakovich worked closely with Sam Powell-Pepper in his role as the Assistant Coach/Mentor with the NAB AFL Academy. After being awarded as the Round 1 NAB Rising Star, Jakovich shared his thoughts exclusively to Aflplayers.com.au.
Sam Powell-Pepper is one of my favourite players that I’ve been involved with in the academy program.
Sam was one of those kids that was very easy to coach and very easy to deal with. He was a sponge for information.
In the early years, he went through a few different homes and he was doing it pretty tough. People saw the good in him because he was a respectful kid, and then people started to support and help him.
More...
http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/jakovich-powell-pepper-is-a-kid-in-a-hurry/

Fantastic from Jakovich. There is no doubt in my mind that Port have got an absolute steal here. From the sound of all that, he will be loyal to Port for life.

they got their revenge with toumpas eventually :(

That whole toump trade was a free hit pretty much.

Traded 29, 50 and 68 for Toump and pick 32 (ended up 37 with academy selections) ended up getting bonner.

risk was kind of worth it, pick 50 and 68 dont look anything of note, mabey mengola from geelong will turn out good.

i agree also, i just meant it, people were saying he has a low ceiling. if anyone saw him on the weekend he was a beast

Dont envy the list managers at all, such a hard job to scout and pick them at 16/17/18 yrs old. Happy how it all fell that draft for us to get ollie and the SPP pick is looking good as bar the top 10 of that draft he looks good and we got marshall with 2x 2nd rounders.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-27/powerful-port-mids-instant-impact-earns-rising-star-nod

giphy-2_zpsbhwh5j9t.gif

This blows me away. We all know how strong sburger is and the confidence that requires to take him on.

Nanverkis was named first ruck therefore you can conclude that the stats guy was a tigers supporter. He wasn't even the best ruck in that game let alone best of the round. He was well beaten in the ruck and around the ground.

Max Gawn likes this comment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back