Autopsy Round 1, Season 2020. Essendon vs Fremantle

Mags98

Team Captain
Mar 16, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
game clearly changes once lobb went into the ruck, if he doesn’t want to play ruck he shouldn’t be so damn good at it.

brayshaw, cerra and tucker all disappointing let their opppos walk past them way to easily too often and weren’t getting enough of it themselves.

logue disappointing, should be better off with hammer and pearce back however. ryan as well a very poor game, hughes was good though.

sturt of course very impressive debut, bewley showed he belongs and lobb is a beast.

last quarter shows we’ve got something to work with, let’s just hope we can show that a bit more

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

noise36

Club Legend
Jun 22, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Had no right given the first 3 quarters to even be in a position to win, but in the end it was ours for the taking and we threw it away.
  • Sturt was great on debut
    • Backing himself with a very difficult kick on goal
    • Ball under arm and going for a run up the sideline
    • Contested mark on Hurley
  • Lobb elite
  • Walters and Fyfe not their best work
  • Logue got toweled up
  • Darcy gives us very little, best thing he does is allow Lobb to be somewhere else more valuable
  • Brawshaw missing two easy goals under little pressure
  • Cerra I get the sense he will be back off to Victoria once his contract ends, no one will be that upset
  • Tabs is a potato but he did his job
  • Tackling and pressure on the ball carrier was pathetic, but might have been because bombers were cutting through our lines with ease and we couldn't get close enough to tackle. Some of that though is about everyone going for the guy with the ball and not being smart and shutting down options when someone else has the ball covered.
  • Midfield got smashed
  • Forward and back line disorganized
  • Turn overs by foot, we might have set a record?
  • Umpiring I thought might improve due to no crowd noise bias, seemed worse than ever before, mostly going bombers way

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FreoRicci

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
The synergy was off the first half. Players getting angry at each other, poor body language.
Fyfe got absolutely sucked in, hook like and sinker by Stringer.
Walters, albeit rightly so, going tantrum at Tabs was such a poor look. Tabs is the big forward just trying to mark the ball. But SonSon kept it going even when his opponent ran away with the ball. That happened all game. Lobb went for one, yet Sturt was about to mark on the chest. Lobb then burns him.

There’s players out there that are WAFL quality. Not AFL.
Bewley did at least step up, but don’t think we ll ever get more from Banfield, Schulz, Crowden. It is what it is. Jlo could implement skills for them, but that’s it really

Heart Of Purple

Team Captain
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Lobbs really suited to maybe a 60/40 split ruck and forward. Even 50/50. Struggles to get involved as a forward but can kick goals and is seriously dangerous deep. I'd say the presence of Tabs as that super tall forward that competes in the air means he's more valuable to us in the ruck as theres less cover, but he can certainly be dangerous forward. He'd really be the perfect foil for Nic-Nat atm as he returns, but unfortunately we don't have a no. 1 ruck suited to spending significant time forward to rotate with him.

MadEyeEmmy

Club Legend
Sep 13, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Positives

- Flirty Sturty! Kid is a gun
- Lobb is an absolute beast. Never drops anything and can even crumb a sick goal
- Bewley was surprisingly impressive on the wing. Didn’t expect much from him after his underwhelming Marsh series but he’s looking good.
- Managed to claw our way back to within a kick despite being waaaaay off our best and missing key personnel

Negatives

- Darcy. I’m sure he will come good but just don’t know what role he can play for us at the moment seeing as he’s not much chop in the ruck and terrible up forward
- Taberner is still a really dumb footballer
- Andy missing 2 easy shots on goal. It’s a real problem and prevents him from taking that next step towards elite level
- Backline worked their way into the game but we really missed Pearce, Hamling and Wilson. Will get absolutely carved up by a decent forward line
- Lack of midfield pressure and accountability for 3 quarters isn’t great especially in round 1
- Really hoping Cerra improves soon as taking him at pick 5 is not looking too good right now.

At least we weren’t embarrassed in our first game with JLo as coach

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gaskin

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2009
On board the Cam train
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
LFC, Glory, Wests, Seahawks
Skills and umpiring were a ******* disgrace in the first half. Everything bar the last quarter deserves forgetting.

Once the mids started inserting themselves into the game, we actually looked good and moved the ball well. The pressure lifted in the last and that set us up for the comeback. If it was a full length game we win that.

The low tackle count is pretty pathetic and contributed hugely to the performance. When you have nearly half of your tackle count in the last quarter, I think it is only fair to ask where the effort was in the first 3 quarters. Too many piss-weak attempted tackles just sliding off as usual. They really need to work on it.

Lobb easily BOG and Sturt was really good. Bewely was probably the surprise of the day. I thought the criticism of Crowden in the match thread was a bit OTT.

I like Darcy, but we really need a number 1 ruckman that can influence things around the ground like Lobb does. When not in the ruck, he is a liability.

Cam really needs to be playing off half-forward and not the wing. Too often we went forward and lacked an option other than Tabs who was pretty well contained by their defence.

I really can't wait to get Pearce and Wilson back into that backline. Logue, while he was killed by the umps, was pretty poor and Townsend gets killed by Alex Pearce if he were playing. Wilson's run and delivery off half-back was severely missed. The lack of polish and turnovers coming back into the middle of the ground would have given Essendon at least half of their score.

I see that game as a bit of an aberration because it is not going to be too often that the entire midfield do fu** all for 3 quarters.

FreoRicci

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Skills and umpiring were a ******* disgrace in the first half. Everything bar the last quarter deserves forgetting.

Once the mids started inserting themselves into the game, we actually looked good and moved the ball well. The pressure lifted in the last and that set us up for the comeback. If it was a full length game we win that.

The low tackle count is pretty pathetic and contributed hugely to the performance. When you have nearly half of your tackle count in the last quarter, I think it is only fair to ask where the effort was in the first 3 quarters. Too many piss-weak attempted tackles just sliding off as usual. They really need to work on it.

Lobb easily BOG and Sturt was really good. Bewely was probably the surprise of the day. I thought the criticism of Crowden in the match thread was a bit OTT.

I like Darcy, but we really need a number 1 ruckman that can influence things around the ground like Lobb does. When not in the ruck, he is a liability.

Cam really needs to be playing off half-forward and not the wing. Too often we went forward and lacked an option other than Tabs who was pretty well contained by their defence.

I really can't wait to get Pearce and Wilson back into that backline. Logue, while he was killed by the umps, was pretty poor and Townsend gets killed by Alex Pearce if he were playing. Wilson's run and delivery off half-back was severely missed. The lack of polish and turnovers coming back into the middle of the ground would have given Essendon at least half of their score.

I see that game as a bit of an aberration because it is not going to be too often that the entire midfield do fu** all for 3 quarters.
Move Cam into the forward line, Aish on the wing, middle. He has class and skill we need up the ground not in defence. Feel like he’s wasted there.
Tabs had no one else all day around him. McCarthy is better as a lead up forward.
I mean Sturt ended up with Hurley on him. Didn’t really get the forward line right unless the last quarter. Cam doesn’t know enough of the defensive running to be a threat on the wing.

Yeti

Club Legend
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Positives
- Lobb was immense, I thought he was a pea heart at GWS. Has been a Man of Steel at Fremantle. Excellent skills.
- Sturt, great debut. I was hoping he would be our Stephenson type player in the front 50 and he did not dissapoint.

Negatives
- Not going into those until the halfway mark of the season. There will be lots of teething issues from selection through to execution of the new game plan while everyone gets the hang of things, hopefully similar to 2012 where everything clicks after the bye.

Thistle

Premiership Player
May 12, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea, ICT, Glory
Would have been a robbery had we walked.away with any points.

Our skills and tackling were deplorable for 3 quarters.

A few underwhelming performances from players I was hoping would have taken a step up:

- Cerra being the most concerning. Very much doubting he'll ever live up to the potential of a top pick
- Tucker worked hard but did too many dumb things. Not bombing it in the 50 with 30 secs today was killer
- Crowden and Banfield are not going to take us to the next level
- Brayshaw not worried about. Our mids were badly exposed. Does need to kick more goals

A few good things to come out of the game but overall a disappointing performance

SPEEDWAGON

All Australian
Apr 12, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
steven hill and nat fyfe were substantially better players than brayshaw and cerra in their 3rd years

can we blame ross?

Serong and Henry will be the next big 2.

Walters looks fat?

Dockeroo

Debutant
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Taberner has looked very ordinary so far this season. If he’s not able to clunk marks then he’s not much use besides.. surely matera has more to offer than the likes of banfield or Schultz? I mean he did kick 30 goals last year. Where does acres slot back in? Colyer another passenger today

WilloTree

Premiership Player
Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Player Goals Points
Cerra 0 1
Brayshaw 0 2
Colyer 1 2