Autopsy Round 1, Season 2020. Essendon vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved Sturt’s debut. Loved Fyfe. Loved Lobb.

liked Bewley, can’t find the stats but I think he nailed every kick and put us further up the ground. Aish good, Conca good.

hated Walters spray on Tabs, seemed petulant by a leader. And turnovers, Gahhhhhh!
Sorry, took me a while but here it is:
Brett Bewley: 20 Possessions (16k, 4hb)
Disposal Efficiency 85%
Kicking Efficiency 81.3%
Meters Gained 498 (Rank 1 for Ess V Fre)

He's an important player now. With Langdon and Hill gone we need a genuine MG player.

Interestingly, we nearly made up the (disposals) loss of Hill and Langdon in the aggregate*, probably would have if they weren't shorter quarters.

2019 Ave
Hill 25.1
Langdon 25.0
TOTAL 50.1

Bewley 20
Aish 12
McCarthy 13
TOTAL 45

*Silver lining here is that Acres didn't play, and we kept the change (Serong and Henry).

Sitting down and rewatching the game with a bit more calm... Cerra was actually alright. Had some really clever little handballs and some good short kicks. Tick.
2nd half & particularly last 1/4. I thought he was unsighted in the 1st half.

Sitting down and rewatching the game with a bit more calm... Cerra was actually alright. Had some really clever little handballs and some good short kicks. Tick.
I like how he doesn't waste his possessions. Just wish he had more of them. Needs to work on getting to more contests, running to (and creating) space and pushing really hard on the turnover. He's such as clean player he could be a really valuable outside offensive mid. But, 15 possessions isn't really going to do it. not saying he won't start pushing 20+ in time, just that it should be his aim to ASAP.

I like how he doesn't waste his possessions. Just wish he had more of them. Needs to work on getting to more contests, running to (and creating) space and pushing really hard on the turnover. He's such as clean player he could be a really valuable outside offensive mid. But, 15 possessions isn't really going to do it. not saying he won't start pushing 20+ in time, just that it should be his aim to ASAP.
The coach is the one to make that happen I think, just need a bit of time to transition into the role.

It was a shortened game remember. Probably worth 18-21 full length. Not amazing but the ball will come. A lot of that is fitness I reckon.

After finally watching the replay I reckon anyone who thinks Tabs was in the right going for that mark has rocks on there head. However, Walters ‘leadership’ was just as bad as Tabs footy IQ, horrible look. I’ll give Walters a small out in that playing with Tabs must be incredibly frustrating - still hope Fyfe or JL told Walters he should know better than that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the replay

Sturt had the last possession

Hands to Walters. A few seconds longer he'd have had a snap 15 out from goal.

We want him to. But, sometimes these players take time. Players like Mundy, Fevola, Cox, Sandilands, Crowley, Walters, Hayse, Milne and Pendlebery all looked trash until they were 25.
Exactly, I think people on here were just a bit too harsh on Cerra, sure the guy made a couple of silly mistakes, but his game overall was fine, nothing real to complain about.

Exactly, I think people on here were just a bit too harsh on Cerra, sure the guy made a couple of silly mistakes, but his game overall was fine, nothing real to complain about.
Oh, yes I agree. Maybe they're also dog hungry for success - and their patience has been tested. I know I'm sick and tired of getting beat and bullied. I wonder if the players feel that as well? I certainly hope so.

What a totally arbitrary and ridiculous statement. He'll stand up when he's ready. Or he won't.
Third year. Some progress toward being a consistently good player shouldn't be too much to ask.

Schulz is a tryer but he isn't AFL standard. He lacks the tricks a small forward needs. I,'ve said it about him from day one.
Its an opinion from a non expert like most here, isn't that what BF is all about. :p

Based on his exposed form in 2020 that couldn’t be further from the truth (imo). His involvement through marks up the ground, tackling, marks inside 50 and goals have been off the scale for a small forward. Matera has more of a mercurial, midas touch, but if Schulz maintains his current form I’d much prefer that to Matera’s 2019 contribution.

Yeah, I get where you are coming from but in a shortened game he was always going to be down on possessions due to being down on time at the coalface...

After finally watching the replay I reckon anyone who thinks Tabs was in the right going for that mark has rocks on there head. However, Walters ‘leadership’ was just as bad as Tabs footy IQ, horrible look. I’ll give Walters a small out in that playing with Tabs must be incredibly frustrating - still hope Fyfe or JL told Walters he should know better than that
All depends on how much chat was coming from Sonny. Tabs job is to take marks in the forward line as close to goal as possible. If he either didn't hear Sonny or Sonny wasn't sufficiently vocal then he absolutely had to go for the mark. Just a shame his skills let him down as he should have held it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back