Toast Round 1 Selection - Hard Calls Made

Remove this Banner Ad

With a 5 day turn around and travel interstate, I can see both Guthrie and Henderson being selected. For whom I have no idea.

And that will be bewildering....in Guthrie's case anyway.

The suggestion is that a youngster makes way, as they won't have the fitness / tank to back up after 5 days.

Yet the solution is to bring in a guy with a calf issue, limited game time......and his ability to run the game out is very questionable.

Ok 😯

The suggestion is that a youngster makes way, as they won't have the fitness / tank to back up after 5 days.

Yet the solution is to bring in a guy with a calf issue, limited game time......and his ability to run the game out is very questionable.

Ok 😯

Not saying I agree but a lot would depend on how the players pull up after the Melbourne game more so than form.

A side from injuries next in line for a game atm would have to come from Abbott, Henderson, Narkle, Cunico, Cuthrie IMO.

A lot of water has passed under the bridge but Cuthrie’s best game for us was probably vs Adelaide in Adelaide a few years ago.

With Cam Guthrie not playing VFL today, surely it has to be questionable him coming in to the side to play the Crows? That's going to be something like 3 or 4 weeks between games and that is if he's fit to play next week.

I thinking that if Guthrie plays any football next week it will be in the VFL as he will have to prove his fitness and that he can get through at least one full game & have an impact in the game before being considered for selection

Ok 😯

If a guy misses 3 weeks they're normally brought straight back in because they don't lose that much fitness in that time. We don't know exactly when he picked up the issue but the second JLT was only 3 weeks ago and he had a full preseason so should be fine. Guys like Bews and Thuoy who missed most of preseason as well as returning from injury will likely need a couple of VFL matches to get up to speed.

If a guy misses 3 weeks they're normally brought straight back in because they don't lose that much fitness in that time. We don't know exactly when he picked up the issue but the second JLT was only 3 weeks ago and he had a full preseason so should be fine. Guys like Bews and Thuoy who missed most of preseason as well as returning from injury will likely need a couple of VFL matches to get up to speed.

Good points - just worries me it being a calf problem, because they can be a real pain in the butt and reappear just when you think you've shaken it.

Would Taylor and Hendo go ok against the Crows? They've got a pretty tall forward set up.

With Cam Guthrie not playing VFL today, surely it has to be questionable him coming in to the side to play the Crows? That's going to be something like 3 or 4 weeks between games and that is if he's fit to play next week.

I thinking that if Guthrie plays any football next week it will be in the VFL as he will have to prove his fitness and that he can get through at least one full game & have an impact in the game before being considered for selection

Id have his brother in first ..if he was not right to have a 1/2 in the twos then choose others.

Pick form not handle

Last edited:
And there's the problem. It's highly debatable that Cam is at a level where he justifies automatic selection.
Ling, ‘Mister Inner-sanctum’, said last night that Tuohy was the only player who would walk into the senior team. The others would have to prove themselves in the VFL.

Tuohy said on his podcast that he’d come through the VFL, but he may have been tongue in cheek, but still demonstrated the right attitude.

Like it or not Cam is wedded to the Cats with his contract, so he can’t pack up his toys and leave if he is selected for the VFL squad in weeks to come. Not that he appears to be the type of person to do that.

hey guys, wondering what you think of Miers job security, particularly the next 4 weeks?
Also, he got a lot more footy on the weekend also, would you expect rd 1 or 2 to be more his usual output?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back