Shield Round 1: September 24-27, 2021. South Australia v Western Australia. Karen Rolton Oval, Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Dragons, Blues, Tassie Tigers
I don't think he's even the best pure wicket keeper in this match.
Who is better? I dont see Peirson here.

There are some batsmen that are being offered a false sense of security by these flat batfest state decks. As when they are selected for test cricket their loose techniques find them out. Travis Head is one of these, Marcus Harris another. These poor excuses for a fair cricket wicket are destroying Shield cricket and doing nothing to challenge a technique, as was the case when we used the English Dukes ball. But CA in its wisdom dumped that tactic.

Last edited:
Who is better? I dont see Peirson here.

There are some batsmen that are being offered a false sense of security by these flat batfest state decks. As when they are selected for test cricket their loose techniques find them out. Travis Head is one of these, Marcus Harris another. These poor excuses for a fair cricket wicket are destroying Shield cricket and doing nothing to challenge a technique, as was the case when we used the English Dukes ball. But CA in its wisdom dumped that tactic.

Joel Paris the pick of the WA bowlers. Sure helps when you are a left arm swing bowler targeting a top six dominated by lefties.
As far as the "next gen" keepers are concerned, as glovework goes it would be:

Inglis

Harper
Holt (haven't seen a lot but he looks tidy)
Gotch

Carey
Peirson
Doran

Inglis is significantly better than the next group, who are better than the bottom group. Carey is nowhere near the best keeper of his peers.

Who holds the current Shield wicket keeping record once held by the great Adam Gilchrist? I dont see any of those that are on your list.
Oh, you're gonna blindly quote stats to me. Cool. Everyone knows that spinners are the true reflection on how good a keeper is. So, how about this, of his 59 dismissals off him that year, how many do you think were upp to the stumps off Zampa and Head? How many do you you think were keeping back to Sayers, Worrall, Mennie and Richardson?

If you watched Carey you would see he's not a good keeper up to the stumps. Literally everyone I listed could get 50+ dismissals if they had a seam attack that caused a dozen nicks a session.

RedTinMania

Senior List
Oct 16, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
As far as the "next gen" keepers are concerned, as glovework goes it would be:

Inglis

Harper
Holt (haven't seen a lot but he looks tidy)
Gotch

Carey
Peirson
Doran

Inglis is significantly better than the next group, who are better than the bottom group. Carey is nowhere near the best keeper of his peers.

Can't take this even remotely seriously with Gotch so high up on the list.

Short sleeves. Need I say more?

You tell me. His work up is tidy too. So stats for not only Carey, but Chris Hartley, Wade Secombe, Chuck Berry etc.. dont count.
That defeats the point of you guessing. I'm sure you can tell me, given he's the best keeper of the next generation according to you. Which he isn't.

I didn't get to see Berry or Seccomb all too often, given Berry's last game was when I was 11, and Seccombe when I was 12. Hartley was a good keeper and you could tell because he was good up to the stumps, unlike Carey.
Can't take this even remotely seriously with Gotch so high up on the list.

Short sleeves. Need I say more?
If you're judging him on what he wears in T20 (and he wears the short sleeves in that form to piss people off, which it clearly has here) then I hardly need to take your judgement seriously. It's about how they keep at FC level. Where he's okay without being brilliant.

RedTinMania

Senior List
Oct 16, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I have seen him keep, and "okay but not brilliant" seems a fair, if slightly generous, assessment. Would have Carey and even Pierson ahead of him, but not by a massive amount

Trolling or not, keeping in short sleeves is pretty sloppy

I have seen him keep, and "okay but not brilliant" seems a fair, if slightly generous, assessment. Would have Carey and even Pierson ahead of him, but not by a massive amount

Trolling or not, keeping in short sleeves is pretty sloppy
I have to disagree there. Carey and Peirson are poor keepers up to the stumps. After Inglis and Harper, it's all about who makes the least mistakes and how bad the mistakes are. For me, Peirson and Carey make more mistakes and are generally worse. I've seen both have some bad mistakes that have cost games. Peirson especially.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
Oh, you're gonna blindly quote stats to me. Cool. Everyone knows that spinners are the true reflection on how good a keeper is. So, how about this, of his 59 dismissals off him that year, how many do you think were upp to the stumps off Zampa and Head? How many do you you think were keeping back to Sayers, Worrall, Mennie and Richardson?

If you watched Carey you would see he's not a good keeper up to the stumps. Literally everyone I listed could get 50+ dismissals if they had a seam attack that caused a dozen nicks a session.

Not even Jack Russell would take catches off Head and Zampa's bowling, you have to find the edge to be able to catch them. Carey normally does alright keeping to Rashid Khan but then again T20 isn't a true reflection of wicketkeeping when concentration is likely the main downfall.

Westend

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Well another hard day for the bowlers

good to see Carder make his first ton and Head go big.....good for SA cricket and Australian cricket

and its good to see the carey/inglis debate in full swing......for me means its good for Aussie cricket

McAndrew can easily bat 5, 6 or 7 but there is no need to put that kind of pressure on him. Let him play as a bowler that can bat.
Not a lot of pressure batting 7. I think they need another front line bowler in the side personally.

Not a lot of pressure batting 7. I think they need another front line bowler in the side personally.

He has just been given an opportunity at FC level. Let him find his feet. IMO he is the type that will blossom.
No need to burden him with the extra responsibility at this point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back