Shield Round 1: September 24-27, 2021. South Australia v Western Australia. Karen Rolton Oval, Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

He has just been given an opportunity at FC level. Let him find his feet. IMO he is the type that will blossom.
No need to burden him with the extra responsibility at this point.
Honestly I think it's more pressure to bat him at 8. It means he's there as a bowler. 7 takes a lot of pressure off his bowling and doesn't add a lot of pressure batting wise either IMO

Pope turned a couple in that over at least. Head must have been working on his arm ball. Only ones he turned were that ones that nearly bounced twice and got spanked for four.

Our curator describes these early season wickets where there hasn't been much sun (deck doesn't harden, grass coverage still sparse) as "poopers"

Soft with no bounce, no pace, usually no turn, don't deteriorate. Batters don't like them, bowlers don't like them, spectators don't like them.

Unfortunately Karen Rolton Oval seems to stay like this for the whole season

They had the covers off during the heavy rains about a month ago and they only finished playing footy on it 2? weeks ago. (maybe 3 weeks).

Pitch is playing extraordinarily well but it does need to be much quicker otherwise it will be a run-fest every game.

Honestly I think it's more pressure to bat him at 8. It means he's there as a bowler. 7 takes a lot of pressure off his bowling and doesn't add a lot of pressure batting wise either IMO

He is there as a bowler and it should be his primary focus.
He can bowl 30 overs for not much and snag 2 or 3 wickets every time.

He is there as a bowler and it should be his primary focus.
He can bowl 30 overs for not much and snag 2 or 3 wickets every time.
I mean he's done really well here, and he reminds me a lot of John Hastings in the way he bowls a heavy ball, but looking at the balance of their side I'm looking at how they can win more games. For me it's dropping Kerber to get a genuine wicket taker in there like Doggett and moving him up a spot.

I mean he's done really well here, and he reminds me a lot of John Hastings in the way he bowls a heavy ball, but looking at the balance of their side I'm looking at how they can win more games. For me it's dropping Kerber to get a genuine wicket taker in there like Doggett and moving him up a spot.

He was batting 4 or 5 in grade cricket, he then chose to concentrate on his bowling, which has come on in leaps and bounds since then.
I think it was Ben Rohrer who suggested to him to concentrate on his bowling after a club game a few years ago. Rohrer made about 185(?) and McAndrew had him playing and missing all the way through his innings.

regulation pfft. Brilliant reflexes. Differing opinions. Leave it at that.,
Sure, dismiss my opinion and then say "leave it at that".

Peter Handscomb would catch that and he's a terrible keeper. As I said. Regulation.

SA probably need to roll them in the next 40 overs. If they don't, and WA still only go at 2.5 rpo over that time (very possible), the lead gets up to 190 off 38 overs. Not impossible, but very difficult.

Kerber can bat. SACA did not bring him across due to his bowling.
Yep. But SA have had two bowlers who've looked like a consistent threat this game in Grant and McAndrew, and they aren't going to win games if they can't take wickets. They need another threatening bowler otherwise they'll struggle to take 20 wickets consistently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If these two stay at the crease for the first hour I reckon they call it. I'm gonna be generous and say SA need them all out before the second new ball in 31 overs, if WA go at 2.5 an over that gives them about 205 off 35 to chase. Bat 5 overs more and it's 218 off 30.

The teams batting on way beyond the 100 overs costly. 131 and 128 overs in the first innings.

Pitch not good enough for a result without declarations
That's the curse of a 384 over game compared to a 450 over game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back