Preview Round 1, 2018: St.Kilda v Brisbane - Etihad Stadium, Saturday 24th March, 3:35PM AEDT

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 163 83.2%
  • Lions

Votes: 33 16.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
After uninspiring preseason performances, our confidence hasn't peaked yet.

Brisbane are a talented squad who have had the benefit of a year under their new coach, they will be no pushover this year and even less so in future seasons. If this were played in Brisbane I would be less confident. I think we should win by 5 goals and get our season off to a good start.

Human Person

Custom title
Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda

Brisbane are a talented squad who have had the benefit of a year under their new coach, they will be no pushover this year and even less so in future seasons. If this were played in Brisbane I would be less confident. I think we should win by 5 goals and get our season off to a good start.

Brisbane’s preseason was much less inspiring. We shouldn’t go in overconfident, but there’s a good reason we’re favourites.

Should be OK given quite a few reckon we will have a bad year...

You know that doesn't matter. We expect another middling year, to have written our season off after 2 games will cause melt downs.

Aug 25, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, San Antonio Spurs

They weren’t a push over last year despite our 37 scoring shots (14.23) to 21 (11.10).

If we’ve improved, I honestly expect 23.14 to be our score.

I’m intrigued to see what Fagan has in store for us

One week to go, one week to go, one week to go .......... how long to go ? One week that’s how long . Did I mention there is one week to go ?

Still looking forward to this season.

Speck

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm just nervous about starting badly. It's our biggest problem (soon followed by goalkicking). Sort our starts out and we won't spend a lot of games chasing our tails.

The Melbourne game last year also gives me nightmares. So good in that first quarter and how quickly it changed.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
we should win this game and the game against nth , however if they don't come with the right attitude we will get beaten , i'm hoping we beat both well and roll into the game against the crows full of confidence and beat them , if this occurs people will be jumping on the saints band wagon - no team is unbeatable and at least we get to play them at home this year.
we need the forwards to stand up and make a statement , if they do teams will have to adjust their back line to counter our forwards which will only help our style of play - imagine if membery , bruce and macartin all kicked 3 goals a game we will be well on the way to the top 4.
3 great marking targets with 2 elite small forwards in billings and gresham will surely worry a lot of teams.
with steele , acres stepping up this year with steven , armitage , sinclair , ross playing good football we are in for a great year.
having 2 games against teams that are not really finals contenders ( however they will not be walkovers) i hope will get the team ready to play the likes of crows , geelong and gws.

hoping for a good year

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
the thing i like about this year as well is after our preseason games that we lost , it has put everyone on notice that they will have to put in if they want success , if we had of beaten melbourne and carlton we would of most probably rolled into round one thinking we can easily roll the lions and the roos , for sure now they will do their upmost to prove they can be a force this year , if they get rolled by the lions or roos imagine the talk - rebuild - coach etc

expect the saints to come out blazing

Had a dream about the Brisbane game last night . Late in the last quarter and Lions up by two points when Gresham snaps a goal . Then the saints have another chance with Membrey all alone in the pocket but the pass goes over his head . He gets the ball but now running away from goal, tries to pass but hits a Lions player on the chest . Lions charge forward but a great spoil by Gears stops what looked like a certain goal . A long kick forward for the Saints has Paddy marking on his chest about 15 out from goal but on the wrong side for a right footer . The siren goes , Paddy has a shot with a banana kick and slots it through . Saints win by 10 points .
I will take a win any day of the week .

May 10, 2013
Queensland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Baghdadian Babes
Had a dream about the Brisbane game last night . Late in the last quarter and Lions up by two points when Gresham snaps a goal . Then the saints have another chance with Membrey all alone in the pocket but the pass goes over his head . He gets the ball but now running away from goal, tries to pass but hits a Lions player on the chest . Lions charge forward but a great spoil by Gears stops what looked like a certain goal . A long kick forward for the Saints has Paddy marking on his chest about 15 out from goal but on the wrong side for a right footer . The siren goes , Paddy has a shot with a banana kick and slots it through . Saints win by 10 points .
I will take a win any day of the week .

I had a dream last night as well, none of those characters above featured in it.
Oh! BTW in my dream I scored. :p

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
I might be in the minority on this board but gilbert should play rnd 1..

Runs on the board, ill be disappointed if he's still in the side in rnd 23 but he deserves every opportunity and at his best is still important for us.
To be honest, it’s a good sign if a few young guys can go past him, but the hate on Gilbert lately is a bit of a joke. He was one of our better players last year.

Saying that, I’d like to see someone like Coffield with much better disposal go past him. Our kicking coming out of our back half is not good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back