Preview Round 1: St.Kilda vs Melbourne March 25 4.35pm @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

This match will be weird. I guess it's a positive that being round one it will attract a fair few Demon supporters who swore on their mothers grave they would never go back to Etihad after the last effort. Well, it will work on me anyhow. Seems a bit rough on my mum though.

And wouldn't you know it - as soon as I think about Etihad I glance up and one of the cats is vomitting a hairball on the floorboards.

Good question. I think the biggest issue we face against the Saints is the high pressure you apply and your speed going back the other way. I don't think we need to match your speed (Although ours will improve next year if we can get Hunt/Kent/Salem/Stretch into the same team) as the Swans have smacked you two years in a row despite being a slow side themselves, but we do need to improve our skills under pressure.

I've said it before and will say it again, both of the 2016 games when it was clear you guys had a run on in the 2nd quarter we needed to identify that and shut the game down (Which is very easy to do at Etihad, Saints did it for years under Lyon). Instead of doing that we just kept trying to run through your press which I put down to inexperience because clearly that isn't going to work. We are also a stronger clearance side than you and the more stoppages the game has the more it'll benefit us.
Our zone defense was also too slow to adapt when a turnover occurred, you could tell in the first game, that's why Dunny was cracking the shits. You'd watch our players press up into the high zone when we had the ball, we'd turn it over at half forward, and noone would push back hard, leaving dunn the only player in the backline watching an army of saints stream forward.

Our zone defense was also too slow to adapt when a turnover occurred, you could tell in the first game, that's why Dunny was cracking the shits. You'd watch our players press up into the high zone when we had the ball, we'd turn it over at half forward, and noone would push back hard, leaving dunn the only player in the backline watching an army of saints stream forward.

Yeah I think you and schmuttt both nailed it
We looked tired against the saints so every time we turned it over we couldn't match their 2 way running
Same as @schmutt said as well we need to shut the game down when they have momentum
Flood the contest like bulldogs did this year and make it difficult to score or sit deep and play on the counter attack for a few minutes using Petracca Hogan and Garlett forward of the ball etc

I'm glad this is our R1 game. We need to start humiliating clubs like they've done us. We have three game streaks against Richmond and Collingwood, let's double down on those. GWS have lost their last two to us so let's continue being a thorn in their side. Should have started on the Saints ******* five games ago but next match will do if we can thrash them at Etihad on a Saturday evening.

B: Jetta OMac Frost
HB: Hibberd TMac Hunt
C: Stretch Tyson Melksham
HF: Petracca Hogan Watts
F: Kent Pedo/Weid Garlett
R: Gawn Lewis Jones
Int: Viney Vince Brayshaw Oliver

B: Geary Brown Webster
HB: Montagna Carlisle Savage
C: Riewoldt Armitage Newnes
HF: Gresham Bruce Billings
F: Membrey McCartin Weller
R: Hickey Steven Ross
Int: Roberton Steele Dunstan Acres

Viney and Vince on the bench is a luxury.

Our midfielders are now better than St Kilda. Adding Jordan Lewis will do that. Where the problem lies is in the Saints' tall timber. We just don't have enough legs to cover Riewoldt and all of McCartin/Membrey/Bruce/Hickey. We need to play control ball and not allow the over-the-top goals that killed us in '16.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our midfielders are now better than St Kilda. Adding Jordan Lewis will do that. Where the problem lies is in the Saints' tall timber. We just don't have enough legs to cover Riewoldt and all of McCartin/Membrey/Bruce/Hickey. We need to play control ball and not allow the over-the-top goals that killed us in '16.

Fair post but Viney isn't starting on the pine lol. I'd also rather Salem on a wing than Melksham but they might get Christian just to prove his fitness with a good preseason bevfore they consider putting him in the side.

You guys have the best young midfield in the AFL.

I wish we had your speed and manic pressure though

I think the main reason we beat you last year was that Richo outcoached Roos after the first quarters.

I will be interested to see if Goodwin changes that. The teams seem to stack up pretty well on paper (although I think we bat a little deeper).

Viney on the bench? What?

Do you guys think that Goodwin will add any changes to your game plan during the off season? and do you guys think there will be a strong focus on getting run and spread out of the contests and try to either match or go against St Kildas spread?

If it was on the MCG I think we could easily match St Kilda with the squad we have now.

I think on the contrary, at Etihad, we need to slow it down and think our way through St Kilda's pressure instead of playing on and running into trouble.

The only way you guys score against us is from turnover goals over the top. If we can control the ball more instead of rushing and turning it over then we should have a better shot at winning.

If it was on the MCG I think we could easily match St Kilda with the squad we have now.

I think on the contrary, at Etihad, we need to slow it down and think our way through St Kilda's pressure instead of playing on and running into trouble.

The only way you guys score against us is from turnover goals over the top. If we can control the ball more instead of rushing and turning it over then we should have a better shot at winning.

We need to be more aggressive against the Saints.

The last couple of games has seen them bring the "heater" in the second quarter and seen us fold like a deck of cards.

They also have big Maxy worked out with their Ruckman more than breaking even against him.

Time to play Spencer as well for this game.

That being said:

I'm confident that we now have the team to beat the Saints in round one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back