AFLW Round 1, Suns v Dees @ Metricon - Jan 30th.

Remove this Banner Ad

A little bit of reality check. Pressure was great, tackling too. That's about it. Terrible disposal, turnover after turnover, random kicks, panicking, dumb 50m penalties. So far the worst team from the 3 games I watched.

A little bit of reality check. Pressure was great, tackling too. That's about it. Terrible disposal, turnover after turnover, random kicks, panicking, dumb 50m penalties. So far the worst team from the 3 games I watched.
Wasn't great. Just went for first options instead of taking any time to make better decisions. Got well beaten as was deserved

I don’t think reality check just bit more work on the skills to stop the fumbling and hack kicks will be ok I reckon..

Looks like the coach is trying to get more games into the younger players and also trying to use so many local players on the list that they are only in their second year so until around 20 or so games going to be up and down

Also missing Yorston in the middle she’s a solid midfielder and probably need someone more senior down back to help Pregelj.. I thought hickey looked alright down back last year or maybe bring Ernst in

Also doesn't help giving away 50 metre penalties that resulted in goals.

Only 1,902 people turned up. But isn't queenland stadiums 100% capacity now? Bit disappointing

I actually think 2000 is an ok crowd for a January game at 2pm, when competition from the beaches plays a telling part .

And also think that 1902 from a pop. of 600k in a non-AFL state compares more than favourably with the Pies v Carlton game (7000) and the Saints v Bulldogs (2500)

I actually think 2000 is an ok crowd for a January game at 2pm, when competition from the beaches plays a telling part .

And also think that 1902 from a pop. of 600k in a non-AFL state compares more than favourably with the Pies v Carlton game (7000) and the Saints v Bulldogs (2500)
Games in Melbourne were sold out. Plenty more people would come if they could.

The games in vic were capped at 50% stadium capacity, and were sold out.

But fair enough. Maybe people preferred to be at the beach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The games in vic were capped at 50% stadium capacity, and were sold out.

But fair enough. Maybe people preferred to be at the beach.

Fair point......I thought the weather in Melb. might have played a part in keeping numbers down. Didn't realise they were capped. I reckon a 6-7pm start would have attracted a few more heads at Metricon.

Fair point......I thought the weather in Melb. might have played a part in keeping numbers down. Didn't realise they were capped. I reckon a 6-7pm start would have attracted a few more heads at Metricon.
Yeah, we're starting things off slow here in melb after all our covid outbreaks. They're hoping for 50% for round 1 of the AFL season.
I was at Ikon park for the game on thursday. So nice to attend the footy again.

Thought the girls were aggressive, enthusiastic.
Mostly lacking poise though.

I thought most of the debutants showed things.

Darcy showed a bit more poise with the ball when she had it
Missing Jacqui Yorston in the middle.

Sarah Perkins was great!

Heard the commentators say it was our highest score ever. At least there is that!

Also doesn't help giving away 50 metre penalties that resulted in goals.

Only 1,902 people turned up. But isn't queenland stadiums 100% capacity now? Bit disappointing
Day games in Queensland is just bad scheduling by any sporting organisations.

Between school sports, club sports, and our out doors recreation culture up here, any organisation is potentially missing out on 50% of their target market.

Perkins just changes the way we move the ball. She's also probably our most skilled user by foot. Great pick up.

Losing Jac from an already pretty weak midfield really exposes us. Stanton is AA calibre but can't do it herself.

Overall we seem to be playing AFLW as it was played 3 or 4 years ago. Rely on pressure and get it through. This isn't going to cut it against a lot of teams now who are starting to get far better shape around the ball, helped by their ability to hit targets. We on the other hand panicked quite a bit and lost what little shape existed.

Overall we lack the marquee players that a lot of other clubs have. We have Stanton (thank God). Just not enough. The 3 50s sucks. Just ill discipline.

Randomly, Daisy's footy IQ is just off the charts compared to nearly every other player we had out there. She's a fraction of what she was physically 4 years ago (as you'd expect given birth of twins and getting older), but she just knows where the ball is going to be way before anyone else. Looks like she will settle into a Luke Hodge role.

The 50m penalties killed the girls yesterday. I'm sure at least two of the three 50m penalties cost us goals and that is just so demoralising when you're out there. Hopefully Lakey makes it clear that they will be punished on the scoreboard if they don't clean up their ill disciplined play. It was also interesting to see Lake swing Kindy to the backline after she was having next to no impact as a forward. She looked dangerous when she got her hands on it but she never seemed to get near it when we went inside 50.

Tough game next week against Collingwood. Let's see what the girls have in them.

Some of the girls were way off what we are used to yesterday, in particular Howarth (injury excuse) and Bella.
Also Paige Parker the so called athlete development player has not improved at all. She really frustrates me.
The new players all pretty much showed something.
Anyway who knows-Melbourne might go on and win the GF and we look at this game differently in weeks to come.

Number 4 for Melbourne was at another level to everyone out there.

Some of the girls were way off what we are used to yesterday, in particular Howarth (injury excuse) and Bella.
Also Paige Parker the so called athlete development player has not improved at all. She really frustrates me.
The new players all pretty much showed something.
Anyway who knows-Melbourne might go on and win the GF and we look at this game differently in weeks to come.

Number 4 for Melbourne was at another level to everyone out there.
I'm with you on Paige Parker,
Never seems to do anything positive

Bella had about double the hit outs of her opponents, but. didn't do much else around the ground. The Melbourne ruck took a few nice marks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back