Review Round 1 - Sydney Swans vs Essendon Bombers - Match Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

In many ways this was the least deserved victory the Swans have had in my living memory. We won but it was only because Essendon lack match fitness. We should not let the win cover over the massive cracks we saw in the first 3 quarters.

In saying that though I was thrilled with the win and even over 3 hours after the match finished I still don't quite believe we actually won.

What a ridiculous game that was. I can't remember a game which the Swans have least deserved to win. I cannot express how much joy and satisfaction I got out of seeing the Bombers capitulate like that. Not so much for the players, but to see James Hird on the screen looking so dejected after the match was a joy.

Anyway, on to the game, that first quarter was as woeful as I've seen a Swans side be. It was just meek effort after meek effort, constant turnovers under pressure and a seeming lack of interest. Being made to look slow, unskillful and second rate to Hawthorn is acceptable but to an Essendon side that hadn't played all NAB Challenge and will likely have its work cut out to make the finals this year was horrible to see. Second quarter at least they won their fair share of ball, just couldn't capitalise. 3rd quarter was pretty terrible too, more of the same terrible decisions and awful skills.

Up until that point, Parker, Kennedy, Ted, Grundy and Heeney were the only ones I was mildly pleased with at least. Grundy ended up keeping Carlisle from having any impact at all so that was a win despite some shocking decisions and I thought Ted actually was fantastic all game. He had to deal with a ridiculous amount of ball coming his way and Daniher barely sniffed it. Parker and Kennedy did as they always do.

Some things I noticed in particular:

- Franklin can turn a game on the back of awful service all night and being scragged, often by 2 opponents. He's that damn good. Hurley did a good job for much of the match but this guy is on another level of talent.

- Strike up another good wet weather Tippett game. For much of the game, he showed he can be more than effective in the ruck and in the last quarter he showed how good he is forward. Should have taken that last grab on Fletcher to give him 3 for the quarter, but nevertheless, great to see he's already looking solid after an injury. I actually thought he and Pyke were both solid in the ruck. They controlled that area, the midfield just couldn't win it cleanly for most of the game.

- Reid shifted from doing bugger all in attack to playing a handy role in defence. Took some really needed marks and looks so much more comfortable. Please just leave him there. We don't need him clogging the forward line with Franklin, Tippett, Pyke, Goodes, Heeney, Towers all going in and out of that area right now.

- Stating the obvious, but holy *, Heeney is going to be a stud. He did a few physical things out there that made me hard. Throw in his smooth skills and we've got a player there. He made some pretty easy turnovers but hey, gonna happen.

- As a consequence of Reid playing back, Rampe shifting further up the field into the midfield was great to see. He took quite a few centre bounces and had important touches and looked very natural. Having a big, strong athlete like him in there will be of great use I think.

- Laidler playing on a wing/HF worked a treat in the second half. He looked a step quicker than everyone else as the comeback surged. Some really important pieces of play from him to move the ball forward. He and Lloyd were vital in the surge with their run, carry and clean skills.

- Kieren Jack plugged into the middle. He seemed to be playing primarily on the HFF until the 3rd but when we needed him, he exploded. He and Hannebery were great when needed.

All that said, we overran a very underdone side that hadn't played at all so far this year. So that cannot be noted enough. If we're serious about beating Port next week in Adelaide, they'll need to turn up in a far better frame of mind than they did tonight because tonight's effort won't go close to cutting it against the Power.

We would of won comfortably if it was dry AND at the SCG where it should of been played. We got the win which is pleasing but will need to play out of our skins next week over in port.

I think Adam Goodes was onto something with Hird in 2007

I was at that game as a young whippersnapper in his first year as a Sydney Swans member.

Have hated Essendon ever since.

I must admit, I was cursing the players for much of the 3 quarters.

I was filthy that we were putting in a terrible performance after what we served up in the GF.

I was soaking wet, dropped my phone and totally smashed the screen walking to the stadium.

I was not a happy camper at that point.

I was strongly considering leaving at 3 qtr time. My thought process at the time was "yeah, I may have left early, but at least I showed up, unlike many of our players.

and then the 4th quarter happened. Glad I held on to that glimmer of hope.

Players showed a lot of heart in the end.

And Heeney, what a gun, picked up a soaking wet footy from his feet, gathered, composed and slots it in on his left (is he a right footer?). I don't care what happens, Heeney must stay in the side. He has character, and can lift in important moments.

To all the haters out there, Tippo is worth every cent!

I'll reserve my judgement whether he has been worth the coin or not when he is finished. He played well but I don't want to now hear that he has some sort of injury and is out for 4 weeks! He needs to stay on the park!

What a ridiculous game that was. I can't remember a game which the Swans have least deserved to win. I cannot express how much joy and satisfaction I got out of seeing the Bombers capitulate like that. Not so much for the players, but to see James Hird on the screen looking so dejected after the match was a joy.

Anyway, on to the game, that first quarter was as woeful as I've seen a Swans side be. It was just meek effort after meek effort, constant turnovers under pressure and a seeming lack of interest. Being made to look slow, unskillful and second rate to Hawthorn is acceptable but to an Essendon side that hadn't played all NAB Challenge and will likely have its work cut out to make the finals this year was horrible to see. Second quarter at least they won their fair share of ball, just couldn't capitalise. 3rd quarter was pretty terrible too, more of the same terrible decisions and awful skills...

... All that said, we overran a very underdone side that hadn't played at all so far this year. So that cannot be noted enough. If we're serious about beating Port next week in Adelaide, they'll need to turn up in a far better frame of mind than they did tonight because tonight's effort won't go close to cutting it against the Power.
Agreed. As I posted earlier, I really hope the coaching panel take a critical and honest look at the first 2 1/2 to 3 quarters. There were some serious issues there that need to be addressed. We must start the Port game like we finished today's, otherwise we'll be blown out of the water and we won't witness another comeback like we've just seen.

Underdone or not, thank god you guys just stopped a million "feel good" stories. Ludicrous how not only do the footy media expect us to just sweep it under the rug, we have to treat the Bombers like they're heroes. Let the excuses for Essendon flow.

They are still getting the #brave crap

Underdone or not, thank god you guys just stopped a million "feel good" stories. Ludicrous how not only do the footy media expect us to just sweep it under the rug, we have to treat the Bombers like they're heroes. Let the excuses for Essendon flow.

I can't believe how many people were coming out of the woordwork talking about how Hird is a man of great character who was hung and quartered by the media. Meanwhile neglecting the fact that it was Essendon's not guilty verdict came down to the fact that they failed to keep a record of the drugs that were administered, they weren't cleared, they just burnt the evidence.

The players and fans don't deserve it, but the administration should have all fallen on their swords over this. Freaking cheats.

I can't believe how many people were coming out of the woordwork talking about how Hird is a man of great character who was hung and quartered by the media. Meanwhile neglecting the fact that it was Essendon's not guilty verdict came down to the fact that they failed to keep a record of the drugs that were administered, they weren't cleared, they just burnt the evidence.

The players and fans don't deserve it, but the administration should have all fallen on their swords over this. Freaking cheats.

Players deserve it imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Replay is up to last quarter down by 20

But forgetting the obvious intensity lift we finally started kicking long and ditched the over handballing

Laidler rampe lloyd lifted

Rohan brave efforts

Jetta better than i thought

He must have taken 200 shots like that then because it's eerily similar to one he kicked against the Weagles in 2012 at Subiaco

In wet in that moment though

I dunno just thought it was a rippa

Can't believe what I'm seeing!!
Cmon Swa

+1 .. well put .. Sydney crowd gave him what he deserved

Sorry to intrude however that congratulations on an almost impossible reversal of form and it's games like that that build the character you need at the other end of the season.

I was listening to the game on 3AW radio and the crud of "Essendon are back, all is forgotten, all hale the great Hird" was sickening. If you stopped Essendon making the 4 or the 8 this year with that game then you have made a lot of fans happy and did what the AFL should have.

All the best for season 2015 - excluding round five.

Handballs. All we do is handball
That's it
Replay is up to last quarter down by 20

But forgetting the obvious intensity lift we finally started kicking long and ditched the over handballing

Laidler rampe lloyd lifted

Rohan brave efforts

Jetta better than i thought
Jetta dogged it on at least 2 occasions

What a ridiculous game that was. I can't remember a game which the Swans have least deserved to win....
That's a first rate summary S120. Jake Lloyd made a real difference when subbed on in the 3rd. Dane Rampe moved closer to the action was an inspired decision, he's strong and kicks it long, ideal for wet weather football.

Reid does look more comfortable down back, and a good tall goal line stopper.

Dean Towers is finding a niche in the forward line, 16 possies and a nice goal assist to Buddy. He'll go even better if his team mates start kicking it to him!

Isaac Heeney just made it even tougher for Tom Mitchell.

That tackle by Buddy in the back half was breathtaking. Saved a certain goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back