Round 1 team 2021

the correct way to display a team is

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not just at a bounce though. Do you really want Crouch, Sloane and Laird in the middle? Crouch, Hately and Laird? There are just too many slowish inside mids. It's a worry, especially around the ground. How well do you think those 3 would go on the spread when chasing?

It just worries me as I think Hately has a 200 game career ahead and Sloane is the one who looks out of place in that midfield.

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong and the Sloane we all know and love is back. It would make a huge difference to our team.

The only player in our midfield that can only play inside midfield is Matt Crouch. Every other player can rotate through half back, wing and forward. I don't see it as a big issue.

Ultimately we need 4-5 guys or more that can play inside midfield, so I'd expect Hately to be part of that rotation

If we're basing things on the internal trial then Hamill isn't making the side, and Hately isn't missing.
And Worrell isn't playing CHB at this point in time, Lynch is a lock and Fogarty close to a lock.

Hately should be in to play on the bigger guys. Yes he has deficiencies - acceleraion and disposal sometime, but hes a very good contested ball winner for his age and his size is the point of difference.

What is the point of Sloane in the middle, theres no point of difference, hes not the future - 31 well past his prime. He's done some good things playing forward. play him there.

Tried to put together a best 22 and it was far too difficult.

Various iterations had a combination of players like Pedlar, McHenry, Worrell, Lynch, Walker, Fogarty, Keays, Jones, Thilthorpe missing.

We'll have to choose a group of younger players to back in for the first 5-7 weeks of the season, then reassess based on form. The worst thing would be chopping and changing between (for example) Jones, McHenry, Pedlar and Schoenberg in a single spot. Some players will just have to accept being out of the team for a couple of months as we rotate through younger players in blocks.

These are the ONLY locks I'd have in the side:

Doedee (if fit), McPherson, Smith
Laird, Milera, Sholl, Crouch, O'Brien
McAdam

Likely locks due to political reasons, not form: Lynch, Sloane

---

Young players I'd back in for the first 5-7 weeks of the season: Hately, Jones, McHenry, Rowe, McAsey, Schoenberg

Players I'd back in for the second block, dependent on form and available spots: Pedlar, Worrell, Butts, Hamill, Berry

Thilthorpe to play as soon as ready.

Players that I would not consider for any matches: Strachan, Davis, Mackay, Kelly, Seedsman, Frampton

What I would like to see

FF Rowe Thilthorpe Fog
HF Cook Tex McAdam
C Pedler Crouch Sholl
HB Smith Doedee McAstey
FB Brown Talia McPherson
Ruck ROB Sloane Laird

Int Himmelberg Milera Hatley Schoenberg

What we will see I have no idea.

Last edited:
What I would like to see

FF Rowe Thilthorpe Fog
HF Cook Tex McAdam
C Pedler Crouch Sholl
HB Smith Doedee McAstey
FB Brown Talia Doedee
Ruck ROB Sloane Laird

Int McPherson Milera Hatley Schoenberg

Tommy's good but I reckon playing 2 positions will test him...;)

Don’t know about round 1 2021 but would love to see us work towards a side like this by mid-season:

B: Brown Talia Doedee
HB: Smith McAsey Laird
R: O’Brien Sloane Schoenberg
C: Milera M. Crouch Hamill
HF: Lynch Fogarty Keays
F: Rowe Thilthorpe McAdam

IC: Hately, Pedlar, Jones, McHenry

Round 1 prediction:

F: Rowe Walker McAdam

• Of the draftees I think we'll see Pedlar and Rowe in the 22 from day dot.
  • 3 of Jones, Scholl, McHenry, Hamill
  • Obviously still up for grabs over the remainder of the preseason but I think it'll end up being Fogarty/Walker as our starting tall forward combo, with Thilthorpe/Himmelberg/Frampton snapping at their heels to get a game (and I expect 1 or 2 of them will after a few weeks of strong SANFL performances).
  • Wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Butts get a game either because of Talia’s limited prep.

Last edited:
We had proper umpires on the weekend right? Because I saw plenty of movement on the mark and don't remember it being penalised once??
The good umpires won't bother with it, hate the rule as much as we do and hope it goes away in time

The look-at-me sticklers will need a new pea by Round 3 and are salivating

Doedee back in full training, not sure he's out of R1 calculations just yet.
Given his injury issues, I would not be rushing him & giving Worrell a debut.

We should be playing the long game.

If we're basing things on the internal trial then Hamill isn't making the side, and Hately isn't missing.
Both Hammil & Hately should be picked if fit.

The only player in our midfield that can only play inside midfield is Matt Crouch. Every other player can rotate through half back, wing and forward. I don't see it as a big issue.

Ultimately we need 4-5 guys or more that can play inside midfield, so I'd expect Hately to be part of that rotation
Agree.

We should be aiming for a bigger rotation of midfielders with our forwards/defenders... with only Crouch suited to playing only as a mid.

And Worrell isn't playing CHB at this point in time, Lynch is a lock and Fogarty close to a lock.
Worrell should be playing as our 3rd tall defender with Butts & McAsey in the key posts in Talia's (& Doedee's) absence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given his injury issues, I would not be rushing him & giving Worrell a debut.

We should be playing the long game.
Yet you'd rush Hamill back even though he hasn't gotten through an AFL without a concussion since about R5 last year.

What I would like to see

FF Rowe Thilthorpe Fog
HF Cook Tex McAdam
C Pedler Crouch Sholl
HB Smith Doedee McAstey
FB Brown Talia McPherson
Ruck ROB Sloane Laird

Int Himmelberg Milera Hatley Schoenberg

Cook won't be playing AFL anytime soon... & is a longer term prospect.

Hately yes, Hamill no.

He's not at the point where he's a best 22 lock.
He should be.

Will be a gun.

The only reason Hamill shouldn't be playing is if we are managing injury concerns.

He should be.

Will be a gun.

The only reason Hamill shouldn't be playing is if we are managing injury concerns.
He MIGHT be a gun, but the head knocks and how easy they seemed to occur are a massive worry.

Yet you'd rush Hamill back even though he hasn't gotten through an AFL without a concussion since about R5 last year.
Hammill did nothing in the intraclub that fills me with confidence he would be a lock in round 1 unless he has a big game the next 2 weeks I think he misses.

Round 1 prediction:

F: Rowe Walker McAdam

• Of the draftees I think we'll see Pedlar and Rowe in the 22 from day dot.
  • Obviously still up for grabs over the remainder of the preseason but I think it'll end up being Fogarty/Walker as our starting tall forward combo, with Thilthorpe/Himmelberg/Frampton snapping at their heels to get a game (and I expect 1 or 2 of them will after a few weeks of strong SANFL performances).
  • Wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Butts get a game either because of Talia’s limited prep.
Not a fan of McPherson?

He is a Monty for round 1... unless injured.

He MIGHT be a gun, but the head knocks and how easy they seemed to occur are a massive worry.
He's had a whole pre-season to recover!!!

You may as well delist him then.

He's had a whole pre-season to recover!!!

You may as well delist him then.
So has Paddy McCartin.

If he gets another one early in the year then yeah I would delist the poor kid. Also as Bicks said, he was virtually unsighted in the trial when other put their hands up.

So you think we can have a midfield rotation that includes Crouch, Sloane, Keays and Hately? Your not worried about the number of inside mids? I am.
Unfortunately, I think we have to accepts that Sloane has lost his run. His legs aren't the same. So effectively he's just a bash and crash inside mid.

Yup. It needs work for the future, but history has been very clear, you want a midfield that contains Crouch and Sloane to work, you need a 190cm+ midfielder to accompany them, and provide that point of difference. Hately also has some flexibility to his game being able to play forward so we're not stuck with another pure mid. We need 5-7 players who are able to rotate through.

Mind you, I'd be moving on Keays sooner rather then later. I like him a lot, but he doesn't offer a point of difference outside of tagging to save him from Pedlar/Berry (though Keays might be able to reinvent himself, and I'm pretty comfortable with us exploring that). I'd also heavily consider moving Matt Crouch on at the end of the year due to the aforementioned Pedlar/Berry and us being in a rebuild if we really rate the pair. Retaining both Crouch and Laird for another contract doesn't make that much sense if you think both are going to be our starting midfielders in the next couple of years (and if the internal trial showed one thing, the Berry/Pedlar/Hately combo has a lot of potential).

Last edited:
Yup. It needs work for the future, but history has been very clear, you want a midfield that contains Crouch and Sloane to work, you need a 190cm+ midfielder to accompany them, and provide that point of difference. Hately also has some flexibility to his game being able to play forward so we're not stuck with another pure mid. We need 5-7 players who are able to rotate through.

Mind you, I'd be moving on Keays sooner rather then later. I like him a lot, but he doesn't offer a point of difference outside of tagging to save him from Pedlar/Berry (though Keays might be able to reinvent himself, and I'm pretty comfortable with us exploring that). I'd also heavily consider moving Matt Crouch on at the end of the year due to the aforementioned Pedlar/Berry and us being in a rebuild if we really rate the pair. Retaining both Crouch and Laird for another contract doesn't make that much sense if you think both are going to be our starting midfielders in the next couple of years (and if the internal trial showed one thing, the Berry/Pedlar/Hately combo has a lot of potential).
So going on from the moving on Matt crouch idea, should the club be putting a time line on it with him, Doedee, McAsey and others OOC this year? Say if crouch hasn’t signed by round X then the club sits him out the rest of the season like teams in the NBA do to protect an asset from injury and also with where the club is at those 10-15 games can be valuably put into a young mid like berry, pedlar, Schoenberg and co rather than wasted on a bloke who isn’t going to be there in the future?

Back