Round 1 team 2021

the correct way to display a team is

• Total voters
So going on from the moving on Matt crouch idea, should the club be putting a time line on it with him, Doedee, McAsey and others OOC this year? Say if crouch hasn’t signed by round X then the club sits him out the rest of the season like teams in the NBA do to protect an asset from injury and also with where the club is at those 10-15 games can be valuably put into a young mid like berry, pedlar, Schoenberg and co rather than wasted on a bloke who isn’t going to be there in the future?

You use Crouch for every game he's available for, barring a massive downturn in form. Doedee is guaranteed to stay and the worst thing the club could do is hurt McAsey trade value, if he goes, it's imperative we recoup as close to pick 6 as possible. Butts, whilst looking like he'll be a good player, just is nowhere near as important compared to that.

The key to this year is to remain competitive, and to limit blowouts whilst we start to pump games into a lot of our youth. Someone like Crouch is necessary this year because the biggest issue we face is how much disparity with experience on our list, in that we could be seriously facing half of our best 22 starting this season on < 25 games. We can afford to take more time on a Berry, O'Connor etc and use them as an addition next year if we have to as a part of the '2nd wave' of youth coming through. Mind you, I would be surprised and concerned if Schoenberg got under 15 games, seeing he all but sealed a best 22 spot last year.

Sidthehat

All Australian
Oct 7, 2017
London
AFL Club
Adelaide
I take it that's a moment when you ask a question that sounds smart in your mind, but doesn't when said out loud.

Hately is a 191 cm/91 kg midfielder (Torpedro posted numbers from last week, which I'm inclined to believe). Sloane is 183 cm/83 kg. Not only that, but the only times our midfield has been genuinely competitive in the past four years, bar a small burst in early 2017, it has required a player built like Hately to be in our inside mix. It's been that required that even an incredibly limited player in CEY had this impact in early 2019.

You can not only fit Hately and Sloane in the same side, you absolutely need a Hately or an O'Connor to be in that set up if you want us to be even remotely competitive. They're your genuinely big-bodied midfielders, and a line up that doesn't have one of those two in it is a terrible lineup for the tools we have at our disposal.
Think both have points. Looking back at that early 2019 when we were in the top 8, we were so dire and felt we kept competitive it because of Greenwood and CEY trapping play inside, whenever the opp got any spread we were killed. Without them two we were murdered for most of 2020 in and out. Still think we start with Sloane, Laird, Crouch, Keays at most bounces but hope we quickly bring in Hately and speedy option too.

Torpedro

Senior List
Feb 19, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
I reckon too many are writing off Keays too quickly. I don't believe he'll ever be elite but he certainly still has room to develop into more than a fringe player. He and Laird were easily the best mids in the internal trial from my view. Last year was the first season he's been given significant mid minutes with any consistency and he played best when he did. he may not be particularly tall but at 89kg he has a fair bit on Sloane, Laird, and Crouch. His time at Brisbane also proved he can be useful up forward. And he's only just turned 24.

So has Paddy McCartin.

If he gets another one early in the year then yeah I would delist the poor kid. Also as Bicks said, he was virtually unsighted in the trial when other put their hands up.
So when do we play Hamill... or are you going to keep him in cotton wool forever? He hasn't had a head knock all preseason that I'm aware of? Do you think he needs months more off?

Shouldn't be picking teams on 1 game alone...

So has Paddy McCartin.

If he gets another one early in the year then yeah I would delist the poor kid. Also as Bicks said, he was virtually unsighted in the trial when other put their hands up.

I wouldn't delist someone just because they had three head knocks. That's just a waste. The only course is to just hope their luck changes with it.

You are also overrating the impact of that trial game (I know, we're football starved at this point). What's more important is last year Hamill showed he was worth putting time into.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
So when do we play Hamill... or are you going to keep him in cotton wool forever? He hasn't had a head knock all preseason that I'm aware of? Do you think he needs months more off?

Shouldn't be picking teams on 1 game alone...
I want to see him get through this week and the PS game and increase his output.

He's not a best 22 player..... YET.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Assuming Talia does play opener and Doedee doesn't. Here are what I think are the realistic locks and leading contenders for round 1.

Defence locks (4)
Talia Brown McPherson Smith

Contenders
(1 or 2 of) Kelly Worrell Hamill Hinge
(1 of) Butts Mcasey

Midfield locks (6)
O'Brien Sloane Crouch Laird Sholl Keays

(2 or 3 of): Hately Milera Schoenberg McHenry
(1 or 2 of) Seedsman Jones Mackay

Forward locks (3)
Walker McAdam Lynch

Contenders
(1 of): Himmelberg Frampton
(1/2/3 of): Murphy Fogarty Rowe

Predicted:
Brown Talia Kelly
Smith Butts McPherson
Jones Sloane Sholl
O'Brien Crouch Laird
Lynch Walker Schoenberg
McAdam Himmelberg Murphy
INT: Keays, Hately, Milera, Fogarty

Would love to see Worrell or Hamill over Kelly but think they will play it safe with prospect of facing Hawkins, Cameron and Dangerfield.

Feels they really want Milera and Jones in so guess Seedsman and Rowe will be close ones who miss out. Could easily be Fogarty if doesn't show in next two games. Frampton must have some chance of usurping Berg too.

As good as they look don't see other first year players having a chance no matter how good they play in two warm-ups.

Frampton no chance of usurping Berg.

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
I have no doubt we now have majority of the building blocks to our next top 4 side.

Defence: Borlase, Worrell, McAsey, Doedeee, Hamill, McPherson, Butts
Centre: Milera, Crouch, Pedlar, Schoenberg, Hately, Berry, Laird, Sholl, Jones, McHenry (Obrien)
Forward: Himmmelburg, Thilthorpe, Fogarty, Newchurch, Rowe, McAdam, Cook

Thats 25 on our list I think have either high level talent or are capable of still being in our next top 4 side on talent/age. We will need a competent back up ruck for ROB, a small defender to take over from Brown, a small forward to pop up and take it, and our 2021 first pick will likely be a gun mid.

If anything key defence and Darcy Fogarty are the two areas I see as needing to succeed if we are to win that elusive flag in 2025ish onwards.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
I have no doubt we now have majority of the building blocks to our next top 4 side.

Defence: Borlase, Worrell, McAsey, Doedeee, Hamill, McPherson, Butts
Centre: Milera, Crouch, Pedlar, Schoenberg, Hately, Berry, Laird, Sholl, Jones, McHenry (Obrien)
Forward: Himmmelburg, Thilthorpe, Fogarty, Newchurch, Rowe, McAdam, Cook

Thats 25 on our list I think have either high level talent or are capable of still being in our next top 4 side on talent/age. We will need a competent back up ruck for ROB, a small defender to take over from Brown, a small forward to pop up and take it, and our 2021 first pick will likely be a gun mid.

If anything key defence and Darcy Fogarty are the two areas I see as needing to succeed if we are to win that elusive flag in 2025ish onwards.
Lachy Murphy I'm sure can fill the small defender role no problem whatsoever once we're sure Rowe can get the job done....and who knows maybe Newchurch takes the bull by the horns in a year or two.

Crows I Am

Premiership Player
Jul 12, 2006
Adelaide S.A
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide
I wonder if we have tried Frampton out as a KPD this preseason to see if he could play there. He seems to be down the pecking order behind a few other up forward, and with the injuries to Talia and Doedee there is a need for another tall down back for the first few rounds at least.

Not sure if he has ever played there before, but would be worth a shot to see how he goes.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Hammill did nothing in the intraclub that fills me with confidence he would be a lock in round 1 unless he has a big game the next 2 weeks I think he misses.
Hopefully we treat the intraclub game as the drop in the ocean it is

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I'm not sold on Murphy athletically. Personally don't think he will be able to overcome that short coming.
Played well across half back for our SANFL team winning Dean Bailey Award hence we selected him as a rookie off of that.
Tested well athletically at the Vic State combine in 2016 including a quite slippery 3.03 20m.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Hopefully we treat the intraclub game as the drop in the ocean it is
Like I said in that post he would need to lift big time the next 2 weeks on his intraclub performance or are you suggesting he gets a gold pass even if his performances the next 2 trial games don't warrant selection?

Like I said in that post he would need to lift big time the next 2 weeks on his intraclub performance or are you suggesting he gets a gold pass even if his performances the next 2 trial games don't warrant selection?

If we're not allowing gold passes, then I hope that criteria gets applied to Sloane, Tex and Lynch, who have collectively done two fifths of * all since 2017.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I expect Nick's doesn't want Walker to play another game in the first 22 but he will be pressured from above until Walker is playing so badly that he can't in good conscience be played. Then they will say he has a career ending injury and expect a mid season retirement.

you sir, have surpassed even your famous standards

one for the album

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Yeah I'd put more stock in what we know of the player and what we've seen previously than who happens to do ok in these 3 weeks.

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Eg Frampton had a good game by all accounts. If he's still churning out good SANFL games by the halfway mark of the season, then I'd have a look at him. Maybe.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Yeah I'd put more stock in what we know of the player and what we've seen previously than who happens to do ok in these 3 weeks.

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Eg Frampton had a good game by all accounts. If he's still churning out good SANFL games by the halfway mark of the season, then I'd have a look at him. Maybe.
Apples and oranges.

Hamillis on the edge of the best 22. Good results in the trial games gets him in, mediocre ones probably hold him out.

Frampton is much further back and needs a longer run of good form (and similar run of bad form for a current best 22 player) to get in.

Back