Preview Round 1 v Brisbane Lions @ Flinders University Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn't the rule in AFLw that the only time-on is between goal and the ensuring resumption of play
Then normal timeon rules in the final 2 minutes?

Was originally after goals only I think, but going into the 2017GF they changed that rule I think?

Correct. Makes for quicker games, which will be good in the hotter conditions of January/February (and December when the season moves there).

Ended up being quite the dominant win. The larger ground seem to overwhelm Brisbane in the end.

One thing I noticed at the game today was the Brisbane runner was nearly full time on the ground actively coaching the Lions players. Perhaps the AFL need to bring in the mens rule for runners.

As much as Noarlunga is a much nicer venue spectator wise (especially the grassy parts), Noarlunga is too big for AFLW games. As much as Norwood is torture for those sitting in the stands, it’s the right sized oval for AFLW games.

Good to see Jones start the season in some reasonable form too

Agreed on Jones, one of the best games I've seen her play. Used her pace well, didn't give any of her normal brainfade frees, and played all over the ground.

Randall seemed very involved in the first half and then just disappeared from the play. It's not like she was being beaten, she just barely appeared on the screen. I wasn't at the ground so I couldn't see where she was. Maybe her player was leading her away from the play or something?

She still had a few opportunities to do my favourite Randall trick, the "run into the side of my player in a marking contest, sending both tumbling to the ground and then she recovers first", hahaha. It feels like it shouldn't be legal but I still get a big grin every time she does it :D

Ended up being quite the dominant win. The larger ground seem to overwhelm Brisbane in the end.

One thing I noticed at the game today was the Brisbane runner was nearly full time on the ground actively coaching the Lions players. Perhaps the AFL need to bring in the mens rule for runners.

As much as Noarlunga is a much nicer venue spectator wise (especially the grassy parts), Noarlunga is too big for AFLW games. As much as Norwood is torture for those sitting in the stands, it’s the right sized oval for AFLW games.
Brisbane lost their best player very early on, followed by another top player in the first half. Adelaide had so many turnovers, but their pressure around the ball to recover was fantastic. All credit to the work of the backline, the pressure of the midfield and Woodland for being incredibly accurate.

Couldn't see the game. Did we manage to string any possessions together? Brisbane's ball use killed us in the GF.

There were some good passages of play but it was mostly a scrapfest. Don't get me wrong, it was still an entertaining game. Very different game to the GF in that we were able to prevent Brisbane from getting easy chains of possession as well.

We also didn't fall into the "bomb it long to a loose Brisbane defender" trap, but them losing Lutkins in the first few minutes probably helped that significantly. But at the very least it looked like we were trying to use handball to get into better positions rather than just blindly bombing it.

Edit: If you're keen to watch the best bits, there is an extended highlights package (around 10 minutes) they're calling a "mini-match" on the AFLW website.

https://www.womens.afl/video/79284/aflw-mini-match-adelaide-v-brisbane

Is this a new thing? I hadn't noticed it before but they've done it for each of the matches this weekend.

In the highlights package, there was a great tackle by Teah Charlton, only for Marinoff to pick up the ball and play on immediately. No one within handballing or kicking distance is open, so she kicks it to a nearby 1 on 1, which is a terrible option and gets shoved on the kick. The ball barely goes 10m and she ends up chasing the ball down herself. I just thought, what was the point of that? I think the Crows are excellent at tackling, contested work and applying pressure, but still need to work on their kicking efficiency, handballing and ball movement.

In the highlights package, there was a great tackle by Teah Charlton, only for Marinoff to pick up the ball and play on immediately. No one within handballing or kicking distance is open, so she kicks it to a nearby 1 on 1, which is a terrible option and gets shoved on the kick. The ball barely goes 10m and she ends up chasing the ball down herself. I just thought, what was the point of that? I think the Crows are excellent at tackling, contested work and applying pressure, but still need to work on their kicking efficiency, handballing and ball movement.

Yeah, Marinoff should probably have checked to see if there was an option before taking the advantage. The Crows have a general "play on at all costs" kind of gameplan which sometimes works to their advantage, but other times just leads to wasted opportunities like that.

The main skill I always yearn for when watching our women play (and honestly, the men too) is kicking to a player's advantage. As much as I love Randall and Phillips, there were a few cases today where they took a great mark, but then kicked it directly to an opposition defender, or to the disadvantage of our own player. I understand that happening in general play, but not from a mark when you've got time to assess your options. If there's nothing good on then at least bomb it long. When even the best players in your team are doing it...

I watched a few games of AFLW this weekend...and I don't know whether I have bias here but...

A lot of games I watch are like mini league and I am not meaning to be an arse but the Crows game...and the Lions had some good plays in it as well but Doc has some method to the games and some structure. I mean, skills aren't always going to work ( and that is the same in AFL) but sometimes I think coaches of the other teams are taking the easy way out and just getting people near the ball instead of structure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gawd the barracking for Brisbane in the commentary box is a bit much!

This has been the problem with the AFLW. This is where the AFL have let fans down. They are providing the women and their fans with cheap second rate access to the games. The commentary has always been biased, wait till we play anyone from Victoria. And then don't get me started on the 4th rate umpiring that would look terrible in a a c grade u15 blind welfare league match.

Thats Marinoffs MO unfortunately. She is an accumulator of possession but between her and Hatchard, they are the turn over queens through wasted possessions.

What happened to Jasmine Symmons, thought she was supposed to play. I coached the boys U14's when she was playing 13's and she was incredible. Probably in the best 3 out of the entire squad, and some of those boys went on to bigger things. Run like the wind and marked everything and was about 6 inches shorter than she is now.

Thats Marinoffs MO unfortunately. She is an accumulator of possession but between her and Hatchard, they are the turn over queens through wasted possessions.
Both have improved enormously in my opinion. Yes Eb does the kick and hope at times, but she has improved out of sight these last two seasons. Hatchard was our best by a country mile today.

What happened to Jasmine Symmons, thought she was supposed to play. I coached the boys U14's when she was playing 13's and she was incredible. Probably in the best 3 out of the entire squad, and some of those boys went on to bigger things. Run like the wind and marked everything and was about 6 inches shorter than she is now.
She played.

That's pretty good for Marinoff (to kick to a 1v1), a lot of her kicks go straight to an opposition player.

I did notice we had more chains of possession than we have had in the past. Marks around the ground are incredibly important in the women's game and the more we can continue the kick to a mark the better for it we'll be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back