Game Day Round 1 v Bulldogs, Saturday 18 March, 7:25pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Bloody Good win. Didn't expect to do this so easily, especially with our outs.
It was a grinding 50 point win, it wasn't as if we were piling them on we just completely shut them down in the second half while slowly increasing the gap. We probably could have put them away earlier in the last when the ball lived in our forward line.

Pickett is so cooked with all the concussion law suit stuff going on. 2 weeks would be a fair result and anything more will be reaction to context.

They seem to think better chance for 1 week than 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah no damage done just looked worse than it was
On the slowmos you see the brunt of the contact was shoulder to shoulder, and the back of Kozz goes into Smith's chin. Looks bad, and as KLTH says the context at the moment would be very conservative against anything that risks concussion. Could be the scapegoat here because flying at blokes like that does carry risks the AFL doesn't want to wear.

It does set a huge precedence though if it’s proven he didn’t actually get him in the head, and it’s solely for the action.
They either have to punish all dangerous action regardless of outcome, or none (I’m for punishing all)
Punishing on action is stupid, if that's the case then literally ban the bump because every single bit of contact has the potential to hurt. Can't punish someone who executes something legally because a bunch of guys who are broke now want free money from the AFL

Looking at it more, and as silly as it sounds, Smith's hair flying back certainly adds a bit to the optics.
They didn't even do a concussion check on smith, I'm almost certain it didn't hit him in the head.

Good on him for being a tough campaigner, could have added mayo to it and made sure Pickett got a month

Don't understand why people don't aim for the ribs if they wanna do that, go lower and you could break his ribs and really hurt him. What's the point of the upper chest
I think Kozzie was aiming for his ribs but just missed. It’s just coming up from that angle means a fine line between contact under the ribs or missing and catching the head.

Game is so quick, these hits could br a fraction earlier and he might of be fine, a fraction late could have done more damage.
I'm saying aim for just above the waist, you can actually hurt them more going lower than hitting them in the upper chest

Could be something in it, I'm no boxing expert but my understanding is that it's better to get body blows. Not sure I would want 80kg of pickett cannoning into my ribs.
Actually in boxing the technique is high or low, either to the head or beneath the rib cage because a liver shot can shut down the body the same as a KO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back