Game Day Round 1 v Gold Coast, It's The Hope That Is Great!

Where will West Coast finish this year?

• 1st

• 2nd

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was the official crowd number today???

Stupid decision to schedule the game at 440 reckon the crowd numbers are going to drop especially with covid and with us struggling

already crowd numbers down overeast with there games....AFL is going to lose a lot of money with scheduling and a weak west coast

Yes and they were exciting. But for the most part went Straight back to short slow play, kicking to our risk free hot spots down the boundary. The only time we went through the middle it was driven by Willie, SPS, Naish, JJ.
Our problem is the ball is in the hands of Redden, Gaff, Hurn etc and they won’t take the game on.
It’ll be a lot better when Willie, Jones and SPS aren’t also the entire starting midfield. If there’s fitter blokes around and those 3 plus Ryan are playing as forwards or on the wing then the ball movement is going to go though the roof

Stupid decision to schedule the game at 440 reckon the crowd numbers are going to drop especially with covid and with us struggling

already crowd numbers down overeast with there games....AFL is going to lose a lot of money with scheduling and a weak west coast

Just under 21k

We ain't making finals so Hurn ( champion Eagle ) might not carry the torch and allow a New Breed to organise the backline .....

I thought O'Neil, SPS , Foley , Hough , Dixon , Petruccelle could keep spots but wait and see .

Ok so today we need the best footy from - Kennedy, Hurn, Gaff, Naitanui, Redden, McGovern, Barrass, Rotham - All ‘First Ballot’ best 22 players. The ones that let us down here are basically unforgivable.

Then you’d say we need good games from Waterman, Jones, Nelson, Petrucelle, Foley, Edwards, Williams, O’Neill and Langdon. A motley crew indeed but this is their time to shine. We can’t carry these guys like we often do - that’s for the next rung down - drop the ones that do nothing.

The rest are all a bonus this week (we’ll let SPS find his feet and Willie shake the rust off for a game). At least 4-5 of them will probably do nothing and we might jag a few good moments from the others.

Christ. 😅

Let’s review my pre-game pearls of wisdom…

The vets (and Rotham) - you’d say everyone bar Naitanui and maybe Kennedy get a pass at worst. I think Redden, Gaff and Gov were the best of them, some being a bit harsh on Gov. Really hope Naitanui can bounce back but with Goldstein up next….he could get a bath. Concerning. Has the big man already packed his bags for his ‘Flag Chase’ elsewhere next season?…

The motley crew - as expected, some hits (Jones, Foley, Petrucelle) - some misses (Waterman, Williams). I’d drop Waterman next week for Ryan. Williams…eh…we definitely cut Vardy right?

The bonus bunch - Rioli good once he got rolling, SPS with some moments. They both need to be better again next week as they’ll join the motley crew. The rookies/top ups/WAFL filler Eagles etc…nothing that got me excited really, but I guess it’s tough to carry so many undercooked players in one team. Would be good to get a look at Hough in better circumstances.

All in all, I liked the desire (sans Nic Nat, someone check that man for Covids).

S&C need the injured players in hyperbaric chambers turned up to 11, 24/7, for the next few weeks, because that’s the worst team we’ve put out in over 10 years. Ooft.

Jones looked good.

JK is still class. Chases, takles, spoils and still kicks goals. Gem.

Gaff played well.

Rioli is bloody skilled.

Rotham has the speed an body shape that makes me think he should be excellent. He hasn’t reached that yet.

Nic Nat is an injury waiting to happen which would be sad. He is very heavy. I’m not sure what has happened with him but it is sad to see. I don’t know how the team can function with him playing so little game time.

You get a couple back next week. Hopefully not too many by the time we play you!

Jones looked good.

JK is still class. Chases, takles, spoils and still kicks goals. Gem.

Gaff played well.

Rioli is bloody skilled.

Rotham has the speed an body shape that makes me think he should be excellent. He hasn’t reached that yet.

Nic Nat is an injury waiting to happen which would be sad. He is very heavy. I’m not sure what has happened with him but it is sad to see. I don’t know how the team can function with him playing so little game time.

You get a couple back next week. Hopefully not too many by the time we play you!

it beggars belief Nic Nat hasn’t dropped 10kg for about the 3rd yr in a row.

it beggars belief Nic Nat hasn’t dropped 10kg for about the 3rd yr in a row.

Considering he has been an All Australian and Club Best and Fairest in each of the last two years, maybe just maybe he is doing something right 🤷‍♂️

He is now 32 years old… We clearly need a succession plan in place, but this obsession with his weight is just bizarre.

Considering he has been an All Australian and Club Best and Fairest in each of the last two years, maybe just maybe he is doing something right 🤷‍♂️

He is now 32 years old… We clearly need a succession plan in place, but this obsession with his weight is just bizarre.

and how much better would he be if he was a lil lighter and fitter?

could probably play more game time, anyone who can’t concede the game time issue with Nic Nat is just bizarre

Love the melts around this place.

We put out a team of WAFL top-ups and were within a kick of the lead with under 10 minutes to go.

Aside from Redden and Gaff, none of those that were involved in the midfield tonight had actually played any midfield minutes at senior level last year.

Rioli, Petrevski-Seton, Jones, Naish and O'Neill combined for just 11 matches in total after the bye in 2021.

Of course the team was going to run out of legs - I was expecting for it to occur during the first quarter - that the team was able to remain competitive far longer than that with the squad that was fielded, I take as a considerable positive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love the melts around this place.

We put out a team of WAFL top-ups and were within a kick of the lead with under 10 minutes to go.

Aside from Redden and Gaff, none of those that were involved in the midfield tonight had actually played any midfield minutes at senior level last year.

Rioli, Petrevski-Seton, Jones, Naish and O'Neill combined for just 11 matches in total after the bye in 2021.

Of course the team was going to run out of legs - I was expecting for it to occur during the first quarter - that the team was able to remain competitive far longer than that with the squad that was fielded, I take as a considerable positive.
The saddest part is thinking on how the last couple of years may have panned out if the side brought that effort consistently.

The group should hold their heads high after this afternoon. They had a crack.

AFL deserve it. I hope AFL lose millions as it it's a fair league at the moment and lots of dodgy stuff happening in the background. I think here over WA we are all pretty sick of the AFLs ways and all the poor clubs over there getting huge advantages against us to the point where we are starting to actually lose interest in the sport all together. It's bringing down a successful financially stable club. One of the few they have because of all these poor clubs in Vic NSW which they can't afford to substain. So they script games with poorly officated umps to suit the narrative of this just so they can rise and gain more supporters. GC game last night was a disgraceful cheating mess. Time we all said FU AFL. Go rot in the mess you made.

Last edited:
and how much better would he be if he was a lil lighter and fitter?

could probably play more game time, anyone who can’t concede the game time issue with Nic Nat is just bizarre

The first qtr in particular was some of the most exciting footy we've played for 2-3 years.

Agree we were always going to run out of puff given the intensity we played with in the first qtr and the amount of kids and guys who haven't had full preseasons there.

But this insistence on going so tall doesn't help things. NN and Williams both played 66% and 56% TOG respectively. In comparison Witts and Chol had 77% and 83% respectively.

It's definitely an issue.

Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back