Preview Round 1 V GWS (Great Waste Space)

Remove this Banner Ad

How many of those blokes do you think would be playing round 1 if not injured? I'd guess of those listed Griffen, Deledio and Hopper wouldn't be definite starters, the others would be though? Even still 5 or 6 missing from your best 22 at this time of year is pretty horrid.

Is Lobb a definite non-starter?
Adam Curley (reliable) stated he’ll play a couple of games in neafl.

How come Young's name hasn't been thrown up? I know he didn't play in the JLT and had a shocker last time against the Giants but played the back half of last season. With Adams, Morris and Wood not in defence who else is in a position to play as that second tall? (Naughton, Young, Cordy) don't get me wrong it's not the best on paper but as a defensive unit they are the best we have atm, presuming Trengove plays forward.

How come Young's name hasn't been thrown up? I know he didn't play in the JLT and had a shocker last time against the Giants but played the back half of last season. With Adams, Morris and Wood not in defence who else is in a position to play as that second tall? (Naughton, Young, Cordy) don't get me wrong it's not the best on paper but as a defensive unit they are the best we have atm, presuming Trengove plays forward.
No offence, but i hope this isn't the MC / Coaches line of thinking. We should not be playing Young in the backline while we have both Wood and Trengove available and in the team. One of these should shift back (i'd prefer both did) to cover for Morris and Adams.

I've been a bit surprised by Young's non-appearance this pre-season. I haven't heard much about him. It might suggest he has had an injury at some point and is being managed. It would seem odd for him to have just dropped out of favour so dramatically otherwise. I know he also struggled a little after his first few games, but to not play AFLX or JLT would make you hope it is a minor injury over just bad form.

No offence, but i hope this isn't the MC / Coaches line of thinking. We should not be playing Young in the backline while we have both Wood and Trengove available and in the team. One of these should shift back (i'd prefer both did) to cover for Morris and Adams.
Oh don't get me wrong I 100% agree with you, but I just get the feeling Bevo is going to be a bit stubborn on the Wood and Trengove forward call

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i wonder if we didnt win the 2016 flag , would bevos selections and tactics be different??
That's an interesting question, my view is that we moved on from "our" 2016 style of play too quick. I know the premiers become the hunted and must alter there ways some how to remain the best. It will be interesting to see how Richmond go this year with their game plan and the use of 1 key forward again

10-20mm of rain forecast for Canberra on Sunday. We might get away with Cordy and Naughton down back. Not many wet weather games I can remember us playing recently but the conditions could help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10-20mm of rain forecast for Canberra on Sunday. We might get away with Cordy and Naughton down back. Not many wet weather games I can remember us playing recently but the conditions could help.

Praise the lord.

The last time Wood was up forward in a wet game

930343-8728ae7c-f09e-11e4-8640-5412dd2d4115.jpg

So we can go small and maybe get away with it!!!!! Honeychurch and Clay Smith possibly into consideration and less requirement for tall backs.

View attachment 471802

That 4 weeks 8 weeks? Who knows...

Schache plays no matter what with all these injuries/players underdone, throw him in the deep end.

Redpath will be a handy round two inclusion though
I know its futile, but I still think Redpath should be eligible this week given his suspension only still stands due to 2017 MRP rules (1 week loading due to bad record plus penalty for challenging at the tribunal, which are both now removed), not 2018 rules.

"GWS punish mistakes relentlessly". Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!! Yer, they are an unstoppable force. Proven by their last two finals series. The dogs will win this easily.
Yes and i will have plenty of beer at home to last me beyond half time time which is better than at shitty Spotless stadium!

My fear for this game is the team dominates the midfield but the Giants take it forward and score with ease as Patton rag dolls Cordy and Naughton with the backline a mess, as Trengove and Wood sit in the forward line.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Don't underestimate Cordy he can hold his own (watch the last Qtr vs Bombers last year where he beat Daniher in one on one contests) but he cant do that if the ball is coming down constantly and at pace. Its all about our pressure in the midfield so long as we get that back to the 2016 heights then we will win.

Not sure at present if we have the cattle to stand up when its needed. Our list is more than capable but from what Ive seen so far from our forward line is of concern.

Whilst the defensive line will be there, will we have enough fire power to kick goals?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back