Preview Round 1 v GWS Saturday March 19 @ 5:10 pm at Olympic Park -Lifeline Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

In my humble opinion, GWS were created with the primary aim of cutting the Swans down to size. So yeah, every win against this mob is a timely FU to the VFL establishment.
yeah look the fact they were also created to have every chance to win a flag in their first 10 years and had 2 golden years to win to do that and couldn't, is a big FU to the AFL

In my humble opinion, GWS were created with the primary aim of cutting the Swans down to size. So yeah, every win against this mob is a timely FU to the VFL establishment.
Nah. Pure marketing $. They'd gotten every possible $ out of the legacy states and so they turned to the Rugby states with Fitzroy and South Melbourne. Both had some success as single city teams, having won premierships in their new homes so the VFL said to themselves "those markets are big enough to support two teams each, like Adelaide and Perth". Technically true perhaps but neither GWS nor GC have really developed a strong following. Might be a lesson there somewhere.
Doubt that Swans or Lions figured heavily in their thinking, Just more games for TV screens and hopefully converts from the Rugby codes. All about the $.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that AFL.com mentions all other debutants in it's team spiel, except Sheldrick.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Interesting now Voss and Martin have covid, AFL covers the story, but not a mention of any of the swans players.
Interesting in Hardwicks post match press conference, he couldn't remember the former Swans name

V stands for Victoria. It is as it always has been.. the VFL
Sydney Swans v Brisbane Lions in the granny

Edit - just saw this one from GU Horace.. 'Why the Saints and Pies get a Friday night is a mystery. First three games of the Season and 6 Melbourne teams involved.'

Interesting in Hardwicks post match press conference, he couldn't remember the former Swans name

V stands for Victoria. It is as it always has been.. the VFL
Sydney Swans v Brisbane Lions in the granny

Edit - just saw this one from GU Horace.. 'Why the Saints and Pies get a Friday night is a mystery. First three games of the Season and 6 Melbourne teams involved.'
And yet the telecast of any grand final featuring us goes straight into the top half a dozen viewing figures of all time.

Couple of areas I'll be watching for improvement on this year. Bit innocuos, but things I've noticed watching us the past couple years.

1. High tackles - we give away way too many careless head high tackles which result in giving away momentum when things are heated. If there was a stat for it I rekn we'd be well ontop at no 1.

2. Unecessary freekicks given away during marking contests. Lost count of the amount of times we scrag at a marking contest in our defensive half and give away easy freekicks 60 out from our goal. 9/10 times it'll hit the deck anyway so whats the point. Ramps is the only one who can successfully disguise it. We did it more than ever against North so not a good sign. Umps are even more strict on it this year so need to relax a bit.

3. Easy snap goals against from throw ins. Last year 9 out of 10 defensive 50 throw ins resulted in an easy snap goals. Did my head in. Has been a trend since the 2016 granny. Need to set up better in those situations

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back