Preview Round 1 v GWS Saturday March 19 @ 5:10 pm at Olympic Park -Lifeline Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I really thought they'd turned this disgusting place into a rectangular field. I thought we were playing at Giants stadium, Olympic Park. Just saying Olympic Park does not identify the ground. There are many sporting facilities there. If you said old ANZ Stadium then I would have been aware.

This is terrible, we hardly ever won on this dreadful surface. It will be downright dangerous as usual. Once I remember playing there after they had some Motorcross event. The sand was still on the ground and players were slipping and sliding all ocer the place. The Astro-Turf at the side is a nightmare for players. They leave the real surface and suddenly they are ice skating.

Why not play this at a different time of year. GWS play first 2 games away then play at home. We play first at home. Bud kicks 10 and gets 1,005.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wont be because of the ground it will be cause we have lost more experience when we should be of been strengthening that area.

We went about it the right way. End of the day we picked up quality. Apart from Judas we haven’t lost anyone we can’t replace

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Not sure where else we were going to play as both the SCG and Giants Stadium are unavailable Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

SCG is showing as available on their own site for the entire weekend and so is Giants Stadium. NRL is being played the SCG the weekend before and not again until April 19.

Yeah. Giants lose their home ground for about 4 weeks or more due to the Easter Show.

Giants requested to play one or two games at the Showgrounds before they vacated the venue for the Easter Show. AFL saw dollar signs and ignored requests from both clubs on this one

SCG is showing as available on their own site for the entire weekend and so is Giants Stadium. NRL is being played the SCG the weekend before and not again until April 19.

Giants requested to play one or two games at the Showgrounds before they vacated the venue for the Easter Show. AFL saw dollar signs and ignored requests from both clubs on this one
Wow, who'd have thought 🤔

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
If our players care as much about when and where Buddy's 1,000th goal is kicked then we'll be lucky to win two games next year.

Let's face it, this isn't our milestone to celebrate. He kicked the majority of his goals for a different club. And he could kick his 1,000th with any two random teams playing and the result would still be the same - fans of all preferences storming the field. It'll be a great moment for the sport and i'm bloody glad that if he does it, he'll be doing it in our colours. But let's not pretend like we as Swans fans have the rights to this moment when if it happened and we ended up losing the game anyway, Buddy's achievement that we're all so desperate to be a part of would fall to the wayside as we go back to our routine complaints about Florent's kicking, Heeney not doing enough and Melican having a bag kicked on him.

Just hope he does it - the circumstances won't change the moment or the significance of the achievement.
Great mature post caesar88
maxresdefault.jpg

Unless a contested ball winning in trenches it won’t be a fortress
I get what you're saying, but it was a fortress in '14, and that was fast attacking football, and in 15 and 16 too!

I think we'll get steadily harder to beat at home or away... it won't be the size or the shape of the ground that matters!

the hypnotoad

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
I really thought they'd turned this disgusting place into a rectangular field. I thought we were playing at Giants stadium, Olympic Park. Just saying Olympic Park does not identify the ground. There are many sporting facilities there. If you said old ANZ Stadium then I would have been aware.

This is terrible, we hardly ever won on this dreadful surface. It will be downright dangerous as usual. Once I remember playing there after they had some Motorcross event. The sand was still on the ground and players were slipping and sliding all ocer the place. The Astro-Turf at the side is a nightmare for players. They leave the real surface and suddenly they are ice skating.

Why not play this at a different time of year. GWS play first 2 games away then play at home. We play first at home. Bud kicks 10 and gets 1,005.

better than playing there during a motocross event

mcs095

All Australian
Sep 12, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I get what you're saying, but it was a fortress in '14, and that was fast attacking football, and in 15 and 16 too!

I think we'll get steadily harder to beat at home or away... it won't be the size or the shape of the ground that matters!

My take as well. We've shown already we play a variety of shaped grounds pretty well when we play well.

People still overblow the impact of the SCG size - its nowhere near the disparity it once was compared to the MCG lengthwise (just a few metres now) and width largely the same. While once I saw it as a major factor, now I don't think it is much of a factor at all.

I think our drop off in form there in recent years reflect the drop off in the team's overall performance, nothing more than that. And if we continue to improve like we did this year, then the home record will come with it.

My take as well. We've shown already we play a variety of shaped grounds pretty well when we play well.

People still overblow the impact of the SCG size - its nowhere near the disparity it once was compared to the MCG lengthwise (just a few metres now) and width largely the same. While once I saw it as a major factor, now I don't think it is much of a factor at all.

I think our drop off in form there in recent years reflect the drop off in the team's overall performance, nothing more than that. And if we continue to improve like we did this year, then the home record will come with it.
Yes, I agree entirely!

We've had a lack of depth over the last few years (imo due to finishing to high on the ladder in '12, '13, '14, '15, & '16 (and the trade ban didn't help!)) which saw us fall out of the 8, and be not quite good enough to cover for injury... nothing to do with the size or shape of the ground.

But we're well and truly on the upswing now! :)

What a load of codswallop!
Firstly we have won more games there than we lost - 32 wins to 23 losses.
Secondly it is no more dangerous than any other natural surface.
Thirdly I'm thrilled to be playing a Toby Green-less GWS away from their home ground, something that would not occur if the game was played later in the year.

While it is very much designed to get $ in the pocket of the AFL, it's a pretty smart plan in my book and optimises the chances of more members to be there to witness the big event, providing of course that Gil and co follow up with a home game as expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back