Remove this Banner Ad

May 12, 2006
Lal Lal
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Elsternwick AFC
May as well get it started.

No optimism from me - we didn't kick a score at any stage in the pre-season.

On the other hand, Port Adelaide went pretty well in the pre-season.

Here's my suggested Round 1 side:

Dempster Blake Simpkin
Gilbert Fisher Cripps
Dal Santo Goddard Montagna
Siposs Riewoldt Schneider
Saad Koschitzke Milne
McEvoy Hayes Steven
Stanley Armitage Ledger Geary
Jones Ray Peake

Id hate to be on selection committee next week, will have horrible time trying to fit about 26-27 players into 22..

B: Dempster, Simpkin, Cripps
HB: Gilbert, Fisher, Peake
C: Montagna, Hayes, Goddard
HF: Schneider, Riewoldt, Steven
F: Saad, Kosi, Milne
R: McEvoy, Dal Santo, Jones

INT: Stanley, Ledger, Armitage
SUB: Geary/Ray

EMG: Geary/Ray, Wilkes, Siposs

So basically Cripps, Ledger, Simpkin, Stanley, Saad all come into the side to replace Gram, Blake, Clarke, Dawson & one other i cant think off at moment!

If Siposs doesn't play I'm going to be one very unhappy St Kilda supporter, at AAMI Stadium with my mother, my (Collingwood supporting) wife and nine-month-old son, cursing a continued inability to score or play guys who can kick goals, and like to attack the goals rather than pass to someone who may possibly be in a slightly better position.

If Siposs doesn't play I'm going to be one very unhappy St Kilda supporter, at AAMI Stadium with my mother, my (Collingwood supporting) wife and nine-month-old son, cursing a continued inability to score or play guys who can kick goals, and like to attack the goals rather than pass to someone who may possibly be in a slightly better position.

To me it comes down to Stanley vs Saad vs Siposs and the way we have structured up so far it seems like Stanley is going to be given first crack. Especially as he seems to be used as 2nd ruckman lately. Also Saad was rested and managed during NAB Cup with eye on Round 1, so to me seems he will also play.

Do we really need another medium sized forward?

I think that would be Polo. Very much a forgotten man.

:thumbsu::thumbsu: thats the one. Although gotta say he wouldnt be far off taking Armitage's spot with his pretty average preseason so far.

Other than the zero we usually play?

Schneider, Milne and Saad are not mid-sized: they're small forwards. Considering Schneider plays up the ground as more of a midfielder, it'll be Milne and Saad, and Riewoldt, Kosi and Siposs with Stanley to rotate with these three and Ben McEvoy.

I'm not downplaying Stanley, who I have been disappointed with but am happy to go with reports that he was among the best on Friday versus Collingwood.

But Siposs must play. He fills a long time need for St Kilda, and he's actually very good at fulfilling that need, as a third forward who can play taller and smaller, rather than one or the other.

Dempster Blake Simpkin
Gilbert Fisher Cripps
Saad Koschitzke Milne
McEvoy Hayes Steven
Jones Ray Peake

Can't really argue with that squad. I really think we need Blake to play to help bolster our defence. We lack size and strength without him and would mean that Fisher would probably need to play as a key defender on one of their tall forwards rather than playing the loose man, running off half back role he does so well.

I'd be surprised and disappointed if any of Ledger, Siposs, Stanley and Cripps weren't in the 22 for Rd.1. Saad should be a good chance of playing too and Milera might even be an outside chance since he's from Adelaide and has shown some good form in the pre-season.

Other than the zero we usually play?

Schneider, Milne and Saad are not mid-sized: they're small forwards. Considering Schneider plays up the ground as more of a midfielder, it'll be Milne and Saad, and Riewoldt, Kosi and Siposs with Stanley to rotate with these three and Ben McEvoy.

I'm not downplaying Stanley, who I have been disappointed with but am happy to go with reports that he was among the best on Friday versus Collingwood.

But Siposs must play. He fills a long time need for St Kilda, and he's actually very good at fulfilling that need, as a third forward who can play taller and smaller, rather than one or the other.
Agree. I'd play Siposs as he's been one of our best up forward so far this year and is about the only one that is "medium" sized. Can also move onto the wing to good effect. :thumbsu:

To me it comes down to Stanley vs Saad vs Siposs and the way we have structured up so far it seems like Stanley is going to be given first crack. Especially as he seems to be used as 2nd ruckman lately. Also Saad was rested and managed during NAB Cup with eye on Round 1, so to me seems he will also play.

Stanley has to play, if there's one team in the AFL we're a chance of competing with and getting on top of in the ruck it's Port.

agree with that, we've been horrible, here's to hoping a flick can be switched.

and will definitely be up and about

Dempster Blake Simpkin
Gilbert Fisher Cripps
Saad Koschitzke Milne
McEvoy Hayes Steven
Jones Ray Peake

Looks good to me, the backline is shockingly undersized though against Butcher Westhoff and Schulz

& I reckon Milera is a sniff on home turf.

Is Raph a chance?

I think if he was right to play, Scott may play him.

I think Saints will win easily.

Ugh... I was so looking forward to the year before the pre-season comp.

Stanley deserves to play off the bench. Sippos should be in the forward line. Saad should be in there. Ledger needs to be in there, to help in the guts. I wait with bated breath to see what the hell happens with CJ - anybody's guess: been one of our best at getting the ball, but one of our worst at getting rid of it.

For mine, I so, so, so want Armitage out - he is this year's Kosi: after years of excuses, and feeling he was being unfairly treated by the coach, I am now starting to realise Lyon thought he was a dud, and may well have been right. Really want Geary in.

Think Simpkin should play, but like Blake's height, strength, and versatility in there, too.

Would hate to see Peakey and/or Faz still out, but wouldn't be surprised if they are. Milera then would be a chance.

I live here. This is the one chance I'll get to see us play here this year (will be in Israel when we play the Crows, thank God). And I am very, very close to not going. Just too painful to see us lose to Port at AAMI. You get such abuse from the Port supporters, all five of them.

Not sure about Armo.

We are expecting him to shine in a midfield that even the big names are struggling to get a read on hitouts and win their fair share contested ball at the moment.

When Ben rucks, he has been struggling to win a significant amount, it must make it harder for the mids.

Armo will have to learn to read the opposing ruckman, which may come easier to guys who have been at it a lot longer.

I agree that I'd like to see Geary in though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think after years of being left to flounder at half forward Armo deserves a crack in the middle. It's where he should've been from the start and to be honest his development under Ross Lyon has been nothing short of terrible.

The one kid I wonder about is Cripps. I love him, tipped us into him before the draft that year, and he is best suited to play off half back as he is probably in the top 5 kicks at the club. Is he really that certain to start though? I didn't really notice him that much during the NAB Cup (Although it was hard to notice anyone with the new gameplan) and with Gram, Ray, Peake, Jones, Clarke, Geary, and Milera all fighting for spots I can see Cripps being pushed aside in the short term. Not to mention the new draftees who all look set to get a chance in 2012.

Dempster - Blake/Simpkin - Gilbert
Goddard - Fisher - ?????
Dal - Hayes - Joey
Schneider - Roo - Sippos
Milne - Stanley - Saad
McEvoy - Armo - Steven
Kosi - Ledger - ????
???

So hard to tell who's got the last couple of spots locked in because outside of Stanley, no-one seems to be jumping up and down demanding selection.

I'm making the drive, Percy, and if my memory serves me correctly, I owe you an ale.

So you'd better be going!

BTW, LDP, Gram is injured and unavailable for selection.

Dempster Blake Simpkin
Gilbert Fisher Cripps
Saad Koschitzke Milne
McEvoy Hayes Steven
Jones Ray Peake

I pretty much agree with this except, based on form I think I'd start Geary and have Cripps reprise his super sub role.
I'm also not completely sold on the three shorts ( Schnieder/Milne/Saad ), maybe Jones should come in and tag Boak.

Pretty happy to have Stanley in the side since I'd like to see how he goes rucking against Redden.

Not at all encouraged by our preseason form. I take less out of it than most but most of the time we seemed to either attack in a straight line or kick it within an inch of the boundary line. I don't see us as a chance for the top 4 like some do around here, I see us still making the finals and using the experience the young guys get this year to push for top 4 next year.

Port Adelaide are so deplorable that I think we still win this by about.. 30 points.

I'm making the drive, Percy, and if my memory serves me correctly, I owe you an ale.

So you'd better be going!

BTW, LDP, Gram is injured and unavailable for selection.
You're on! :D

Just went to check out the Port forum to see what they were saying about this game, whether they were optimistic...

... no thread there yet. ???

Not at all encouraged by our preseason form. I take less out of it than most but most of the time we seemed to either attack in a straight line or kick it within an inch of the boundary line. I don't see us as a chance for the top 4 like some do around here, I see us still making the finals and using the experience the young guys get this year to push for top 4 next year.

Port Adelaide are so deplorable that I think we still win this by about.. 30 points.

I thought port adelaide had a much better preseason then us? if so ,why are they deplorable?

Just went to check out the Port forum to see what they were saying about this game, whether they were optimistic...

... no thread there yet. ???

We usually try and wait for Macca to write his review, it's still a week and half away.

I think you'll find alot of Port supporters still respect St Kilda's form from season past and disrespect our own. Saying that, alot of us have seen great improvement in the pre season, I for one am very bullish especially with our odds and comparing both pre season form, not to mention you guys adjusting to a new coach.

Good luck getting the result you want and well done to those driving over.

Thanks for the good wishes, but don't be offended when I inform you that I'll be leaving my Victorian plated and St Kilda stickered car at the hotel.

I reckon you guys are in with a strong chance. I think you guys obviously have a lot to work on, but heck, so do we. How seriously do you think we should take your fine form against the Dees?

Thanks for the good wishes, but don't be offended when I inform you that I'll be leaving my Victorian plated and St Kilda stickered car at the hotel.
Very, very prudent, Punter.

Last week I was off the wagon, and all over the Power. (BTW they are offering juicy odds for any one that wants to bet against the Saints)

However, whilst at home this morning, I happened to catch the 08 SF v the 'Pies. Man what a game. The boys reminded me what they are capable of and I have jumped back on.

Win this one well and get some confidence - we could easily be 5 and zip.

Is it too early to call it season defining?:cool::D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back