HF Bradley Hill, Matt Taberner, Hayden Ballantyne
F Michael Walters, Cam McCarthy, Brandon Matera
Fol Aaron Sandilands, Nat Fyfe, David Mundy
I/C Shane Kersten, Lachie Neale, Andrew Brayshaw, Bailey Banfield

How to watch it:
In Perth: 7mate live @2pm WST or Fox Footy @1.30pm WST
Rest of Australia: Fox Footy live

Gonna win!

Port by about 30odd would be my guess. Hope our lads take the game on and don't go into defensive turtle mode when Port come hard.

Can't see us winning this but want to see some good ball use from half back!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon have upset Adelaide and there isn’t any reason why we can’t upset port. It will come down to Fyfes and the rest of the guys efforts are and how our forward line goes. Tabs needs to stand up and kick a bag. We can match port in the middle with Sandis dominance.Will be interesting to see if brayshaw does a tagging job. Need Wilson and Ryan rebounding out of defense with a few bounces. Can’t wait to see how Banfield and brayshaw do in their first crack at the real stuff. Expecting a good game. Go Freo!!!!

I just want to see us compete and give it everything. If Ryan and Wilson can rebound well, our forwards/mids apply huge pressure and Fyfe/Sandi go beast mode we may just get close.

Head says Port by 40
Heart says Freo by 8

4C733264-DEA5-463C-9850-BC3F58B16E02.jpeg On my way to the game, returning to the scene of the murder - 89 stabs to be exact!

It’s a warm but blustery day over in Radelaide, with some cloud but mostly blue skies. Should be a cracker day at the footy.

It’s early, but I’ve only seen one other person walking on the street wearing Freo colours apart from me. :moustache:

Realistically would be happy with a competitive effort, 4-5 goal loss.

However, having looked at the Port board, let’s ******* beat them. Freo by 13

I wonder if Hamling would be playing today if he hadn't missed a pre-season game for the wedding he went to.

If the strategy is to go smaller in defence and have more rebound out of D50 and rely on defensive pressure around the ground to affect the quality of the opposition entries then I can accept it from the point of view that we're putting something up as game plan and taking a tactical RISK.

When the opposition is winning all over the ground, there's usually nothing a defence can do - even if you have McPharlin, Tarrant and Johnson at their peak back there.

I'm in two minds on whether having talls is an advantage or a disadvantage late in a game when players are tired. Round 1, players will tire, skill level drops off and delivery to forwards is less effective but there's old saying about tall players not getting any shorter as the game progresses - so you always have a marking target to kick to. It did seem to help Essendon last night against Adelaide - even with their wayward conversion.

We'll probably get some good patches where we're completely on top with contested possession but my doubt is that we'll get enough bang for our buck on the scoreboard when we dominate inside 50's. We're still susceptible to giving up the ball when pressured (and I don't think D Pearce and Sutcliffe help in that regard) and despite our work rate, its usually too much hard work for low reward when we rely on the weight of numbers/ repeat pressure - plus I fear some missed opportunities because of our inexperienced forward line and the away venue/hostile crowd factor.

Also don't think we encountered much pressure on the ball carrier in those two games against WC, but the 2nd quarter vs Adelaide in JLT 1 is a reminder of how frustrating things look when nothing works. Expect we'll have some of that 2nd quarter effort repeated today, and it will more of a challenge for our players to get through and come back and play positively than it was in the pre-season.

Backing Port to win because their forward line looks more capable of scoring easier when they get on top in the midfield.

Last edited:
Essendon have upset Adelaide and there isn’t any reason why we can’t upset port. It will come down to Fyfes and the rest of the guys efforts are and how our forward line goes. Tabs needs to stand up and kick a bag. We can match port in the middle with Sandis dominance.Will be interesting to see if brayshaw does a tagging job. Need Wilson and Ryan rebounding out of defense with a few bounces. Can’t wait to see how Banfield and brayshaw do in their first crack at the real stuff. Expecting a good game. Go Freo!!!!

Was Essendon winning really an upset though?

No Walker, Lynch, Smith and B.Crouch and three first game players and at Etihad instead of in Adelaide. I wouldn’t underestimate Adelaide’s ability to bounce back with three of the four above playing but at the same time we need to recognise the importance of these players and realise Adelaide are less likely to play to their full capacity without them.

View attachment 474117 On my way to the game, returning to the scene of the murder - 89 stabs to be exact!

It’s a warm but blustery day over in Radelaide, with some cloud but mostly blue skies. Should be a cracker day at the footy.

It’s early, but I’ve only seen one other person walking on the street wearing Freo colours apart from me. :moustache:

Goodluck to all the Freo Faithful having to put up with all those Maggots at Adelaide Oval today. #PurpleProud

Was Essendon winning really an upset though?

No Walker, Lynch, Smith and B.Crouch and three first game players and at Etihad instead of in Adelaide. I wouldn’t underestimate Adelaide’s ability to bounce back with three of the four above playing but at the same time we need to recognise the importance of these players and realise Adelaide are less likely to play to their full capacity without them.
You are right. But I still think of it as a upset. It’s like Freo winning against port. They have players coming off limited pre seasons but we would still call it a upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back