Autopsy Round 1 v Tigers - If only the quarters were longer

carlton2dabone

Premiership Player
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Need to start from the first whistle, not the second half. Would have hoped they had fixed that from last year.

Don’t know why the club can’t fix the skills and decision making but we continue to suffer from it.

A handful of players that wouldn’t get a game in any other team, either for lack of skill or not committed enough to win the ball.

We aren’t fast enough and don’t tackle well enough.

Missing our top-line forwards, and if not for Martin we would lose by 60!

Yet Having said all that, we got close enough to be able to pinch it, if only we could fix the above we would start to rise.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Best were easily Weitering and SPS, strong, smart clean

As always Cripps can stem the tide

Martin all class

Levi seems a better option in the ruck and round the ground, just bring in TDK

Good first up by Newnes

Can't leave Gibbons and Cuners camped in the 50, when allowed 5o drift up the ground they helped ball movement

Concerns

Walsh not using the first option and his kicking

Setters seems lost

Dow, either let him hunt the footy or send him back to the VFL ( yeah yeah, I know)

Margin: Not far off after a terrible start. The difference between both sides, hitting targets

If it was a full season, 10-13 wins would be achievable

BlueBayou

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I grant the tigs took their foot off the gas somewhat, but we actually won on the scoreboard after 1/4 time. Take out the howlers and things are very interesting.

Crippa, Martin, Cas, Weiters v good. Doc as good as could be expected. Gov had an 'almost night'. Dropped a couple that could have been very significant. I like SPS down back. I like jsos in his current role. Murphy wastes so many good opportunities, but at least he gets to the right positions. I've tried to be patient about Dowe, but I think its time to look at others in his spot.

I think we got bullied early, but fought back quite well. Loosing Kruez early was a blow, but Cas stood tall.

We will know we have turned the corner when someone in Blue takes that flog D Martin and turns the tables on him physically. He is a bully, a fabulous player and really good at throwing. (must be the kiwi backgound)

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Things we found out tonight:

Gov cannot give more than 5 minutes a term.
SPS is possibly going to make AA because in any given situation he knows precisely what to do.
Teague needs to adjust much faster than he does to structural problems, and his baseline is likely to bleed goals if the game is against us before he has adjusted.
Weitering will be capable against any KPF this season, bar none.
We need to find some means of extracting the ball without it merely being 'Cripps gets the ball'.
Martin is very, very good when he has something to prove.
Murphy can find the ball, but perhaps he needs to stick to handpassing rather than being the link player.
We are waaaaaay fitter than last year, same time.
Setterfield rather needs to pull his finger out, because he looked as though someone drank his milkshake.
ShanDog is Luke Hodge.
The coverage is still obsequiously pro Richmond.
We are going to be better than last season.

chelseacarlton

BLUE it's the Magic Number
10k Posts Sensible Type Chess Club Member Pantskyle
Apr 13, 2008
So Frang
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
The Anti-Theists
Happy with the effort all round in the second half.
Why do we take a 6 goal head start to get a team wide rocket for effort and skill execution to kick in?
Can’t see many rounds being played before the s**t kills the season until after June maybe?
Plenty to revel in, we’d have beaten most teams tonight.

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Cripps, Martin, Doc, Weitering and Casboult. All stood up and can be proud.

Some others like Newnes and SPS had good moments.

I think what is really bothering me is 2 of our standouts were not there last year in Doc and Martin. Yet somehow we are at the same level which tells me some players have regressed from last year. That is concerning.

We cannot continue to rely on Kruzer and need to blood either Pittonet or TDK now. I would rather get belted in the ruck and develop one of the two than be one man down multiple times in the season.

Sadly I think Simpson has gone a season too long also. Which sucks to say and I hate it but he just looks off the pace. Makes me question cutting Thomas honestly. Murphy also cannot keep making mistakes.

I don't think the likes of Newman and Gibbons should be getting games over kids. Gibbons is not a forward and never will be. Newman needs to make way for a talented kid.

McGovern is the most disappointing recruitment I can remember. He jumps for marks and they literally smack him in the face. He is so far off it.

Setterfield was extremely disappointing as was Fisher for me.

Our hack and hope inside 50 style is really sad.

Blue Razor

Team Captain
Jun 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
bad Q1 lots of negatives

but Q3 and Q4 was much better and kept fighting
Jack Martin is a gun, jack Newnes played well, doc return :hearteyes:, Weitering killed Lynch. lots positives

come ready to play next week boys.

Also Teague was able to adapt after q1 which what you need from.

May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Carlton, Tennessee Titans
Great fight back, and Martin already worth his salary.

On a side note, props to Prestia, in the post game chat just admitted that Blues got hold of them in the midfield during the 7 goal run, don't often hear that when asked if a team took their foot off the pedal or opposition was playing better.

macca_74

Senior List
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Looked a totally different player and was pretty shithouse tbh

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk
Yeah not a great game for him but I can’t recall seeing him at a centre bounce the whole game. Wasn’t as involved in midfield as last year which he needs to be imo

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Things we found out tonight:

Gov cannot give more than 5 minutes a term.
SPS is possibly going to make AA because in any given situation he knows precisely what to do.
Teague needs to adjust much faster than he does to structural problems, and his baseline is likely to bleed goals if the game is against us before he has adjusted.
Weitering will be capable against any KPF this season, bar none.
We need to find some means of extracting the ball without it merely being 'Cripps gets the ball'.
Martin is very, very good when he has something to prove.
Murphy can find the ball, but perhaps he needs to stick to handpassing rather than being the link player.
We are waaaaaay fitter than last year, same time.
Setterfield rather needs to pull his finger out, because he looked as though someone drank his milkshake.
ShanDog is Luke Hodge.
The coverage is still obsequiously pro Richmond.
We are going to be better than last season.
Oi. I didn't snipe anywhere near as many players in my career as Hodge. I hit them from in front like a gentleman.

Tague has shown he makes good game-day decisions. I wonder if the lack of runner access to the players makes it seem like we are adjusting too slowly. Then again they kicked a s**t-tin of goals so... maybe the runner was tired from repeat efforts?

Sep 10, 2003
Exile
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Blown out of the fishbowl in the first 5 minutes, played catch up from then on.

Had plenty of our own footy early in quarters, couldn’t put it on the scoreboard.

JW outstanding, Martin a godsend.

Plenty of others racked up numbers........which is a participation thing.

Got a lot closer than I thought.

Pablito

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
It's not all doom and gloom I guess. However I worry about our midfield. Where is the next crop? Outside of Cripps and Walsh, who else is taking us to a premiership?

Back