Review Round 1 vs Sydney - New year, same s**t (now with less toilet paper)

Remove this Banner Ad

The other side of the coin is that midfield performance last week was damn concerning, and that's not the first time those three have failed to fire as well. It looks like a group who have gotten too comfortable, and too same-same.

Brad is the easiest to let go, however, it's a real wait and see at this point. I'm genuinely concerned about the loss of experienced/hardened bodies as you need a few to set standards, and get your kids through the rough period, however, you also can't argue with the on-field if it keeps remaining broken.
Totally agree, it's nice to get another balanced perspective rather than a Rabbit Rambling.

For years we haven't played to the strengths of our players in that part of the field IMO. We are trying to throw more players through there, both experienced bodies and young kids.

I just believe it's counterproductive to try and build a midfield group and lose Brad in doing so.

If he actually wants to leave then you don't try and fight it, if he doesn't then you keep him.

Totally agree, it's nice to get another balanced perspective rather than a Rabbit Rambling.

For years we haven't played to the strengths of our players in that part of the field IMO. We are trying to throw more players through there, both experienced bodies and young kids.

I just believe it's counterproductive to try and build a midfield group and lose Brad in doing so.

If he actually wants to leave then you don't try and fight it, if he doesn't then you keep him.

I agree with the bolded bit in principle, however where this comes unstuck is that Brad's output is average. There will be a few on this board that think otherwise but I don't rate Brad anywhere near others.
He's a one way runner, his disposal skills are average at best and he lacks intensity. This is a player that wants the big pay packet but IMO the output and value doesn't match.

Now we have the added factor that he will be a year older with very little or no football played this year.

So for me the decision is, continue with the same or cut your losses and rebuild.

Also I am of the opinion if a club had offered Brad a bigger pay in the offseason he would have been gone. I think he is more committed to the size of his pay than the club.

I agree with the bolded bit in principle, however where this comes unstuck is that Brad's output is average. There will be a few on this board that think otherwise but I don't rate Brad anywhere near others.
He's a one way runner, his disposal skills are average at best and he lacks intensity. This is a player that wants the big pay packet but IMO the output and value doesn't match.

Now we have the added factor that he will be a year older with very little or no football played this year.

So for me the decision is, continue with the same or cut your losses and rebuild.

Also I am of the opinion if a club had offered Brad a bigger pay in the offseason he would have been gone. I think he is more committed to the size of his pay than the club.
I dont agree with any of that, but so be it.

Our midfield have failed when Brad wasn't there. Hell we had the best midfielder in the game for 2 years and won 1 final.

Brad is our best midfielder, we can't lose him for anything less than Band 1. If he gets an offer that big then yeah sure let him go.

The landscape has changed though, free agency isn't going to look the same as it does now. The money won't be the same, the contract length wont be the same.

Underrated post. The landscape will be entirely different as this crisis lingers. Money going into the AFL has frozen, club income is all but frozen and there will be very cautious decisions made by all clubs going forward. The end of the long contract and contract values will be the first casualty.

Underrated post. The landscape will be entirely different as this crisis lingers. Money going into the AFL has frozen, club income is all but frozen and there will be very cautious decisions made by all clubs going forward. The end of the long contract and contract values will be the first casualty.
Agreed, and could be just our luck that we lose Brad for peanuts if the AFL don't adjust their Free Agency formula accordingly.

It's not necessarily counter-productive to do so. The old adage is a champion team beats a team of champions (not to say Brad has hit that point), and its not like every player gels with everyone play style. Geelong and GWS have been prime examples of this in recent times. Teams with a ridiculously high talent level, and yet found wanting when against more cohesive units.

This pairing has been something we've been struggling with for 3 years and have been forced to patch together with a Greenwood/CEY, despite how flawed both of them are as players (CEY much more so then Greenwood). It's even more damning that we've been forced to patch up on the inside, when really Brad and Matt should have a high level of production there.

I wouldn't be treating this as a keep Brad if he wants to stay thing. I would be watching our midfield performances very closely if/when football does return this year. If that Sydney performance is the norm midfield wise (and I suspect it's more likely the norm then an aberration going off the past with these three), then I'd be moving on Brad regardless. He's both the highest risk of the three, and the easiest to move.

It's certainly not a nice problem to have. A real damned if you do, damned if you don't at the moment. The do is we do need to keep veterans around to make sure we're not the new Melbourne/Brisbane/Carlton/St.Kilda. Rebuilds are great if they work, but they don't exactly have a high success rate.

Last edited:
It's not necessarily counter-productive to do so. The old adage is a champion team beats a team of champions (not to say Brad has hit that point), and its not like every player gels with everyone play style. Geelong and GWS have been prime examples of this in recent times. Teams with a ridiculously high talent level, and yet found wanting when against more cohesive units.

This pairing has been something we've been struggling with for 3 years and have been forced to patch together with a Greenwood/CEY, despite how flawed both of them are as players (CEY much more so then Greenwood). It's even more damning that we've been forced to patch up on the inside, when really Brad and Matt should have a high level of production there.

I wouldn't be treating this as a keep Brad if he wants to stay thing. I would be watching our midfield performances very closely if/when football does return this year. If that Sydney performance is the norm midfield wise (and I suspect it's more likely the norm then an aberration going off the past with these three), then I'd be moving on Brad regardless. He's both the highest risk of the three, and the easiest to move.

It's certainly not a nice problem to have. A real damned if you do, damned if you don't at the moment.
Youre right with the old adage, however I counter that by saying the Geelong, Hawthorn and Brisbanes of yesteryear had both.

I'm not even sure he's the easiest to move on, if he were then I reckon he wouldve gone last season.

Youre right with the old adage, however I counter that by saying the Geelong, Hawthorn and Brisbanes of yesteryear had both.

I'm not even sure he's the easiest to move on, if he were then I reckon he wouldve gone last season.

He's out of contract this season. Matt is locked up until 2021 and Sloane is 2023.

I doubt either party thought about it last season, after all Crouch was one of those players who needed 2020 to really secure a payday, either here or elsewhere.

He's out of contract this season. Matt is locked up until 2021 and Sloane is 2023.

I doubt either party thought about it last season, after all Crouch was one of those players who needed 2020 to really secure a payday, either here or elsewhere.
Securing that payday for him, or anyone, has just become almost impossible

Remove this Banner Ad

Back