VFL Round 1 vs Sydney Swans VFL, Whitten Oval 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Van Der Heuvel is 200cms tall, a key defender and a decent contested mark. Let's ******* play him up forward against a team that is rolling three players that height or taller through their forward line.

Pathetic gameday coaching.
I stopped watching after that

Time for all us who are calling for specific players to be promoted to the seniors to have a reality check. Others may see things differently but here's my take:
Sweet has not improved one iota.
Martin is too slow and lacking any athleticism to play seniors.
Schache will likely play out the rest of his contract in the VFL.
Wallis may get a few games this year but is not the answer to our forward or midfield problems.
O'Brien lacks match practice.
Jones was gassed by half time after showing some glimpses.
Garcia needs more match play.
West is a very good VFL player but lack of height and speed make transition to seniors difficult.
Raak showed that with more development he could slot into a backline position.
Butler tried hard but didn't have a lot of influence.
McComb was our best by some margin, will play some senior footy this season.

Last edited:
That’s some pretty good stats from Martin against a decent younger ruckman.

13 hitouts to advantage is what we need.

Time for all us who are calling for specific players to be promoted to the seniors to have a reality check. Others may see things differently but here's my take:
Sweet has not improved one iota.
Martin is too slow and lacking any athleticism to play seniors.
Schache will likely play out the rest of his contract in the VFL.
Wallis may get a few games this year but is not the answer to our forward or midfield problems.
O'Brien lacks match practice.
Jones was gassed by half time after showing some glimpses.
Garcia needs more match play.
West is a very good VFL player but lack of height and speed make transition to seniors difficult.
Raak showed that with more development he could slot into a backline position.
Garcia tried hard but didn't have a lot of influence.
McComb was our best by some margin, will play some senior footy this season.
Is one of your Garcia'a a Butler? Good post, btw. Sad, but accurate. I'm not going to call for any changes for the rest of the season. :huh:

Martin played alright but was slow and didn't really do anything outside of the stoppage.

This has been an excuse for too long. Who cares? Pittonet did * all outside of the stoppage too, but rucked well and set his team up for a win.

Too much is made of the “modern hybrid ruckman” that can do a million things, we just need a ruckman first up. Andrew ******* Phillips would help us right now lol

Just a horrible, horrible performance. Far too short at both ends.

Losing by 7 goals with the following numbers is just nuts...
+21 first possession
+14 clearances
+5 inside 50s

This is how short we were...
-15 spoils
-11 marks inside 50
-9 contested marks

Despite being so short we also just handed it to them giving up 18 scores (11.7) from turnovers.

This is how are four teams have started the year...

AFL: 0/2 (0%)
AFLW: 4/10 (40%)
VFL: 0/1 (0%)
VFLW: 0/5 (0%)

Overall: 4/18 (22%)

Now as always (please note these stats aren't final, CD will do a final review in 24-48 hours and I will update the post once that's done)

Disposal Efficiency

WB: 72%
SY: 85%

Kicking Efficiency
WB: 63%
SY: 70%

Hitouts / To Advantage
24 / 13 - Martin
15 / 1 - Sweet

Hitouts To Advantage

WB: 14
SY: 7

First Possessions
WB: 51
SY: 30

Clearances / Centre Clearances

WB: 44 / 11
SY: 30 / 3

Contested Marks
WB: 4
SY: 13

Marks Inside 50
WB: 7
SY: 18

Defensive 50 Marks
WB: 16
SY: 26

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks
WB: 6
SY: 7

Spoils
WB: 27
SY: 42

Score Launches
4 - McComb
3 - Wallis
2 - Kellet, West
1 - Butler, Cleary, Garcia, Sullivan,Sweet

Inside 50 Efficiency
WB: 36%
SY: 60%

Shots At Goal

WB: 18 (33%)
SY: 27 (48%)

Scoring Profile (Footscray / Sydney)
Set Shot: 3.2 / 7.5
Snap: 0.4 / 3.0
On Run: 3.2 / 3.2
Mark Play On: 0.0 / 0.1
Ground Kick: 0.0 / 0.0

0M-15M: 0.0 / 4.0
15M-30M: 1.1 / 5.1
31M-40M: 4.3 / 0.1
41M-50M: 1.4 / 3.5
51M+: 0.0 / 1.1

Scores Directly From FK/50MP: 0.0 / 3.1
Scores In Time-On: 4.5 / 4.4

Smothers
WB: 15
SY: 12

Champion Data Ranking Points (Supercoach)
174 - McComb
120 - Wallis
113 - Martin
109 - Sullivan
88 - Raak
88 - Garcia
87 - Butler
70 - Schache
70 - West
62 - Cleary
62 - Kellet
58 - Chatfield
56 - Jones
50 - Vanderhuevel
45 - Macpherson
42 - GIlbee
40 - O’Brien
39 - Goater
33 - Khamis
25 - Lewis
23 - Sweet
5 - Hodge

Free Kick Summary
FK.png

Score Sources
SS.png

Player Stats Table
PS.png

kicks, kicking efficiency, handballs, disposals efficiency, contested possessions, uncontested possessions, marks, contested marks, intercept marks, tackles, pressure acts, spoils, frees for, frees against, hitouts, hitouts to advantage, clearances, centre clearances, inside 50s, rebound 50s, shots, goals/behinds, score assists, score involvements, metres gained, fantasy points, ranking points

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footscray have been a very good VFL team pretty much since we started. I have a feeling this is the year we trend down a little.

From what I saw, I though Martin was okay as well as Garcia & Raak. Not impressed with anyone else.

Think we’ll just see O’Brien & Baz into the seniors next week.

Looks like the entire club is infected with the same disease right now- poor skills, loose marking, jogging around and tackles that continually get broken. These are usally bulldog strengths. Not sure what happened over the off season, did someone put a curse on or something??

We had the 'welcome to country' smoke - maybe it's time for the sage burning.....

Starting to wonder if the departure of assistant coaches, players like Young and Lipinski leaving, and the scarring from the 2021 GF has pushed our club over the edge.

There was just zero cohesion in that game. The movement patterns of the players and teamwork in close was horrendous.

What a galling 24 hours for the club.

To me the whole club didn't look prepared well enough for round 1 and this week.

Not much to enthuse about today. Getting tired of watching teams outmark us all over the ground at both levels. We have too many medium size players on our list and many of them are run of the mill.

Kicking skills in the AFL team and today haven't been good enough.

McCoomb was a plus, Raak looked handy, Martin won in the ruck and needs to play AFL IMO.

Apart from that........

O'Brien needs time doesnt look ready to go up.

This is one of the worst efforts I've seen from our VFL team for a very long time. Skills very poor. No real standouts demanding senior selection.
In short, very disappointing.
Maybe that’s why there was no VFL report last week. It was like tonight. So bad that you want to erase any evidence that it ever happened.

We appear to have major issues with our connections into the forward line in both AFL and VFL. This boils down to skills, decision making and poor structure.

it is a shame Sweet had a poor game. Schache needs to play 1 position only and that is as a defender due to the cubboard being bare. Give the poor guy a chance to settle.

Some concerning signs at both levels but the talent is there. We need to be smart and invest in key backs and another ruck or 2 if Sweet is not going to make it. I would still like to see him given a game soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back