Review Round 1 vs West Coast Eagles @Optus Stadium (21.03.21 - 5:10pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Once again outplayed by a team with none of the top 10 draft picks we have but let the excuses begin

I know I come across as negative but ffs the excuses are rubbish. We get out worked and before people get on me about the Eagles being too strong at home, this is a club we gave 4 x 2nd rounders only a few years ago as they were a likely wooden spooner. Since then they have won a premiership and we continue to tread water
Yes but some of these things are facts! We have improved big time and were able to stay in it for 3.75 quarters! Facing West Coast at Optus is the most difficult assignment in the league and we gave it a good crack! We had players stand up. King's first half was pretty good which was good to see. We had a skipper lead from the front. Our YOUNG backline battled hard all day and did an amazing job. These are all positives mate and we are heading in the right direction sooner than some people think!

The first 3 mins were diabolical.

Markov crashed to earth. Hopefully, just nerves in his first game.

Another one who crashed was Budarick. Hopefully, second year blues.

Lemmens did a fabulous job on Ryan. So don’t even try to criticise him.

So Swallow is a liability? Time to apologise.

Great job Witts.

Dew you better be right about Rowell.

Time to get rid of bad taste in mouth and kill North. I will be there.
Markov was pretty good I thought, just had a few dinky kicks but worked hard and played well. 20 touches and 14 marks

Don't think we can be too disappointed with that one. We showed a massive amount of heart on the road and gave ourselves a genuine shot to win it in the fourth quarter. That kind of effort nets us a win against most teams in the AFL.

Now onto North for some reward for effort.

who will replace him? Wright is no longer at the club
And here lies the problem....
Shame that our gun academy key forwards aren't a year older. You'd be tempted to try Jye Lockett or Will Bella if Day can't get it right.

I doubt Murtagh is going to make the grade and we know what we'll get from guys like Burgess and Corbett. Only other option may be Jeffrey but I think he's a bit undersized.

First off the bat - absolutely guttered to see Rowelly go down again with an injury, fingers crossed it’s just a minor knee injury and just a couple of weeks on the sideline.

Secondly I felt the game was 100% winnable hence why I’m so upset. Dropped marks by sexton and king proved costly. Also Markov turning the ball over 6-7 times was disappointing. However, I am happy with the overall effort on the road against a hostile WA crowd. We dominated certain passages of play which was encouraging to see and managed to shut the eagles down after bleeding 3 easy quick goals in under 2 minutes we did extremely well to get the game back on our terms.

Onwards and upwards SUNNERS let’s go! Plenty of positives to take out of that one. All the best Rowelly hopefully we see you back out there sooner rather than later.

Shame that our gun academy key forwards aren't a year older. You'd be tempted to try Jye Lockett or Will Bella if Day can't get it right.

I doubt Murtagh is going to make the grade and we know what we'll get from guys like Burgess and Corbett. Only other option may be Jeffrey but I think he's a bit undersized.
Graham played forward with success in the juniors

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The good. Highest disposal efficiency of any team this round at 79%.
Foot skills in general are a lot better than any year prior. The switch cleared it out of their 50 easily enough using Bowes who was very composed.
Only 44 inside 50s. That’s why the dropped chest marks, and easy misses (Day) kill you

fuark, tough game. proud of the way we played, pretty much the better team for nearly 3 quarters. when we can put together 4 quarters of the same level of quality as those first 3 quarters, look out.

Are they guns? On the national scale?

I haven't heard about Bella / Lockett and co mentioned by anyone on draft boards.

I am up for listing them if they're good enough prospects (Bella in particular). Lockett at 189cm? would have to be a very good footballer to get near it.

Corbett has a place in this team as someone who runs all day, who can give us a target and take a mark.
Jeffrey will effectively be a flanker.

Are they guns? On the national scale?

I haven't heard about Bella / Lockett and co mentioned by anyone on draft boards.

I am up for listing them if they're good enough prospects (Bella in particular). Lockett at 189cm? would have to be a very good footballer to get near it.

Corbett has a place in this team as someone who runs all day, who can give us a target and take a mark.
Jeffrey will effectively be a flanker.
They aren't standout prospects

Not good enough - bit sick of “close but not close enough”

put em away. not a bunch of kids anymore
Although I agree with your sentiment of no more excuses, it might be hard to argue the team that played for us today is "not a bunch of kids anymore":

Players 21 or under (8/23 - 34%)
Charlie Ballard (21)
Will Powell (21)
Noah Anderson (20)
Ben King (20)
Jack Lukosius (20)
Izak Rankine (20)
Connor Budarick (19)
Matt Rowell (19)

Players 22-25 (7/23 - 30%)
Nick Holman (25)
Touk Miller (25)
Lachie Weller (25)
Oleg Markov (24)
Jack Bowes (23)
Darcy Macpherson (23)
Will Brodie (22)

64% of our players were 25 or younger today and over a third of them were 21 or younger. Hard to argue a large percentage of our players aren't still young.

I was expecting a win so i'm a bit pissed off. We gave it a crack but the eagles midfield clearances were too clean and spot on when it mattered.

To lose by 4 goals without proper inside 50 entries is annoying. We literally need that big contested mark from Dixon or Lynch and we would of won the game.

I'm expecting to pump north next week, and the way Port delivered into their 50 today maybe we just gotta have every tall target down there, Lycett, Ladhams, Dixon & Marshall destroyed their backline.

Murtagh come on down

Forgive the intrusion.

Well played today - lots to like - had us working very hard.

Was at the game today - it was a HOT ONE - so your lads did well to keep coming the majority of the game.

Your ball movement was a highlight (or point of frustration for me!), really stretched us and you played Optus well, using the space, bodes well as it’s a similar size to the G and that will stretch plenty of teams this year.

All the best for 2021, hope Rowell is back soon.

Swallow: Had a great game. Uncompromising and strong in the contest as always. Pressure in the forward line. Used it well this week. Kicked a goal.

Lukosius: His laser boot is a major weapon for us. Looked a bit stronger in the contest. Thought he was one player who helped our chances of winning the most.

Bowes: Thought he was good, without being outstanding. His play at the back was stabilising but not really damaging. Allowed us to play a game style which almost got us a win. Overmatched in a few defensive contests.

Markov: Strengths and Weaknesses clearly on display. Nowhere near our best but adds something to the team

Weller: Kicking will be a weapon. Got caught a few times which will happen when you run with the ball. Thought he was ok without being great.

Ballard: Looks noticeably bigger. Courageous, can read the play. My gripes with him - sometimes just saunters after a loose ball inviting unnecessary pressure. Prone to giving away stupid free kicks. Doesn't seem to have corrected these things yet.

Collins: Solid as always.

King: One of his best career games from a statistical perspective. 3 goals first round, I'll take that every day of the week. A few missed chances though.

Powell: Thought he was very good. Nice kicking, coming inside on the 45 a number of times to open up the ground. Pretty strong in the contest as well.

Don't think there were many bad players on the day.

Fingers crossed Rowell's scans are positive.

I was expecting a win so i'm a bit pissed off. We gave it a crack but the eagles midfield clearances were too clean and spot on when it mattered.

To lose by 4 goals without proper inside 50 entries is annoying. We literally need that big contested mark from Dixon or Lynch and we would of won the game.

I'm expecting to pump north next week, and the way Port delivered into their 50 today maybe we just gotta have every tall target down there, Lycett, Ladhams, Dixon & Marshall destroyed their backline.

Murtagh come on down
Not sure about Murtagh but I agree with the rest of your sentiments.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back