Review Round 1 vs West Coast Eagles @Optus Stadium (21.03.21 - 5:10pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely we’re at a stage in our development where we want to be playing the best sides instead of hoping for a weakened side with injures?
That’s very honourable but Nah. I’m from the Leigh Matthews school of philosophy - the more stars missing from the opposition the better. Every side is tough in this competition no matter who they have out there.

Maybe for a team who doesn’t want to play finals that’s a good theory
Pretty sure this was Matthew’s philosophy when coaching the mighty Lions teams of the early 2000s. Was not upset to see the opposition missing one or two. With our history, I’m happy taking a win whoever we come up against. This team need some continuity of winning form before we can even think of playing finals. They need confidence,. Doesn’t matter who we play, if we put in four solid quarters I’d like to think we’re a chance. Just need to stop the rot of these single quarter lapses.

8-10 wins and percentage of 102% minimum is my realistic aim.

my unrealistic aim is 22-0, percentage of 210%, rowell wins rising star and brownlow and coleman

21-1.
You lose the game against Richmond after Rowell is forced to miss due to a severe case of leather poisoning against North.

I feel strange about this game. We generally play well against West Coast and I want to be optimistic about potentially getting a win but I also accept that West Coast at Optus is about as tough as it gets. There are lots of storylines at play here as well:
  • Rowelly's return. Can he dominate the way he did last season? Last time he played against the Eagles he was best on.
  • West Coast's opportunity for revenge. You only have to watch episode 2 of Making Their Mark to see how much that loss irked guys like Naitanui.
  • Can our midfield stand up against their superstar line up? We did a good job last year but I get the feeling it's going to be tougher this time around.
  • Is Anderson better than Rowell? Genuine question. Anderson's rate of improvement late last season was very impressive but is he on Rowell's level?
  • What does a Rowell-Rankine combination look like when they play together? We've never seen them play together.
  • Can we keep their forward line quiet? We did a fantastic job of restricting Kennedy and Darling's influence last year. What about Liam Ryan? What about Oscar Allen?
  • Who is going to kick our goals? Sexton is in form after booting six goals against the highly rated Lions but was held goalless last time we play West Coast. West Coast will be of Rankine and therefore may leave Sexton open (we can only hope!). Kingy only managed one major against the Eagles last year. Day and Ainsworth kicked two each. Bottom line, we need a few of our forwards to step up tomorrow to secure a victory.
  • How will Wittsy go in the ruck? Naitnaui did a job on him last year but is also a little underdone after only managed a half of footy in the AAMI series match two weeks again.
I'm sure there are more but these are just the ones on my mind right now.

Darcy MacPherson is in Perth. Either him or Holman the sub I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Chris Burgess might be in Perth.
I’m going to tip him to be the sub.

BConnor BudarickSam CollinsSean Lemmens
HBWil PowellCharlie BallardOleg Markov
CBrandon EllisHugh GreenwoodJack Lukosius
HFDavid SwallowSam DayLachie Weller
FIzak RankineBen KingDarcy Macpherson
FollJarrod WittsMatt RowellTouk Miller
I/CNoah AndersonJack Bowes
Will BrodieAlex Sexton
EmergChris BurgessCaleb GrahamJarrod Harbrow
Nick Holman

Remove this Banner Ad