Review Round 1 vs West Coast Eagles @Optus Stadium (21.03.21 - 5:10pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

I had time to re-watch the game. While frustrated that we did not take the win when it was there for taking there are a lot of positives and I’m quite looking forward towards the rest of season.

Positive
No panic after horrible start. We were able to change tempo and execute plan for long periods. It was refreshing. Boys got belief.

Why we lost
Starting game with allowing 3 goals in 3 minutes put us on back foot. As a consequence we had to chase harder, spent more energy.

A lot of missed opportunities, especially in 3rd QTR where we got on top for significant time. At least 8 missed opportunities in the game missing getable set shots or dropping marks.

Eagles cranked up the heat after we were 7 points up in the last quarter. For like 10 min we were under pressure. Still it was only 12 points 4 mins to go. Definitely a missed opportunity.

In the end we did not step up in crucial moments.

Notes
It was interesting dilemma for SUNS regarding a line-up. Going taller due to Eagles team or go as we did hoping for more dirty balls going forward (as per Dew's presser). I think the strategy mostly work. In the end, it was down to execution, taking opportunities.

It seems we did a great job on Gaff but Kelly dominated in patches. I would prefer to tag Kelly. I understand that teams try to impose their game plan but I would make that adjustment.

I am happy with our KPD but Collins and Ballards have still some way to go. They looked rusty, sometimes mis-communicated. I actually think Collins was worse than Ballard despite Ballard making some obvious mistakes. It was quite frustrating to see our players getting called for push when Eagles players got away with it. But that’s home ground advantage.

I re-watched Markov closely. Yes, he frustrated me as he did 3 blunders under no pressure (one costing us a goal) but I agree he was very good except it seems he was unnoticeable in the last quarter. I hope the team will use him more often on rebound. He runs hard into open spaces and can break lines but teammates often ignore him.

Bowes was great but I did not like his match up on Allen when isolated.

Wish we got ball more into Rankine’s hands and gave him some run in midfield. Not many players can read the game like him. His kick to King was a beauty.

Budarick was very rusty and made plenty of mistakes. No urgency on the sideline in the first minute was not a good look at all.

King had a good game. He scored 3 goals but should have 5 - missing easy mark and set shot.

I am not harsh on Day as most people are here. He played his role and limited McGovern influence, split most contests and actually surprised me in the ruck. He did miss a set shot.

We should take out Rowell from continuous inside contests when he comes back. It’s time to ease him into it slowly.

Brodies 64% ToG worries me but I would give him continuous block of games and see how he goes. I like his kick.

Witts probably did as much as we could ask for against Nic.

Lemmens limited Ryan's influence.

We split clearances, but I had a feeling Eagles dominated in some crucial moments.

I loved Swallow performance. Nobody went harder than him. He actually looked sharp contrary to some of his teammates.

Luko really excites me. You can see his growth. Just hope he can convert his opportunities.

As for North game, recovery is a key. Ainsworth would be a great in. I would probably go with Flanders/Corbett for Macpherson but I have a feeling the team stays as it is.

Last edited:
Budarick deserves to be given a solid roasting at a team meeting for setting such a bad standard for the year with his really woeful effort in the first minute.
He had them and the crowd up and about and in the blink of an eye it was 19-0.

I had time to re-watch the game. While frustrated that we did not take the win when it was there for taking there are a lot of positives and I’m quite looking forward towards the rest of season.

Positive
No panic after horrible start. We were able to change tempo and execute plan for long periods. It was refreshing. Boys got belief.

Why we lost
Starting game with allowing 3 goals in 3 minutes put us on back foot. As a consequence we had to chase harder, spent more energy.

A lot of missed opportunities, especially in 3rd QTR where we got on top for significant time. At least 8 missed opportunities in the game missing getable set shots or dropping marks.

Eagles cranked up the heat after we were 7 points up in the last quarter. For like 10 min we were under pressure. Still it was only 12 points 4 mins to go. Definitely a missed opportunity.

In the end we did not step up in crucial moments.

Notes
It was interesting dilemma for SUNS regarding a line-up. Going taller due to Eagles team or go as we did hoping for more dirty balls going forward (as per Dew's presser). I think the strategy mostly work. In the end, it was down to execution, taking opportunities.

It seems we did a great job on Gaff but Kelly dominated in patches. I would prefer to tag Kelly. I understand that teams try to impose their game plan but I would make that adjustment.

I am happy with our KPD but Collins and Ballards have still some way to go. They looked rusty, sometimes mis-communicated. I actually think Collins was worse than Ballard despite Ballard making some obvious mistakes. It was quite frustrating to see our players getting called for push when Eagles players got away with it. But that’s home ground advantage.

I re-watched Markov closely. Yes, he frustrated me as he did 3 blunders under no pressure (one costing us a goal) but I agree he was very good except it seems he was unnoticeable in the last quarter. I hope the team will use him more often on rebound. He runs hard into open spaces and can break lines but teammates often ignore him.

Bowes was great but I did not like his match up on Allen when isolated.

Wish we got ball more into Rankine’s hands and gave him some run in midfield. Not many players can read the game like him. His kick to King was a beauty.

Budarick was very rusty and made plenty of mistakes. No urgency on the sideline in the first minute was not a good look at all.

King had a good game. He scored 3 goals but should have 5 - missing easy mark and set shot.

I am not harsh on Day as most people are here. He played his role and limited McGovern influence, split most contests and actually surprised me in the ruck. He did miss a set shot.

We should take out Rowell from continuous inside contests when he comes back. It’s time to ease him into it slowly.

Brodies 64% ToG worries me but I would give him continuous block of games and see how he goes. I like his kick.

Witts probably did as much as we could ask for against Nic.

Lemmens limited Ryan's influence.

We split clearances, but I had a feeling Eagles dominated in some crucial moments.

I loved Swallow performance. Nobody went harder than him. He actually looked sharp contrary to some of his teammates.

Luko really excites me. You can see his growth. Just hope he can convert his opportunities.

As for North game, recovery is a key. Ainsworth would be a great in. I would probably go with Flanders/Corbett for Macpherson but I have a feeling the team stays as it is.
I adore this level of analysis, Really puts things into perspective.

Thank you Jirik!

Haha only umpired more games than most people on here have played :p
To be fair it's pretty easy to beat 1 :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back