U18 Champs Round 1 - WA vs SA

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez that last quarter was frustrating to watch but Young was massive at the end.

Taylor's work down back impressed me most

Well that was an exciting finish

SA got right on top around the contests and capitalised on their marking strength. Looked like WA had blown it but they held up well in the last 5 minutes under a ton of pressure

Thought James Rowe from SA was instrumental in the last quarter as was the big fella Coleman-Jones

Is it a golden score if the game is tied at full time?

Well that was an exciting finish

SA got right on top around the contests and capitalised on their marking strength. Looked like WA had blown it but they held up well in the last 5 minutes under a ton of pressure

Thought James Rowe from SA was instrumental in the last quarter as was the big fella Coleman-Jones

Is it a golden score if the game is tied at full time?

Must be because the siren blew fairly smartly after the point was signalled.

Good showing from WA boys but they need a 4 quarter effort especially against Country and Metro

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a quick repot, I will attempt to write something longer tonight.

WA.
2 - Hill: 2018 it will be interesting to see how high this kid will go. Has great speed, clean hands and a one touch player. I would not mind him being a little more selfish infront of goal, but he could be a top 15 pick next year.

9 - Patmore: I'm not seeing AFL qualities at the moment. Missed some shots at goal, kicking below average and decision making was not the best. Disappointing considering I heard good things about him.

11 - England: Has speed to burn, just a pity he seems to burn the ball a little too much.

15 - Ainsworth: I would be watching this kid as I've heard he only just came up to Perth recently. Nice run and carry and one of the few players still running hard in the last quarter when SA were all over us.

22 - Hayden: He was the biggest surprise packet for me. He reminds me a heap of SPP from last year. Just a brute of a kid that charged through people. I was a huge fan for most of the game and then he made a 30m chase down attempt to help stop a goal, that is when he won a few more brownie points. Watch this space... He did not run out the game, so his tank may be lacking.

25 - Allen: Was by far the best forward on the lead today. Strong on the lead and great timing, always creating a target out of defense as well. Still at the end of the day, he is undersized for a forward and not sure the SA defenders were the strongest.

27 Taylor: Best on ground (from a recruitment standpoint). Seemed to play on the resting ruck a lot, outsized but almost did not lose one contest. Great closing speed, amazing marking and can spoil with both hands. Very solid kick as well, stand out player. Does not go to ground and one contest was a highlight. Went to spoil a player, came to ground and someone crumbed the ball, he stayed on his feet, chased him down, dived and almost spoiled the ball but the player was forced to kick it out of the full. Just an amazing sequence that really highlighted his ability.

29 Naughton: Another very solid player for WA, strong over head, great second efforts and I liked his kicking. Great second efforts and the ability to break lines was also a highlight. Spotted up targets a few times with some attacking kicking options.

31 Frampton: A few Frampton fans around these parts, just did not really see it today. Got smashed in the ruck, but when he got his hands to the ball his tap work was very good. Did not massively produce around the grounds, but is a solid kick.

SA

If I am being honest, I did not watch SA as closely.

2 Rankin: Has a great leap if I am not mistaken and very dangerous around goals.

5 Giro: I liked this kid, nice inside and outside work in the midfield. Just a little small as always with SA midfielders, they seem to be a touch small.

14 Hewson: He was a surprise packet for mine, have not heard his name mentioned much but I loved his work down back and then he shifted into the midfield and I like his work in there. Watched one center square take away and picked it up with one hand, spun and shot out a quick handball. Then in the last quarter, squared up a kick across the goals that was amazing. I did see two rather crappy kicks, but on the whole i liked his work.

37 Ballard: This kid has potential, I want to see him more often, but I love his midfield work and around the grounds. Lovely size and I would keep an eye on him in the following televised games.

40 Fogarty: Looks lost in the midfield for mine, so if you require a midfielder then he may not be your man. Up forward he looked okay, but was nothing special. Down back in the last quarter and did his best work there, still I think he lacks effort. His knee was strapped, so maybe he is playing injured, but certainly not screaming top 5 pick for mine. In the midfield he just attempts to use his strength and WA seemed to stop him constantly with strong tackles.

49 CCJ: MONSTER last quarter, WA just could not get passed him. Strong hands and while his kicking looks hideous, I guess it end up getting to its location... I still think he will struggle with that kicking action at AFL level.

I went to the game and happy to share my thoughts/ My main focus was on the WA boys.

My headline comment is that we can look forward to seeing some decent home grown talls in the draft but we will need to go east for quality mids this year.

There are a couple of KPD that impressed in Sam Taylor and Aaron Naughton. Preference for Taylor at 196 cm and he reads the play particularly well and generally smart with distribution out of defence. Naughton at 194 cm is also a decent prospect who understands his defensive craft and would be a possible late pick.

Staying with talls, I liked the work of Ben Miller who at 196 cm KPF and did pretty well in the ruck against the taller SA ruck. He can actually ruck and is a strong mark both in the forward line and down the line. Frampton has improved since I last saw him and his ruck work was strong. To put Miller and Frampton rucking into perspective, they were up against Coleman-Jones at 201 cm and bottom ager Flinn at 200 cm and probably still growing.

Up front, Oscar Allen is a 3rd tall at 191 cm and did pretty well (especially liked his kicking) and when Miller went to the ruck, Allen was the sole tall forward option which he did well.

As a collective, our midfield offered few prospects. The pick of the inside mids was Ameduri and at 187 could be a strong inside mid we need. I do not need to through the poor form players but there were some really dumb decision makers and a few classic butchers of the ball. No way near the strength of midfield that WA had last year.

The bright light for me was Ian Hill. A bottom age Perth prospect and he is fast, clean and could well make a great small forward. He makes good decisions and attacks the ball. I was happy to see him also been given some time in the midfield and played on through what looked like a pretty tough should hit.

For SA, top prospect Foggarty was good in what he did but not as dominant as I would have thought. Coleman-Jones in the ruck was really strong in the last quarter and he was really well coached late in the game locking the ball in. Martini showed potential as an extractor. That said, the SA team looked as bad as I have seen for some time.

WA won by a golden point. They were clearly the better team for 3 quarters but stopped running the ball out of defence and blazed away to a disciplined last quarter SA who just locked the ball in their forward 50. Some dumb decision making and poor execution from WA from payers who I expected to be better.

15 - Ainsworth: I would be watching this kid as I've heard he only just came up to Perth recently. Nice run and carry and one of the few players still running hard in the last quarter when SA were all over us.

Brayden's the one that I'm taking a bit of interest in. Generally take interest in the Esperance kids as I grew up there also.

Been meaning to watch some of his Subiaco games but haven't got around to it as yet.

19 year old this year but had a solid upbringing of league footy in Esperance.

Ran hard, smooth mover. With that left foot, his endurance and ability to find the ball he reminded me of Simon Black earlier in his career.

Just a quick repot, I will attempt to write something longer tonight.

WA.
2 - Hill: 2018 it will be interesting to see how high this kid will go. Has great speed, clean hands and a one touch player. I would not mind him being a little more selfish infront of goal, but he could be a top 15 pick next year.

9 - Patmore: I'm not seeing AFL qualities at the moment. Missed some shots at goal, kicking below average and decision making was not the best. Disappointing considering I heard good things about him.

11 - England: Has speed to burn, just a pity he seems to burn the ball a little too much.

22 - Hayden: He was the biggest surprise packet for me. He reminds me a heap of SPP from last year. Just a brute of a kid that charged through people. I was a huge fan for most of the game and then he made a 30m chase down attempt to help stop a goal, that is when he won a few more brownie points. Watch this space... He did not run out the game, so his tank may be lacking.

25 - Allen: Was by far the best forward on the lead today. Strong on the lead and great timing, always creating a target out of defense as well. Still at the end of the day, he is undersized for a forward and not sure the SA defenders were the strongest.

27 Taylor: Best on ground (from a recruitment standpoint). Seemed to play on the resting ruck a lot, outsized but almost did not lose one contest. Great closing speed, amazing marking and can spoil with both hands. Very solid kick as well, stand out player. Does not go to ground and one contest was a highlight. Went to spoil a player, came to ground and someone crumbed the ball, he stayed on his feet, chased him down, dived and almost spoiled the ball but the player was forced to kick it out of the full. Just an amazing sequence that really highlighted his ability.

29 Naughton: Another very solid player for WA, strong over head, great second efforts and I liked his kicking. Great second efforts and the ability to break lines was also a highlight. Spotted up targets a few times with some attacking kicking options.

31 Frampton: A few Frampton fans around these parts, just did not really see it today. Got smashed in the ruck, but when he got his hands to the ball his tap work was very good. Did not massively produce around the grounds, but is a solid kick.

SA

If I am being honest, I did not watch SA as closely.

2 Rankin: Has a great leap if I am not mistaken and very dangerous around goals.

5 Giro: I liked this kid, nice inside and outside work in the midfield. Just a little small as always with SA midfielders, they seem to be a touch small.

14 Hewson: He was a surprise packet for mine, have not heard his name mentioned much but I loved his work down back and then he shifted into the midfield and I like his work in there. Watched one center square take away and picked it up with one hand, spun and shot out a quick handball. Then in the last quarter, squared up a kick across the goals that was amazing. I did see two rather crappy kicks, but on the whole i liked his work.

37 Ballard: This kid has potential, I want to see him more often, but I love his midfield work and around the grounds. Lovely size and I would keep an eye on him in the following televised games.

40 Fogarty: Looks lost in the midfield for mine, so if you require a midfielder then he may not be your man. Up forward he looked okay, but was nothing special. Down back in the last quarter and did his best work there, still I think he lacks effort. His knee was strapped, so maybe he is playing injured, but certainly not screaming top 5 pick for mine. In the midfield he just attempts to use his strength and WA seemed to stop him constantly with strong tackles.

49 CCJ: MONSTER last quarter, WA just could not get passed him. Strong hands and while his kicking looks hideous, I guess it end up getting to its location... I still think he will struggle with that kicking action at AFL level.
Would add that Miller went showed enough for me initially up front and then in the ruck - he actually knows how to ruck. Showed a bit of attitude at times

Taylor, Hill, Ainsworth, Naughton, Hayden...

I also liked Young, Ameduri
Agree with a lot of your assessment but not Ainsworth. I reflected with a couple around me and he has an almost nearly touch to him. Things nearly work but too many of his involvements ended up in a turnover. He is a late birthday and his lack of top level in Perth may explain it. e showed a but and will definitely benefit from time in the team.

For the bottom age players, I would be keeping an eye on Miller as an inside mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back