U18 Champs Round 1 - WA vs Vic Metro

Remove this Banner Ad

best players imo
1. Robertson - a lot of inside poss and link up play, any of top 3 could be BOG, but for his engine room work it has to go to Robertson
2. Henry - dangerous forw who kicked 4 and set up a couple more
3. McAsey - dominated the air in defence, best game i have seen him play, is really stepping up in the champs
4. Maginness - was involved in a lot of good link play and clearances for VM
5. Rowell - was busy but not his best game, got tackled nearly every time he went near the ball, still had decent influence
6. L.Jackson - was the 2nd best ruck display behind Comben in the VM V VC game, really impressive
7. Sharp - played well on the wing, has recently been injured and people are judging him harshly on 1 game when he has the runs on the board imo, classy mover
8. Ruscoe - strong runner out of defence, wins his own ball and uses it well
9. Worrell - kicked 4 took a lot of good marks and played well, but had at least 2 critical errors so not a flawless game, but he is a talent
10. Garcia/Taylor - Garcia played good in bursts and so did Taylor, Taylor looks more likely to be drafted if he can get more involved in games.

Last edited:
best players imo
1. Robertson - a lot of inside poss and link up play, any of top 3 could be BOG, but for his engine room work it has to go to Robertson
2. Henry - dangerous forw who kicked 4 and set up a couple more
3. McAsey - dominated the air in defence, best game i have seen him play, is really stepping up in the champs
4. Maginness - was involved in a lot of good link play and clearances for VM
5. Rowell - was busy but not his best game, got tackled nearly every time he went near the ball, still had decent influence
6. L.Jackson - was the 2nd best ruck display behind Comben in the VM V VC game, really impressive
7. Sharp - played well on the wing, has recently been injured and people are judging him harshly on 1 game when he has the runs on the board imo, classy mover
8. Ruscoe - strong runner out of defence, wins his own ball and uses it well
9. Worrell - kicked 4 took a lot of good marks and played well, but had at least 2 critical errors so not a flawless game, but he is a talent
10. Garcia/Taylor - Garcia played good in bursts and so did Taylor, Taylor looks more likely to be drafted if he can get more involved in games.

Not sure how you could have Sharp in your bests? Smooth mover but didn’t do much. Jai Jackson was far better but not mentioned as was Rivers.

I caught the second half live and will have a look through the replay later.

Good size crowd and WA picked a strong team for the expected conditions. As others have mentioned Dev Robertson and Liam Henry were the ones to stand out most for me.

I liked what I saw of Elijah Taylor who got a pump up from the Talent Manager last week on the road to the draft podcast as well.

Watched the WA boys closer than the Vic's but what stuck out to me in difficult conditions was the one touch and clean hands from the WA team.

Worked smarter and harder as a team than the Metro boys as well.

Loved the fact that I could go out to the huddle at 3/4 time as well. Any champs games I've attended previously its been out of bounds but that probably depends where the game is being played at also.

Vic Metro
-Rowell and Anderson started slow but worked well into game. Both good without being outstanding.
-Mott, very good game. Really like him.
-Butler will be a star, lovely kick, speed and vision.
-Bianco, flashed in and out. But he doesn't waste a possession. Love to see him play off a wing a bit more.
-McAnsey looks very good at chb, reads the ball coming in well.

WA
-Garcia looks zippy, tough and damaging.
-Robertson worked hard in close, not quite what I thought pre game after reports I read.
-Sharp is another who flashes in and out but looks good when he has it, kicking is very good.
-Warner, regularly lined up against Rowell or Anderson and beat them in every one on one. Some strong tackling on Rowell, didn't have huge disposals but like to see him against other teams.
-Jackson, so athletic he actually looks like another midfielder when the ball drops. Should be a high draft pick as you have lots to work with.

Yeah he was very good, lined up on Rowell most times and beat him in the contest. But of Redden about him.
I thought he looked lost at times and panicked a bit when he found the ball. He may be good defensively and a strong tackler but he'd have to sharpen up his skills and decision making with the ball to have any chance. it was weird as the first game summary which came out had him named as one of the best on the AFL site but that has since changed.

Gee not an easy task keeping tabs on the reputed number 1 junior player in Aust first up....perhaps sacrificed displaying his attacking attributes for all to see for the betterment of the team....

Maybe
Gee not an easy task keeping tabs on the reputed number 1 junior player in Aust first up....perhaps sacrificed displaying his attacking attributes for all to see for the betterment of the team....
maybe. Not sure if he was in sacrifice mode when he actually had the ball in his hands. Just looked panicked. Maybe he was nervous. Hope he finds his feet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back