Analysis Round 1 - What Did You Learn?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's harder and faster again this year and bodies break because of this.
The only negative to the best game in the world.
Blokes that have given to the game what Swanny have deserve to go out on their own terms.

A simple little thread to post what you learned or surprised you from round one.

For me it reinforced that footy is now a young, forward thinking man's game at a coaching level. In hindsight the Malthouse appointment was one that hurt because he surrounded himself with old school people and thinking which cannot work in the modern game. It changes and progresses so quickly from season to season that you you don't keep up and in fact be ahead of the curve tactically you will die a slow and painful death. I also think this stunted our player development and hope this year will allow players like Graham, Boekhorst, Jaksch, Buckley, Tutt, Whiley etc can really come on this season.

What hindsight? I think we all knew it was a bad decision to appoint Mick right from the beginning.

It's harder and faster again this year and bodies break because of this.
The only negative to the best game in the world.
Blokes that have given to the game what Swanny have deserve to go out on their own terms.

Well it happened to Judd last year and the filth supporters were more than happy to sink the boots in.

Ideally, yes but they didn't want Fev, (was my understanding anyway).
Fev for Judd would have been pretty much a straight swap. The wimp come east wanted an early pick as well. And trading the reigning Coleman medalist and pick 3 for Judd would have been way overs.

They would have taken the offer and run away giggling... remembering that Judd had shot groins at that point and had lost his massive burst of speed in 2006.

Fev for Judd would have been pretty much a straight swap. The wimp come east wanted an early pick as well. And trading the reigning Coleman medalist and pick 3 for Judd would have been way overs.

They would have taken the offer and run away giggling... remembering that Judd had shot groins at that point and had lost his massive burst of speed in 2006.

if that straight swap was an option.... wow.

i learnt that this unity thing can work.
  • coaches have got the modern game plan operating in 6 months - bolts' teaching methods are effective
  • players have bought in - good effort and team oriented play
  • SOS and gang have improved the list - and we haven't seen everyone on the park yet
there's still a way to go e.g. game plan and skill execution over 4 quarters, but i enjoyed watching the footy, and thought there was pride in the jumper and collective contributions again. it was a good, positive start to the year.

[insert gif: weiters on draft day beginning to treasure the CFC]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I learnt thy shouldn't make prognostications about round 1 debutants in future years...
It was a s**t call sandwiched between some good ones.

There were so many positives to come out of round one for us.
Many people have said " the Tigers took the points" but "Carlton has won the respect".
I'm loving the high possession share the footy style footy that Bolts has us playing.
Can't remember the last time we had so many players getting good possession numbers, it really shows that we play as team and don't rely on any one player.
Love the noticeably harder edge we are playing with. The playing group wanting to show a united front, about bloody time.
If that was game one of our rebuild/reset, then we are track extremely well.

These are the positives I took out of the game.

Gibbs and Kruez nailing Cotchin with a ripper tag team tackle.:D
Was just great to see that aggression being shown early on, showed we were up for the fight.

Murphy absolutely smashing Cotchin head to head. :rolleyes:
Our skipper is all class and looks set for a big year.
27 possessions @82.5% 7 Marks 6 Tackles 3 Clearances 6 I50's 1 Goal 1 GA from just 73% TOG
Great to see him being used more on the outside now, with Cripps and Kerridge doing more of the contested stuff.

Cripps was massive for the first 3 quarters, he'll be better for the run. Still his number are impressive.
27 possessions 17 contested @74%:eek: 10 clearances :eek: 3 Tackles and 1 goal. 84% TOG
The goal Cripps kicked was a really special team goal, loved the way we moved the ball by hand.

Gibbs was great to see him playing a more outside role like Murphy.
Looks much more like the 2014 BnF version of Gibbs.
30 possessions 7 contested @70% also had 7 Tackles and kick 1 goal. :thumbsu:

Kerridge is really important to our midfield set up. Does the heavy lifting with Crippa
24 possessions 10 contested @70% 6 Clearances 7 I50's 86% TOG

Touhy looks like his picking up where he left off last year. If anything he looks a bit quicker and his kicking may have gotten slightly better.
18 possessions @88% 5 Marks 6 I50's 2 GA 88% TOG

Weitering. Talk about being thrown in at the deep end. First game ever In front 75.000 people at the G.
The kid absolutely nails it his debut. Love the kid's perfectly weighted drop punts, gets the ball back spinning perfectly.
17 possessions @ 94.5.:eek: Marks 7 contested 3 TOG 81%

Doc. That was the best kicking game I've ever seen Doc play. :thumbsu:
29 possessions 8 contested @83% 6 Marks 3 Tackles 84%TOG

Graham another player who has stepped up into our midfield rotation.
24 possessions @78% 7 Marks 3 Tackles 5 I50's 88%TOG
Is a better kick then his given credit for.:thumbsu:

Lamb and Wright were great at putting pressure on and locking the footy in our forward half.
Really surprised with what they produced, was very impressed.
Wright ended up kicking 3 goals and having 5 shots on goal.
Not fancy but plays his role and does the team thing. :thumbsu:

Boekhorst can really pass the footy. That pass to Walks was a bullet.:thumbsu:
Liked his game and he will get better as the season goes on.
15 possessions @73% 6 Marks 3 Tackles 5 I50's

Walker moved better then I've seen for years. Just seems so obvious he best position is as a forward.
Looks like Bolts will play him there for the year. :)

Kruezer looks like his building for a big year. Moving really well. Will be fine if he can stay healthy.
10 possessions @70% 4 Tackles 3 Clearances 16 HO 68% TOG :confused:

Phillips really liked what he brings to the team. He can jump 21 hit outs. His not a bad mark can kick and not a snail out around the ground. Plenty to work with. TOG 67 % :confused:

Last edited:
I'll tell you what I've learnt, and take a screenshot of this post because it will one day reveal that I am a genius, years ahead of my time...

Within the next few years, football will revert to the traditional 6 backs, 6 mids, 6 forwards. With actual wingmen, stay at home forwards, and players playing an actual position. Zones, presses, clusters, webs etc will be a thing of the past.

BECAUSE: too many sides are being scored heavily on over the back, too many zones are being broken down and there is nowhere left to take this form of game plan. Also, the ultimate exponent of this tactic, the team that has taken it to the enth degree is Freo. How's that worked out for them.

I have no issue with the modern game, I love the footy, I watch 12 games a week, one of which I coach. But believe me when I say, the next few years will see it revert to a far more traditional style of play.

I'll tell you what I've learnt, and take a screenshot of this post because it will one day reveal that I am a genius, years ahead of my time...

Within the next few years, football will revert to the traditional 6 backs, 6 mids, 6 forwards. With actual wingmen, stay at home forwards, and players playing an actual position. Zones, presses, clusters, webs etc will be a thing of the past.

When they bring back the Scanlens footy cards, they'd better have them in their proper positions.

Utility..........pfft

BECAUSE: too many sides are being scored heavily on over the back, too many zones are being broken down and there is nowhere left to take this form of game plan. Also, the ultimate exponent of this tactic, the team that has taken it to the enth degree is Freo. How's that worked out for them.

I have no issue with the modern game, I love the footy, I watch 12 games a week, one of which I coach. But believe me when I say, the next few years will see it revert to a far more traditional style of play.
Can they bring back anonymous umpires that don't think the game is their for them while they are at it?

Can they bring back anonymous umpires that don't think the game is their for them while they are at it?
I just need to get razor Ray in a dark alley with no CCTV camera's in the vicinity and I am quite certain that he would quickly revert to being anonymous :D

Especially with the promise of a bigger kicking next time he tries to make himself the centre of the game.

I just need to get razor Ray in a dark alley with no CCTV camera's in the vicinity and I am quite certain that he would quickly revert to being anonymous :D

Especially with the promise of a bigger kicking next time he tries to make himself the centre of the game.
Do it soon, because he is going to cost someone a premiership one day because he thinks he's the star of the show. And that would be a tragedy....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back