Analysis Round 1 - What Did You Learn?

Remove this Banner Ad

It reassured me that my belief that we aren't as bad as everyone has made us out to be looks accurate (still won't be in finals contention this year)
Richmond need some lift/work from their 2nd teir players and youngsters before they can break into the top 4 (don't think hardwick is the man to take them further but that's a separate issue)

Weitering looks like a natural footballer but we need to be prepared for him to be beaten a few times early in his career. Seems like the right pick up though.

Cripps looks good again don't want him to be a 1-2 year wonder.

Players look like they want to be out there. Chasing and want to be first to ball was there.

If we're serious about building a strong team Levi needs to go and we need to remedy the forward 50 this off season before we develop the rest of the field too far and we're playing catch up again.

I'm ready for some good wins and sad losses this year....

Please please please beat essendon.

Levi does not "need to go"

KPF's that can take contested marks are gold.

Coaches just need to get his kicking sorted out

I learned that if you are a young Carlton mid who dominates the comp in your second season, you shouldn't hold your breath on the rising star award as there may be a young Key position player who logically deserves it ahead of you as kp players are more deserving...

But of course if you're a young Carlton kp player who dominates his first game of afl, then this rule of thumb no longer exists and the award will no doubt be handed to a young mid from another club

I learned that if you are a young Carlton mid who dominates the comp in your second season, you shouldn't hold your breath on the rising star award as there may be a young Key position player who logically deserves it ahead of you as kp players are more deserving...

But of course if you're a young Carlton kp player who dominates his first game of afl then this rule of thumb no longer exists, and the award will no doubt be handed to a young mid from another club

Runner up 2016 NAB Rising star award
Jacob Weitering
Winner 2016 NAB Rising star award
Clayton Oliver.....the irony!

Can they bring back anonymous umpires that don't think the game is their for them while they are at it?
Never gonna happen, unfortunately...
They're alive & well running around in the TAC Cup competition. No fuss, no grandstanding, just call the game as they see it.

They're alive & well running around in the TAC Cup competition. No fuss, no grandstanding, just call the game as they see it.
Please fast track them into the AFL senior comp asap!

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, but what I learned from round 1 was about who didn't play. I'm talking about Chris Yarran and Troy Menzel. Then there's Henderson who didn't do all that much. It's one one thing to be bold with the ball, it's another to be bold with the list. Further evidence in the quality effort from SOS last October.

Weitering was a clear standout for mine - he had 8 touches in the third quarter alone. He pressured, intercepted and instigated counterattacks from half back; he linked up and got involved in the play. He took a huge contested in the last quarter. The longer the game went on the better he got. Forget Oliver, mids are a dime a dozen. Weitering is a once in generation talent, in the mould of a Matthew Scarlett.

The way we defended (particularly with tackling and harassment) to pressure the ball carrier was fantastic to see. Our ability to rebound from defence and be brave with the ball was also fantastic to watch.

If we can breed a couple of mids over the next couple of years (fingers crossed for cunners) we are going to be great in 2020.

I think its going to be a lot sooner than 2020 ... provided Bolton's game plan keeps pace with increasing innovation from other clubs. Remember MM's game plan was successful once .... just not for 20 years. This I believe is BB's biggest challenge to stay ahead of the opposition think tanks as well as solid recruiting.

I think its going to be a lot sooner than 2020 ... provided Bolton's game plan keeps pace with increasing innovation from other clubs. Remember MM's game plan was successful once .... just not for 20 years. This I believe is BB's biggest challenge to stay ahead of the opposition think tanks as well as solid recruiting.

From what we've heard & seen from Bolton and SOS, i think we can be pretty confident they are aware of this and can get the job done as good as anyone else could possibly do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I learned that Carlton are VERY lucky to have 2 young (under 25 gamers) who have slotted straight in and played like 150+ gamers still can't.

All the hype around Weitering and Cripps is well deserved I think. Both are lads that could be future captains (although I hate this concept - future co-captains?)

I've also learned that us Blues fans are very quick to write people off on out list. Admittedly, in an ideal system Casboult would be at best a second tall, more than likely he'd be a 3rd/ruck if he could get a game. But remember Blues fans, we aren't really in a position where we can be picking and choosing who we don't want to play any more. Sure, Cas has his issues, but who are we going to replace him with? Liam Jones? I'm sure the club realises that he is simply a stop-gap forward until someone else sticks there head up. He is the best available and is simply a body up forward. We all know this, but he is doing a good job for what he is. I know I'd rather have Casboult pull in a big pack mark, and miss the shot than the ball fall to ground and get rebounded out quickly, exposing our defence.

Also, Dylan Buckley. He is exactly the type of guy the club needs. A guy who is as passionate a Carlton man as there ever has been. He puts his body on the line (I saw him 2 or 3 times front up to Jack Riewoldt, who do you reckon came up second best?) like only probably Kade Simpson does. Does he need to improve his consistency? Absolutely. His best is game breaking. His worst is, well.. 3 possessions.

The love for Gibbs has been underwhelming. His game was reminiscent of his 2014 form. Not only did he have 30 disposals and a goal, but most promising was he had 7 tackles. This seems like the Gibbs we've all been clamouring for. Be harder edged, not just float around. Great game by Gibbs.

In fact, great game by most. Especially a certain small statured man with a teaching background.

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, but what I learned from round 1 was about who didn't play. I'm talking about Chris Yarran and Troy Menzel. Then there's Henderson who didn't do all that much. It's one one thing to be bold with the ball, it's another to be bold with the list. Further evidence in the quality effort from SOS last October.

Weitering was a clear standout for mine - he had 8 touches in the third quarter alone. He pressured, intercepted and instigated counterattacks from half back; he linked up and got involved in the play. He took a huge contested in the last quarter. The longer the game went on the better he got. Forget Oliver, mids are a dime a dozen. Weitering is a once in generation talent, in the mould of a Matthew Scarlett.

The way we defended (particularly with tackling and harassment) to pressure the ball carrier was fantastic to see. Our ability to rebound from defence and be brave with the ball was also fantastic to watch.

Without the d***head attitude

That while we have a very inexperienced side, we still have a strong core in Murphy, Gibbs and Kreuzer, all of which can be the difference in a tight game. I think that a lot of supporters got so caught up in the rebuild talk that we almost forgot what these guys can do on their day. Add Cripps into that group and suddenly we have a strong midfield.

Have learned we've now got less sooks in the team than the last 10 years, and more players who are willing to work hard when they don't have the ball.

#Henderson #Yarran #Menzel #Thornton #Garlett #Laidler
#fev

#Controversial

GLASS%20MCCASKER%20%20Jesse.png

Jesse Glass-McCasker

Runner up 2016 NAB Rising star award
Jacob Weitering
Winner 2016 NAB Rising star award
Clayton Oliver.....the irony!
There's no real mystery why Melbourne players are being favoured. Melbourne is one of the AFLs pet projects. They've given them Roos and a ton of admin support. If they can give them free publicity via awards like the Rising star they'll do so. This year the winner will come from one of their pet project clubs as it generally does lately (Melbourne, GWS, Gold Coast, Sydney or Brisbane).

There's no real mystery why Melbourne players are being favoured. Melbourne is one of the AFLs pet projects. They've given them Roos and a ton of admin support. If they can give them free publicity via awards like the Rising star they'll do so. This year the winner will come from one of their pet project clubs as it generally does lately (Melbourne, GWS, Gold Coast, Sydney or Brisbane or *).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back