Review Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow reading half these comments has forced me to go back and watch the replay for the 2nd time.
Fogerty was not one of our better players. show some good signs but his impact was not good enough to warrant a game next week if Lynch or Walker are Fit.
But what I am surprised at, is how we can condemn Betts for flying high for marks but completely miss the simple fact that when Gov and Fog went for the high contested marks Essendon received the ball ran away and scored. Fog and Gov both spoiled each other and any other Forward close to them. Neither is a CHF or FF. until they develop more. Both are will be good at that 3/4 tall spot.
Crash and bang looks good, makes everyone think of the glory days, but these days all it does is allow's opposition easy ball out. Again proven several times on Friday night. I can understand why Pyke does not like that style of play.
Did anyone notice that when Belchambers was killing Jacobs, Pyke put JJ in the middle and we started to win the centre and stoppages?.
Because that's the reason you run with 2 players capable of influencing the ruck. JJ may not have won the ruck but he basically stopped the taps to advantage Essendon were getting.
Crows had too many players not getting their hands on the ball, and unfortunately, 2 of the worse offenders were 2 debuts, in Fogerty and Murthy.
We lost the game with easy outs of our forward line and a midfield that did not click.

Anyone notice the missed chances in the last quarter. that cost us a momentum change. the Greenwood one was a bad one.

Last edited:
Umpiring terrible, heaps of key outs, delayed preseason, playing away against an reasonable opposition... far from panic stations.
Expect top four. Best of luck for the rest of the season. Port can fair dinkum GAGF.
Much appreciated, thanks, loved the Port comment.

Don't be a tool, mate
You've mistaken attempted humour for toolness --- I was amused by the "pop by" and thought I'd reply in kind, but in fairness should have added ";)" at the end.

We looked rusty early, came good but spent all our tickets in the third. Shouldn't have lost, but if we had kicked a few easy ones (Jenkins set shot, Eddie running into goal, Greenwoods dropped mark) we would have held on.

2 debutants in the forward line is a big change. Fog had great intent but got in the way of the other forwards at times. Slot a couple more senior players In and watch it click. Dust out the cobwebs and go hard next week.

Elephant in the room - the umpires. As tired as we were in the last and for all the skill errors, had it not been for the one sided umpiring that cost us goals at both ends of the ground, we still win that game - and against a team that was top 8 last year, was almost at full strength on their home deck with 3 key ins and all to play for, we still did enough to win and got chopped down by the umpires. After the GF debacle, how does the AFL see fit to put both Chamberlain and Parnell against us...what else did they think was going to happen other than one way free ride for essendon. I actually thought watching the game last night how many of the soft frees essendon got or the ones where we should have got the free and didn't that Richmond would have got had they been playing essendon rather than us

They were poor, but we still had chances to ice it in the last with a knackered forward line. Kick even 1 of those and we stop the momentum and win.

Doedee was fine, this comment is not bagging the kid.

But why on earth was Tom on James Stewart who was physically taller and stronger. He needed to be on Green and Kelly on Stewart.

I do not believe the official height on the AFL website. Having met both, Kelly is bigger and more capable to play on Steward than Doedee.

I was having Massie on Franklin flashbacks all night.

Elephant in the room - the umpires. As tired as we were in the last and for all the skill errors, had it not been for the one sided umpiring that cost us goals at both ends of the ground, we still win that game - and against a team that was top 8 last year, was almost at full strength on their home deck with 3 key ins and all to play for, we still did enough to win and got chopped down by the umpires. After the GF debacle, how does the AFL see fit to put both Chamberlain and Parnell against us...what else did they think was going to happen other than one way free ride for essendon. I actually thought watching the game last night how many of the soft frees essendon got or the ones where we should have got the free and didn't that Richmond would have got had they been playing essendon rather than us
We did get the pointy end of it (non paid mark to doedee, but similar s**t at the other end paid? WTF?).
Still, we got the dodgy 50m penalties for goals. They did not.

It's been a problem for years that our list management have refused to confront.

Giving Jenkins a 3/4 million dollar contract was utterly negligent.
Well given JJ is on under $550K it makes your post utterly negligent. ;)

But why on earth was Tom on James Stewart who was physically taller and stronger. He needed to be on Green and Kelly on Stewart.

I do not believe the official height on the AFL website. Having met both, Kelly is bigger and more capable to play on Steward than Doedee.

Similar size really and the way Kelly played he would have been flogged

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ideally we would play Keath when the opposition have 3 bigger forwards like the Dons... but he is injured. The other alternative was to bring in Otten, but that would make out defence too slow.

"Pop by"?? From when/where, the 18th Century? o_O
Bad luck had nothing to do with it. 20 points up at 3/4 time, game was ours to win. Kudos to Worsfold for getting your blokes to run and run in last quarter; ours ran out of puff.
It was an awful game to watch, full of errors, your goalkicking should've had you up by 5 goals at half-time. Our fumbling, bombing out of defence and also into forward 50 was horrendous/panicky. Hampton/Jenkins error was symptomatic of underdone ineptitude and lack of player communication.

Stick to commenting on your own players, mate, whom you see more of than us.
JJ has a history --- of soft efforts, inability to get the ball out of traffic (ex-basketballer, doesn't have a footy-players' reflexes or brain) and a lack of tough support for teammates.

Now do pop off, there's a good chap.
We want to encourage friendly opposition supporters & this type of post only gives our board a bad name.

Clean up your act!

Anyone notice the missed chances in the last quarter. that cost us a momentum change. the Greenwood one was a bad one.
There were 2 at least. Greenwood and Douglas. To be fair though neither were gimmies, on a better night one or both may have gone through and iced the game for us but they both went the wrong way.
That's the way it goes sometimes.

There were 2 at least. Greenwood and Douglas. To be fair though neither were gimmies, on a better night one or both may have gone through and iced the game for us but they both went the wrong way.
That's the way it goes sometimes.
Eddie also mised a goal that he would have kicked 95 times oit of 100. Hopefully he responds soon.

Exactly.

Eddie Flying at least gives us something when our other tarrgets are cooked and/or Jenkins. He was the only forward the presented a genuine option through the middle late in the game, with Fog playing deep.
At least he's competitive in the air

Rather than criticise it maybe we should treat him as a competive aerial option and drop one of the tall guys that doesn't compete in air and bring in more pressure appliers

At least he's competitive in the air

Rather than criticise it maybe we should treat him as a competive aerial option and drop one of the tall guys that doesn't compete in air and bring in more pressure appliers
The issue is and always has been he never grabs them and he's our best crumbling option.

He has to assess the situation better, if Gov is around them he stays on the ground

If one of Gov's or Greenwood's goals go through in the last I reckon we had enough to win. If we were back to 20 points up with 8 minutes to play we would've clamped right down. Instead we missed, they goaled, brought it to 3 points, and we had to score again.

We stuffed it up. Lucky it's Round 1.

If one of Gov's or Greenwood's goals go through in the last I reckon we had enough to win. If we were back to 20 points up with 8 minutes to play we would've clamped right down. Instead we missed, they goaled, brought it to 3 points, and we had to score again.

We stuffed it up. Lucky it's Round 1.
Massive over reactions going on

Nearly won , had debutants and new players and looked underdone

Played a more than handy side at Etihad in front of 45k home fans and barely won a centre clearance all night

Had underdone greenwood , sauce injured ? Talia in doubt all day

World not collapsing

Failure is feedback

Massive over reactions going on

Nearly won , had debutants and new players and looked underdone

Played a more than handy side at Etihad in front of 45k home fans and barely won a centre clearance all night

Had underdone greenwood , sauce injured ? Talia in doubt all day

World not collapsing

Failure is feedback

We could've had a warm and fuzzy win over a bottom team and not learned a thing.

We could've had a warm and fuzzy win over a bottom team and not learned a thing.
Yeah exactly - we got alot out of last night

Feedback re Doedee and Fog going to be AFL players

CEY and Hampton won't be

We need to keep getting fitter

We need to sort out our centre bounce clearances

Gibbs will get better once he gels , he was still very handy !

Forward line structure , personnel and form needs improvement

Fog has to play next week. People who are assessing his performance like you’d assess a 100-gamer are missing the point.

If everyone is fit I would drop one of the senior forwards next week. Don’t ask me who, you won’t like the answer.

Fogarty > Jenkins.

I wouldn't care in the slightest if Jenkins was dropped

Remove this Banner Ad

Back