Preview Round 10 – Essendon vs GWS Giants, Friday 7th August 2020, Metricon Stadium, 7.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Well, we got the chocolates against the Suns. We had to if we were serious about the rest of the season.

It was a real team effort, with seven individual goal kickers and uniform effort across the board. As expected we benefited enormously from the return of Zac Williams, who was clearly among our BOG. We just look far more balanced across the ground when he plays.

Moving forward, the question will be who replaces Toby and Matt de Boer, both out with hamstring injuries. I can't see them returning until Round 13 at the earliest, because while there's a bye round this season, it's not a full week off. Round 10 is Friday August 7th, Round 11 is the "bye", and Round 12 against the Swans is on Thursday August 13th. So until Round 13, whenever that is, I suspect we’ll see Ward and Kennedy recalled, as both got through unscathed in the scratch match against the Swans the other day. Another candidate for consideration might be Tom Green.

Now for Friday night, again at Metricon.

Remember Round 15 last season? How could you forget, when we let the Bombers kick six final term goals and snatch victory with just five seconds left? Being acquainted with a couple of insufferable Essendon fans, I’m still having nightmare flashbacks over it.

But Essendon were creamed by Brisbane the other evening. They’ll welcome back Kyle Langford from suspension to play us, but have a long injury list, and their big-name outs – Ambrose, Daniher, Fantasia, Heppell, and Stringer – are weeks away. They are way down on scoring power and our backline at least should be too good for them.

To be blunt, there won’t be any excuse for us losing this game, and I don’t think we will. Touch wood.

Are we now back on track?

Obviously Ward comes in.

Langdon may be omitted and Caldwell and Ash maybe managed. (but probably not both)

I think Jacobs was quite important for us on the weekend an holds Mumford out.

Green, Hately, XOH, Hill and even Buckly come into consideration.

not all of that will happen at once.

I think Essendon are starting to unravel a little and we should get them. but things change quickly!

I'm hoping we bring in XOH and use him as a pressure forward (similar to role Caldwell & De Boer played at times vs Suns)
O'Halloran or Buckley the most like for like for Toby's position.

Ward a certainty for DeBoer's spot.

Interesting whether Cogs plays a run with role on Shiel.

I think we will manage a few players each game over the next few weeks. Hard to tell who as it would likely be anyone who pulls up sore

I would be surprised if it is just the two changes for injury

Wins are needed for the rest of the season although with most teams not really having a home advantage tipping is harder than usual

Bombers in the same boat although not sure on injuries who is effected more although I dont think the bombers have the depth and experience on the list and with Daniher, Fantasia and Stringer out avenues to goal are limited so shutting down Tippa and Saad will be important to get the win

Ward definitely back in and then it could be Hately/Green or/and Sheridan although Sheridan missed the previous reserves hit out, I dont think this is the weeks for a debut with the experience coming out for this game

Shame that Kennedy is only 1 game back from what seems to have been a very long absence and also Reid not back although with the condensed fixture I am sure they will see game time and will need to hit the ground running to hold a spot

My team would be

Shaw Davis Haynes
Williams Keefe Perryman
Kelly Coniglio Ward
Langdon Cameron Whitfield
Daniels HH TOJ
Jacobs Hopper Taranto
Ash Corr Caldwell Hately

With the loss of experience in Greene and MDB I can see selection trying to ensure not too many young players are in the team and with the 1 1st year player in Ash and 2 2nd years in Caldwell and Hately it is a good balance and I also view Daniels and Langdon as inexperienced and not fully developed despite this being the 3rd year on the list and Langdon as a mature pick up they still have to develop game sense and also size as the opposition break tackles too easily from them and this inside 50 defensive pressure is an area the team has been criticized for for several years and with good reason IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the Essendon board match preview:

Just thinking about the pounding that the GWS midfield is going to give our group of frontrunning short people is making me horny.

:eek:

giphy.gif

Hi guys. Not sure how arousing i find it but your midfield will certainly be able to whatever it wants out there.
Is O'Halloran a direct replacement up fwd for Greene or will he be rolling through the mid rotation?
I'm going to guess and suggest he'll probably play a HFF-style role, but then that's what Toby was doing 50% of the time anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back