AFL Autopsy Round 10: 15 Point Loss To Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

What? Geelong's 2009 midfield of Ablett, Corey, Selwood, Bartel, Chapman, Ling, Kelly was the best in the past decade. Collingwood's 2010 of Pendlebury, Swan, Thomas, Didak, Ball, Beams, Sidebottom was also pretty good. In fact I'd have taken Sydney's 2016 midfield of Parker, Kennedy, Mitchell, Hannebery, Jack, McVeigh, Heeney, Lloyd ahead of the Dogs.
So now you wan't to argue about midfields?

As I said the "Ross Lyon" form of defensive structure football hasn't yielded results yet.

Usually teams like Richmond that lack class adopt it to appease the supporter base.

To me what stands out in that 3 peat was the ability to hit targets by foot under pressure. Not being able to hit targets by hand and foot under pressure is what cost us on Saturday night. The manic tackling was there against the WC. The ability to hit targets is a bit hit and miss this year but hopefully will become more consistent as the younger players develop and serial offenders are gradually sifted out of the team.
That's correct.

It has proven throughout history that you have to have a combination of good offence as well as defensive structures.

I will back the direction we are going in any day over a complete defensive side like Richmond are becoming.

So now you wan't to argue about midfields?

As I said the "Ross Lyon" form of defensive structure football hasn't yielded results yet.

Usually teams like Richmond that lack class adopt it to appease the supporter base.
I've moved on from your somewhat perplexing dismissal that the Dogs weren't a high pressing team last season, and looked at the fact that you think the Bulldogs good midfield last year was better than Geelong's elite one of 2009 or Collingwood's of 2010's.

I've moved on from your somewhat perplexing dismissal that the Dogs weren't a high pressing team last season, and looked at the fact that you think the Bulldogs good midfield last year was better than Geelong's elite one of 2009 or Collingwood's of 2010's.
I can understand why it would be perplexing to you.

In every Grand Final that I can remember.

Successful teams have a balance of defence and attack.

The fox footy premiership quadrant narrows down the real contenders every year.

16 of the last 17 premiers averaged a 100 points for.
16 of the last 17 premiers averaged <86 points against.

Only 3 or 4 teams usually make it in to the top left quadrant in a season.

The fox footy premiership quadrant narrows down the real contenders every year.

16 of the last 17 premiers averaged a 100 points for.
16 of the last 17 premiers averaged <86 points against.

Only 3 or 4 teams usually make it in to the top left quadrant in a season.
That's right.

Richmond just doesn't have enough class going forward and they struggle.

They would need to finish top four to have even a remote chance and I think that would be totally unrealistic.

Geelong and Collingwoods midfield were better top end talent wise, the doggies though we're probably the deepest.

meaning they had 12 guys running through the midfield regularly (also had Wallis out and Boyd down back) and probably every player that wasn't over 195cm able to run through the midfield and positively contribute.

In saying that talent wins out, would take Collingwoods, geelong or hawthorns premiership midfield over the doggies any day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is a lot of confusing ability to defend, attack and kick with a game plan.

This started because Killer_Mike said that our game plan would stack up better in finals than Richmond's

If you're saying that we can get away with sub quality contested work and win finals because the game plan will stack up you're mistaken.

Hawthorn may have been able to coast through seasons on the back of their skills but they would step up their contested work dramatically in finals. Their GFs against Sydney and West Coast were next level in that regard.

There is a lot of confusing ability to defend, attack and kick with a game plan.

This started because Killer_Mike said that our game plan would stack up better in finals than Richmond's

If you're saying that we can get away with sub quality contested work and win finals because the game plan will stack up you're mistaken.

Hawthorn may have been able to coast through seasons on the back of their skills but they would step up their contested work dramatically in finals. Their GFs against Sydney and West Coast were next level in that regard.
Our team is a work in progress. We are far from the finished article but long term the direction we are going will produce far greater results.

Damien Hardwick is in his 8th(?) season and has gone into self preservation.

Stop trying to rewrite history to suit your argument.

Geelong and Collingwoods midfield were better top end talent wise, the doggies though we're probably the deepest.

meaning they had 12 guys running through the midfield regularly (also had Wallis out and Boyd down back) and probably every player that wasn't over 195cm able to run through the midfield and positively contribute.

In saying that talent wins out, would take Collingwoods, geelong or hawthorns premiership midfield over the doggies any day
Ablett, selwood, ling, johnson, chapman, corey, bartel, kelly, varcoe, stokes, rooke, enright, mackie... i reckon if you look at geelong's grand final teams you'll find a dozen quality players who went through the midfield.

Hi Guys - Just dropping in to not rub salt in the wounds but commend you on a classic rivalry that has sparked up again, Excited for more battles ahead.

I fíng love that kid McGrath! What a superstar he will be to come! All the best to we meet again in hopefully September(even bigger crowd then sat night) but if neither of us make it see you at dreamtime 2018!(stupid that we dont play again in H&A this year)

Andrew Lovett looks like he could still play haha

DA3xRM3UMAAHzZr.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back