Review Round 10, 2017 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We've been very fortunate to escape the wooden spoon in the past few years, absolutely no escaping it this year.

17 competitive teams and than us, honestly punters would back us to not win another game for the year than to pick up another win.

The biggest concern as a supporter is we've been s**t for so many years and with a young list we're still guaranteed to be s**t for at least another 2 years.

All I want to do is be able to look forward to a game of footy on the weekend, instead it's who is going to belt us this weekend?

Losing the concessions and Gold Coast coming in killed us, trading for Fev got the process moving a bit quicker and the GH5 put the final dirt on the coffin.

We've been very fortunate to escape the wooden spoon in the past few years, absolutely no escaping it this year.

17 competitive teams and than us, honestly punters would back us to not win another game for the year than to pick up another win.

The biggest concern as a supporter is we've been s**t for so many years and with a young list we're still guaranteed to be s**t for at least another 2 years.

All I want to do is be able to look forward to a game of footy on the weekend, instead it's who is going to belt us this weekend?

Losing the concessions and Gold Coast coming in killed us, trading for Fev got the process moving a bit quicker and the GH5 put the final dirt on the coffin.
What shits me is its about a 6-7 year cycle from good to s**t and back to good again. It's going to take us double that.

It could've been a lot worse. We had a lot of youngens out there today, they did well under the circumstances.

They had a go..made lots of silly mistakes, not just the young ones, but still, at the MCG, raining, bigger crowd and a Pie crowd at that, they could've just given up after the first few minutes. Could've been total intimidation. It wasn't.

We're getting there, can't expect them to work wonders in half a season.

Beams
Zorko
Cutler
Clugga
Mcstay

Best 5 for mine. Thought 4/5 were obvious and backed Clugga because he really put in, had 19 disposals (7 contested). 15 pressure acts (as an outside mid) and 400+ meters gained. Given the weather etc it probably didn't look pretty but he did damn well given how undersized he is.

Overall I don't think we played that bad. Silly mistakes lead to turnover goals as usual but the effort and development is there. These young guys need time and if they stick around they'll get it + some A grade development coaches (Fagan and his team).

I am so sick of seeing losses like this, but it is pivotal we stay positive.

Hopefully Sandi is still out for us against Freo they looked in all sorts against Adelaide and having Rocky back most likely will help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do we not bother with a vent thread this year because there aren't enough non-vent threads?

McClug and Berry showed heaps.

Hipwood showed he'll be a star when he can play more than 1 or 2 quarters.

Barrett and McStay played their roles well.

Zorko and D Beams were great for 3 quarters. Looking forward to having Rocky back.

Cutler, NRobbo and Mayes were ok.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beams
Zorko
Cutler
Clugga
Mcstay

Best 5 for mine. Thought 4/5 were obvious and backed Clugga because he really put in, had 19 disposals (7 contested). 15 pressure acts (as an outside mid) and 400+ meters gained. Given the weather etc it probably didn't look pretty but he did damn well given how undersized he is.

Overall I don't think we played that bad. Silly mistakes lead to turnover goals as usual but the effort and development is there. These young guys need time and if they stick around they'll get it + some A grade development coaches (Fagan and his team).

I am so sick of seeing losses like this, but it is pivotal we stay positive.

I'd add Barrett. I'd wonder if missed tackles count as a pressure act because Clugg had a few without actually completing a tackle.

Skills are pathetic. Gardiner finally getting a bag scored on him so hopefully he gets the long awaited chop. No second tier midfield. Half the blokes who run out there cannot think their way through congestion at all and panic kick or handball to no one or most often Pies players. Pendlebury running around with no one on him. The one that annoys me the most is we offer ZERO defensive pressure from the forward half... BS

Only a few positives to take out from this game. The usual Zorko, and Beams. Ball movement at times looks really good but is something that can be easily coached against with a few minor changes. Some youngsters such as Berry and McCluggage played well in patches. All in all just another typical Lions game really.

Worst part for me was that Zorko and Beams both had excellent games, as did most of the 22 and under brigade, but a few repeat offenders let us down again. Lester was MIA, Bastinac made so many simple mistakes, Paparone struggled and Gardiner was good but gave away two undisciplined 50s that swung the momentum of the game.

Way too tall.

Smith only served to nullify Martin's impact and Hammer added very little. Hipwood needs a good rest. Walker and Close aren't brilliant but I thought they'd done enough to hold their spot and I'm confident they would have offered more than Smith and Hammer.

Gardiner still doing more dumb things than good. Lester and Bastinac were absolutely invisible.

Classic reliance on too few to do too much

Without Beams, that would have been a 100+ loss. Still not a fan of playing Martin, Smith and Hammelman all in the same team.
Especially a day like today we probably could have got away with only Martin if we had any decent small forwards.

Worst part for me was that Zorko and Beams both had excellent games, as did most of the 22 and under brigade, but a few repeat offenders let us down again. Lester was MIA, Bastinac made so many simple mistakes, Paparone struggled and Gardiner was good but gave away two undisciplined 50s that swung the momentum of the game.

Nitpicking but Gardiner is 22.

Way too tall.

Smith only served to nullify Martin's impact and Hammer added very little.

Yep, while Smith and McInerney both deserve games on form, I think they'll both have to wait until Martin gets injured/retires before they play seniors and we persist with Walker/Close/another tall to give a chop out in the meantime. Perhaps McInerney gets games next year if he's upgraded from the rookie list because he can at least contribute on the scoreboard, but in the meantime Martin's output drops right off when he's not the sole ruck and we can't afford to carry so many talls in a team that's already among the slowest in the comp.

Back