Review Round 10, 2017 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Went to the footy today, Carlton v Nth Melbourne. Carlton lost as most expected, but they had a red hot go. At one stage they had North on the ropes, having kicked 9 out of last 10 goals scored. They are currently 17th on the Ladder and they are miles ahead of us. It really is a 17 team competition with an additional team that is no competition at all.

One area I thought we would improve on under Fagan was our pressure on the ball carrier. Thought we would harass the opposition in packs and bring a high level of intensity to each game.

Thought our skills and decision making were going to take time until we got more games into the kids and recruited some more mature players to help develop the kids.

At the moment it's the same old same old and as much as I enjoy seeing some of the kids come on its a constant reminder of how far off success is with this team. I understand we don't have the experience and talent of most teams but to just leisurely stroll after the opposition regardless of your age is completely unacceptable.

Berry is my favourite player I've had at the Lions in a long time. Shows you don't have to be experienced to harass, tackle and put your body on the line. He embodies everything I want this club to stand for going forward. Love watching him player and can't wait to see him continue to grow and hopefully one day captain this great club.

Last edited:
Ryan Lester could have really, within the rules, physically smashed some opposition in a marking contest and chose not to.
Your Voss's the Scott brothers, mitch robsinsons, hodges.. anyone big bodied or not! would've put some or all body into a contest. Worst case give away a free or 50. Just does not have an angry bone or mongrel in him for a big bodied mid.

Was at Sea World today so only just watched the game. Different experience watching it delayed without getting geed up by BigFooty hysterics. Haven't read a single post about the game yet.

I was pretty despondent last week, but this week was actually quite pleasing for me in comparison. Geez you could see where the growth in our list is going to come from.

It's clear week-after-week that our young list can only play three quarters of footy at this point before more mature lists run over the top so I kinda mark our report card at 3 quarter time at the moment. Today we had 15 players under 22 to Collingwood's 5 - an incredible disparity. In light of that, to even qualify as mediocre, the Pies (even counting their inaccuracy) should have been up by 50 at 3 quarter time and then flat-tracked us into oblivion in the fourth. If Bundy, Rockliff and Mitch Robbo were out there to give us some more maturity and experience this could have been a very winnable game.

There were so many goals we conceded today that we simply wouldn't concede if we get our young guys through another 3 pre-seasons on the track and in the gym. Being able to chase just a little bit longer or physically stick the tackles more consistently will have a pretty transformative effect.

Beams and Zorko are marvels. Berry is legit. McCluggage gets in positions where can can be very dangerous but just panics a tad. Another 15-20 games and he is going to be very good. Nick Robbo has cemented himself in our best 22 for mine. Love his Energizer Bunny attitude.

Just keep adding class and depth to the midfield group over the next couple of pre-seasons and I think we're going to be in good shape down the road.

I could say more but I am buggered and need a nap before the Monaco GP.

Last edited:
Apparently even reviewing this game is a bit hard (normally more pages of review by now...)
I think caring is a bit hard right now. As 3KZ just said, the AFL is a 17-team competition and we're just like an extra wildcard from the NEAFL. We are so far off the pace it's not funny. Sure, kids, go home 5, coaching disasters, .... whatever. The fact is that we might not win another game until the end of the season when good teams start resting players for finals.

I do like how the positivity changes as the season goes on. The optimism leading into games and post games has gone from
"We'll win this one" to
"we're a sneaky chance" to
"they've go a few outs, we could get close" to
"I hope we're competitive"
"I'm just looking for effort".
"Any improvement would be good".
"As long as we keep the margin under 100".

By the end of the season, we'll be saying "I wonder if all 22 can find their way to the ground" or "If no-one dies, I'll be happy".

It was another *sigh* of a day. Collingwood missed plenty of easy goals and we took our chances. Even then, in the blink of an eye, it was 45 points. The disposal count was over 100 in difference.

Beams and Zorko were, as always, skillful and hardworking. McStay took some great defensive marks and I thought Barrett provided energy and defence pressure.

We had something like six set shots at goal. We seem to struggle to link up at the half forward to have quality inside 50s i.e. in the corridor and giving our forwards a chance. So often we kick it to the loose defender, or just kick it to space.

What made today so much more difficult to bare was the absolute garbage coming from the mouths of some of the Collingwood cabbages. Some people who were ungracious, ignorant and clueless. I wish people would remember it's everyone's day at the footy.

I do like how the positivity changes as the season goes on.
By the end of the season, we'll be saying "I wonder if all 22 can find their way to the ground" or "If no-one dies, I'll be happy".
Nailed it :D

All the talk of Walker/Close they can actually take an contested mark. You watch other teams they kick out to there KPF who is up the ground who marks. Kicks on or switches it and runs back into the forward line for the next mark.

Hippy tries and hardly gets beaten in marking contests although 2 marks (one fantastic) out of 20 odd chances. The ball hits the ground gets crumbed by someone in another jumper and heads back the way it came from. Not sure who is supposed to be at Hippy's feet although he seemed have 2-4 Magpies players around him.
So where where our players?

How many times did we kick out of defence just for hope. Then it comes back 2 seconds later

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went to the footy today, Carlton v Nth Melbourne. Carlton lost as most expected, but they had a red hot go. At one stage they had North on the ropes, having kicked 9 out of last 10 goals scored. They are currently 17th on the Ladder and they are miles ahead of us. It really is a 17 team competition with an additional team that is no competition at all.

Dont think so. Carlton actually still have a very experienced team and they havnt cleared the cupboard aa yet. Things will only get worse for them before it gets better, and 17th is not great, they should be doing even better with Gibbs, Murphy, Kruser, Simpson as examples.

Lions fielded 15 players under 22 and dont possess the same experience. I am happy with the progress of the team under Fagan, our second tier in Keays, Mathieson, Berry, McGluggage just lack the ability to run out games, but it will come.

scoman post: 50519671 said:
Dude seriously, dont underestimate our ability to go to a whole new level of crap.
Lalalalala... I'm happy with my hands over my eyes and my fingers in my ears (if that's physically possible). Leave me alone!

I didn't watch the game but I think a 45 point loss away from home is acceptable considering how young our team really is. I know the Pies aren't that great but I think they are better than their ladder position suggests. To fight back and be in it at the end of the 3rd quarter is promising.

Is anyone else worried about where our second KPF will come from if Schache leaves? Freeman, Close and Hammelmann haven't shown much at all, hopefully one of them can impose themselves at the AFL level before the year is out

Is anyone else worried about where our second KPF will come from if Schache leaves? Freeman, Close and Hammelmann haven't shown much at all, hopefully one of them can impose themselves at the AFL level before the year is out

No. Ballendon will be a gun and will be a lock in, and we have plenty of options across Close and McStay.

At least we have options if he does leave. KPF traditionally take a while to develop. The 3 blokes you named have all shown glimpses IMO. They could still develop as decent targets up forward. We've got Hipwood as the star up forward which is great for a future plus we've got a young kid in the academy who is supposed to be quite good.

All the talk of Walker/Close they can actually take an contested mark. You watch other teams they kick out to there KPF who is up the ground who marks. Kicks on or switches it and runs back into the forward line for the next mark.

Hippy tries and hardly gets beaten in marking contests although 2 marks (one fantastic) out of 20 odd chances. The ball hits the ground gets crumbed by someone in another jumper and heads back the way it came from. Not sure who is supposed to be at Hippy's feet although he seemed have 2-4 Magpies players around him.
So where where our players?

How many times did we kick out of defence just for hope. Then it comes back 2 seconds later
annoys me to no end. I think the forward line set up needs some serious work. Our talls love to play really deep and usually spoil each other... what hurts us most though is that our smalls are no where to be seen. Opposition get bruise free rebound literally 75% of the time or so it seems.

Well I guess if Schache goes we have the choice between Brander and Ballenden you would think with the extra picks. I rate Brander higher than Ballenden from what I've seen but we'd be fairly stupid to select him over Ballenden. Schache/Hipwood combo would be been perfect as they theoretically compliment each they extremely well but it seems that ship has sailed.

How ready is he though, the kid is 18?
It's not a rush to find that second key forward.. We need a midfield that is deep and filled with a combination of inside grunt and class with ball.. we should be drafting mids for the next two drafts predominately.. A team like the Bulldogs shows if you have an elite midfield you can win plenty of games.. The dogs have so many mids that they slide genuine midfielders into the forward and defence.. you can't have enough ball winners that use the ball well..

If hipwood keeps developing I am sure we can find another partner for him up forward as long as the midfield is genuine top 4 level

I was at the game. I thought we battled and tried and the 3rd quarter was inspiring. We have so many young players and you can see the bigger/hardened bodies on the Pies players and how hard it was for us to physically compete. Last year I didn't think we played as a team and remember players mouthing off at each other, today heard and saw Beams/Zorko encouraging others etc as I also did at the StKilda and Dogs game. Loved Eric's mark and Barrets goal. Matho tried his guts out and despite some mistakes hope he keeps his spot. Turn overs killed us , leaving players unmaned and lack of strong bodies in the backline was a problem. Saw the future in numerous players and despite the result and annoying Collingwood supporters saw enough for me to keep going to Melbourne games and to remain hopeful.

Back