Review Round 10, 2017 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Ryan Lester could have really, within the rules, physically smashed some opposition in a marking contest and chose not to.
Your Voss's the Scott brothers, mitch robsinsons, hodges.. anyone big bodied or not! would've put some or all body into a contest. Worst case give away a free or 50. Just does not have an angry bone or mongrel in him for a big bodied mid.
Lester, Bastinac and Paparone caused us to play 3 short.They must go..along with Bewick,C Beames and Harwood.There is enormous talent being kept out by these frauds of footballers. Its indisputable, that any 3 given young players from the reserves would have aided our cause better by half..say Allison,Cox,Witherdon, Lyons or Grewar....take your pick,not to mention Oscar.

I didn't watch the game but I think a 45 point loss away from home is acceptable considering how young our team really is. I know the Pies aren't that great but I think they are better than their ladder position suggests. To fight back and be in it at the end of the 3rd quarter is promising.
We were 10 points down in the last !

How many ******* years are Lester, Gardiner and Paparone going to stink up this list?

I was at the game. I thought we battled and tried and the 3rd quarter was inspiring. We have so many young players and you can see the bigger/hardened bodies on the Pies players and how hard it was for us to physically compete. Last year I didn't think we played as a team and remember players mouthing off at each other, today heard and saw Beams/Zorko encouraging others etc as I also did at the StKilda and Dogs game. Loved Eric's mark and Barrets goal. Matho tried his guts out and despite some mistakes hope he keeps his spot. Turn overs killed us , leaving players unmaned and lack of strong bodies in the backline was a problem. Saw the future in numerous players and despite the result and annoying Collingwood supporters saw enough for me to keep going to Melbourne games and to remain hopeful.
Agree....totally different to see the whole field....not just what the camera shows ....Elliott for example ,got perfect passes from players streaming unchecked through the corridor, and you could mark down the goals before the ball was even kicked forward.By the way....the ground was perfect, there was very little rain and the weather had no effect,evidence the scoring.We deparately need a fast small forward or two,and another goal kicker or two,I wonder if Zorko should play there and Mayes, when Rocky returns.The ball just flys out at present.....already mentioned Lester and Bastinac!!!

Lester, Bastinac and Paparone caused us to play 3 short.They must go..along with Bewick,C Beames and Harwood.There is enormous talent being kept out by these frauds of footballers. Its indisputable, that any 3 given young players from the reserves would have aided our cause better by half..say Allison,Cox,Witherdon, Lyons or Grewar....take your pick,not to mention Oscar.

We were 10 points down in the last !
We've no chance at playing finals this year. Would love to see Witherden get a game after the bye. His game should translate to AFL better than a few who played there today. Natural footballer.

I don't know how many times today we got caught ball watching or just out positioned.
We'd go inside 50, or close to. Then it would spit out the other side from a turnover or a quick rushed kick out only to find a Collingwood player on the chest.

50% could have been a bit of luck with the conditions but the other half was just plain and simple positioning errors.
Where should I be when I haven't got the ball type errors.

yes I rather play the kids. Bastinac and Bell not the future. Bewick, C Beams, Harwood had a chance.
I say Jansen run out of time and Walker being dropped does not show a future for him again.
We not playing finals so play them get some games into them. Although we will loose by a bigger margin each week.
Lester had one bad game normally he is stead not great just steady.
Archie adds a lot of energy although Martin plays worse with a friend not sure what you do there?

I went for Zorko, Beams, Berry, Robertson and McStay as our best and also thought McCluggage and Barrett were pretty good.

Zorko and Beams just have to carry too much of the midfield load, will change when Rocky comes back but we just don't have enough quality in there.

Stefan Martin has to go IMO, I have never been a big fan of him, he has been living off the back of 18 months of good footy a few years ago. Drops too many easy marks and squibs contests.

2 weeks to the next game but my immediate reaction would be-

Outs- Stefan Martin, Ryan Lester, Ryan Bastinac, Marco Paparone, Matthew Hammelmann.
Ins- Cedric Cox, Jonathan Freeman, Ryan Harwood (play as a small forward), Tom Rockliff, Jacob Allison.

I think that Fagan's three little pigs analogy was a pretty good one and probably suggests that more young guys will get exposure at the top level this season. And we will add quality to the list at the end of each season.

However, Fagan also seems like a fairly pragmatic coach. He knows we need to build the quality of the list but that opportunity happens once a year. Between each trade/draft period, we have to put a footy team on the field each week. The so called "dud" players are still here. You can't just ignore them, you just keep developing every single player, including the "duds."

So each week the coaches have an opportunity to build the capacity of this, the current list. And week to week, that is all they can do. Anyone who thinks it is different than this can't have ever coached any team in anything.

All the constant demands by some on here for players to be banished or not AFL standard, ignores the reality of what the coaches deal with, like it or not - the list in front of them at training each day. It also ignores the common decency that good coaches exercise toward ALL their players - to get the best out of each individual. Then they select a team to best balance out the sometimes competing demands of positional needs, experience, youth etc to cope with the next game yet also develop for the future.

Some on here seem to use the Donald Trump model of leadership - reduce everything to simple terms so the solutions seem easy. Build a wall, there is no climate change, get rid of the dud players - it's that simple! Unfortunately, no. This is going to take a long time, to build a house of bricks rather than straw.

At season's end, some will be moved on. Until then, they are Lions players and I would hope that our coaches work to develop and improve them till the day they go.

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but does anyone know why Beams was wearing 50 instead of 9 today?

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but does anyone know why Beams was wearing 50 instead of 9 today?

Did you also find your own players wearing different numbers confusing or no?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally gotten out of that fragile, depressive stage after a loss and looking back through some of the highlights there were just so many easy goals missed by simple mistakes made by young players (and bastinac). At any other club these goals, such as when the kick got smothered in our F50 then the handpass over (by i think was Robertson or Taylor) was again smothered, and Keays miskicked to Lester which would have opened up the corridor. In time, hopefully, these blemishes should be ironed out and we should take full advantage of these opportunities. But alas these are the problems you will face with a side with 70% of the squad being under the age of 22. The signs are there, and I know it becomes tiresome of hearing it, but we just have to be patient

50 years since the 1967 referendum to count Indigenous Australians in the census. A lot of indigenous players wore 67 this round as well.

50 years since Aboriginals got the vote.

Nope. That was 55 years ago.

I think now that the rest is here, we should put the ball in the players court - rest up, come to training all guns blazing and earn your spot against Freo. I think Freo are by no means shoe ins - especially after we get a rest in.

In terms of ins, I think we shouldn't go too crazy.

In: Rockliff, Witherden, Harwood
Out: Paparone, Smith, Berry/Matho/Lester/Keays

Get Harwood in as a small forward and see if he can replicate his game in the NEAFL. He was super impressive and normally I'd advocate a few weeks in the NEAFL before returning but reckon he worked his ass off and ticked many boxes.

Rocky is back in - hard to see who he replaces as I'd ultimately like to drop someone young but don't want to drop Matho.

Smith out as Martin is best solo. Reckon Smith and the Big O work well together so in the future two rucks are definitely possible. Just not now.

Withderden imo was the best I've seen him defensively and killed it offensively. Reckon he is worth giving a game now that he's regained fitness.

What shouldn't be lost from today is that this Pies team is 6yrs in the making and from the moves they made last year, a team which wants to contend for finals this year. They have been poor this year, but the experience is still there.

I think now that the rest is here, we should put the ball in the players court - rest up, come to training all guns blazing and earn your spot against Freo. I think Freo are by no means shoe ins - especially after we get a rest in.

In terms of ins, I think we shouldn't go too crazy.

In: Rockliff, Witherden, Harwood
Out: Paparone, Smith, Berry/Matho/Lester/Keays

Get Harwood in as a small forward and see if he can replicate his game in the NEAFL. He was super impressive and normally I'd advocate a few weeks in the NEAFL before returning but reckon he worked his ass off and ticked many boxes.

Rocky is back in - hard to see who he replaces as I'd ultimately like to drop someone young but don't want to drop Matho.

Smith out as Martin is best solo. Reckon Smith and the Big O work well together so in the future two rucks are definitely possible. Just not now.

Withderden imo was the best I've seen him defensively and killed it offensively. Reckon he is worth giving a game now that he's regained fitness.

Anyone who thinks Freo are terrible hasn't watched them play. They got pumped by the Crows but from the other games I've seen of theirs, they will kill us with speed (eg Hill) and have a pretty dynamic forward line.

I would take Mathieson out - awful disposal. Berry and Keays have been good. Lester has been good enough this year that 1 poor game shouldn't see him dropped.

We lack run and carry. Just checked the bounces we're a clear last for the season to date and a whopping 86 behind GWS... while I'm at it other stats we're last for

Contested Possesions
Disposal Effeciency
Most Clangers
Contested marks
Marks inside 50
Inside 50 (even thought port and GC have played a game less in fact they've had 108 and 42 more
Disposals
Goals Conceded

Last for most clangers! Go us!

Last season we gave up 131 ppg when our opposition converted 68% of shots. This year it's 121 ppg with conversion close enough to 50%.

That 121 ppg should be above 131 ppg which means we're worse than last season.
Depends if you believe accuracy is achieved in a vacuum or if improvement in areas like pressure or forcing marks at worse angles, etc, play into it.

Back