Review Round 10, 2017 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends if you believe accuracy is achieved in a vacuum or if improvement in areas like pressure or forcing marks at worse angles, etc, play into it.
In a vacuum... lol

Given 50% of the goals last year were scored from the goalsquare after teams sliced through Leppa awful gameplan

I'd day this year is a vast improvement

Drop Martin, Archie showed him how to mark, handball and kick today, all required at AFL level.
We competed well today, frustrating that the score blew out.
It's great that after Zorko and Beams and next best 5-7 were all younger guys.
Robertson was great, probably best game from him. Also Barrett's, Berrys and Luggages best games.
The worst thing about today is that we were actually a chance to snatch it.
The bye has come at a good time, apart from being 1 tall to many I wouldn't be making to many changes.
I reckon Walker and Smith would be better then Martin and whoever, Martin just stuffs up far to much with the ball, Walker at least can play forward.

Four players with 20 or more possessions says it all really (including only 2 with 21 or more (Beams and Zorko)).

Another insipid performance again in Melbourne.

Not taking a pot Dylan at all, but I didn't see insipid at all today. Just not good enough. I would say poor effort from 2-3 players but really good effort from a very young and very inexperienced team.
99% of the guys want to be at the club and the 1% is undecided (hope he stays) but they are hell bent on getting better.
The frustration for supporters is that the wins will still take time. There wouldn't be another team ATM fielding anywhere near the youth we did today and we were really close at 3/4 time.
I know most of you guys have been around the club for 2 or 3 times longer than me and have heard the same stuck record year after year.
I'm obviously closely connected and can tell you these guys are really tight and committed.
It will come, we are where Melbourne were at and the Saints were at 2-3 years ago. They really moving forward (more so the saints)
Hang in there guys, have your spat, get pissed off and do what you need to do as frustrated supporters, but try to hang in there.
Keep supporting the boys as best you can because it is greatly appreciated by the whole playing group and club.

- Lester looked slow and struggling in the second half. First half was not that bad.
- Mathieson's disposal is very poor.
- Hammelman looks like it's too much for him.
- There's a lot of love for Gardiner on this board, but honestly, he had a pretty poor game today.
- Rich isn't a defender.
- Keayes & Lester have been good recently, just a bad week for them. More excusable for Keayes than Lester.
- Martin 0 marks.
- I think we have to drop a tall...

Rockliff for Mathieson
CBeams for Bastinac
Harwood for Hammelman

FB: Andrews, McStay, Cutler
HB: Gardiner, Mayes, Robertson
C: Lester, Zorko, Keayes
HF: CBeams, Taylor, Harwood
FF: Smith, Hipwood, Paparone
Foll: Martin, Rockliff, Beams

Int: McCluggage, Berry, Rich, Barrett

Went to the footy today, Carlton v Nth Melbourne. Carlton lost as most expected, but they had a red hot go. At one stage they had North on the ropes, having kicked 9 out of last 10 goals scored. They are currently 17th on the Ladder and they are miles ahead of us. It really is a 17 team competition with an additional team that is no competition at all.
And people were telling me we were going to make the 8 the bastards

Was at Sea World today so only just watched the game. Different experience watching it delayed without getting geed up by BigFooty hysterics. Haven't read a single post about the game yet.

I was pretty despondent last week, but this week was actually quite pleasing for me in comparison. Geez you could see where the growth in our list is going to come from.

It's clear week-after-week that our young list can only play three quarters of footy at this point before more mature lists run over the top so I kinda mark our report card at 3 quarter time at the moment. Today we had 15 players under 22 to Collingwood's 5 - an incredible disparity. In light of that, to even qualify as mediocre, the Pies (even counting their inaccuracy) should have been up by 50 at 3 quarter time and then flat-tracked us into oblivion in the fourth. If Bundy, Rockliff and Mitch Robbo were out there to give us some more maturity and experience this could have been a very winnable game.

There were so many goals we conceded today that we simply wouldn't concede if we get our young guys through another 3 pre-seasons on the track and in the gym. Being able to chase just a little bit longer or physically stick the tackles more consistently will have a pretty transformative effect.

Beams and Zorko are marvels. Berry is legit. McCluggage gets in positions where can can be very dangerous but just panics a tad. Another 15-20 games and he is going to be very good. Nick Robbo has cemented himself in our best 22 for mine. Love his Energizer Bunny attitude.

Just keep adding class and depth to the midfield group over the next couple of pre-seasons and I think we're going to be in good shape down the road.

I could say more but I am buggered and need a nap before the Monaco GP.
Do yourself a favor and stay away from the hysterics of all social media during the games... just makes the whole thing far more rational experience. Well as much as supporting us can be!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Not taking a pot Dylan at all, but I didn't see insipid at all today. Just not good enough. I would say poor effort from 2-3 players but really good effort from a very young and very inexperienced team.
99% of the guys want to be at the club and the 1% is undecided (hope he stays) but they are hell bent on getting better.
The frustration for supporters is that the wins will still take time. There wouldn't be another team ATM fielding anywhere near the youth we did today and we were really close at 3/4 time.
I know most of you guys have been around the club for 2 or 3 times longer than me and have heard the same stuck record year after year.
I'm obviously closely connected and can tell you these guys are really tight and committed.
It will come, we are where Melbourne were at and the Saints were at 2-3 years ago. They really moving forward (more so the saints)
Hang in there guys, have your spat, get pissed off and do what you need to do as frustrated supporters, but try to hang in there.
Keep supporting the boys as best you can because it is greatly appreciated by the whole playing group and club.
Nice post

Ryan Lester could have really, within the rules, physically smashed some opposition in a marking contest and chose not to.
Your Voss's the Scott brothers, mitch robsinsons, hodges.. anyone big bodied or not! would've put some or all body into a contest. Worst case give away a free or 50. Just does not have an angry bone or mongrel in him for a big bodied mid.

Could have stopped Elliott in his tracks today. Not sure what his go is.

Paparone was apparently doing a job on Howe who didn't have much of an impact on the game. Howe is in the conversation for AA selection imo and been about our most influential player this season so calling for Paparone to be dropped might be a little harsh.

Fagan seems to have fixed Brisbane's ball movement and attack a lot but the defence is non-existent and as bad as last season imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely Lester and Bastinac get dropped after those disgraceful efforts. They both are slow and just give up on so many contests. This cancer then permeates the team:(
Lester has been one of our most consistent players, you don't drop best 22s after 1 quiet game.

I think our list is building towards being very healthy. Obviously we'll see how Schache goes but our current spine has 'best in the comp' potential. We just need some quality outside mids and keep stacking quality midfield talent and we'll be right long term.

Paparone was apparently doing a job on Howe who didn't have much of an impact on the game. Howe is in the conversation for AA selection imo and been about our most influential player this season so calling for Paparone to be dropped might be a little harsh.

Fagan seems to have fixed Brisbane's ball movement and attack a lot but the defence is non-existent and as bad as last season imo.

Our oldest defender is Rich (not a true defender). Our kpds are 20 and 21. Our small defenders are 23 and 21. They dealt with 70 entries today.

The issues are midfield orientated. Our second string mids are kids.

I went for Zorko, Beams, Berry, Robertson and McStay as our best and also thought McCluggage and Barrett were pretty good.

Zorko and Beams just have to carry too much of the midfield load, will change when Rocky comes back but we just don't have enough quality in there.

Stefan Martin has to go IMO, I have never been a big fan of him, he has been living off the back of 18 months of good footy a few years ago. Drops too many easy marks and squibs contests.

2 weeks to the next game but my immediate reaction would be-

Outs- Stefan Martin, Ryan Lester, Ryan Bastinac, Marco Paparone, Matthew Hammelmann.
Ins- Cedric Cox, Jonathan Freeman, Ryan Harwood (play as a small forward), Tom Rockliff, Jacob Allison.
Harsh on Lester and Paps, Lester has been solid all year and Paps apparently was on Howe who was quiet.
The rest is spot on.

Our oldest defender is Rich (not a true defender). Our kpds are 20 and 21. Our small defenders are 23 and 21. They dealt with 70 entries today.

The issues are midfield orientated. Our second string mids are kids.
when i talk about defence i meant across the 22. But yeah i was talking mainly about the defensive pressure put on by your forwards and midfielders. Your backs can't defend when the ball is getting in there 70 times and unpressured. Collingwood missed so many easy sets shots, the final score flattered brisbane imo.

My day: Flight from Newcastle was delayed by 2.5 hours and I landed in Melbourne at 1230. Sprinted to the cab rank and I jumped in and ask to go straight to the "G". The cabbie looks at me and says "I'm sorry, I don't know where that is". we figure it out and I ended up near rod laver arena; close enough mate. I hit the the ground running and was inside by half way through the first quarter, finally!!!

Well hats off to the pies, they were the better team. Our kicks out of the backline in the 2nd and 4th quarters were frustrating, the bomb it long to the pies backline technique wasn't the best. I also found the pies would patiently wait for a short kick vice the long bomb and they took a lot of uncontested marks. We seemed to look around and not see someone open and then go long, balls hits the deck and the pies would clean up the ground ball. When we did hit that target or look to kick to advantage we looked good. We could build some pressure, lock it into the forward line and score. We have some great young fellas coming along and the nervous pies supporters when we got within 3 goals in the last was worth the trip!! It was great to see so many lion supporters out there today

I hate how critical some people have been of Matheson, I see a young 20 year old that has the ability to enter a contest and leave with the ball with massive potential yes he hacked kick way too much, although his first game this season after injury and up against decent pressure every hard ball get, I'll give him a pass.

Ins: Rockliff Freeman Harwood
Outs: Bastinac Hammer Smith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our defense coming out of our forward line and through the midfield is virtually non exsistent. Our 'defenders' are actually incredible. Have seen Gardiner and others getting smashed, but truely.. 77 entries.. these guys just repel.. repel.. repal.. all day long with virtually no break in between. I suppose same goes for my comments about Robbo earlier.

I was actually depeessed about a month ago watching this team. Now I have adjusted my lens a little and I am enjoying my footy again. That team yesteday was so young, and they all fought their backsides off, your boy included. We need to stick fat. People complaining that we have been asked to stick fat before are missing the fact that we finished 10th-12th for about 6 years and topped up with older players often. This is the first time we have actually pruned the list back to the branch in a long time.

Robbo.. would you expect McStay.. to stay?

Some frustrations:

- was amazed at how Collingwood could move the ball from their back half through to our defensive 50 without a single contest. Literally just chip passed it all the way down.. way too far off our opponents.

- I was glad to see Rich not take the kick in's each time... As he needs to be apart of the second phase ball movement...... but Cutler never gave him the chance..... just bombed it long to the conrest every bloody time. It was like last year! No bravery. No risk taken. I think Cutler is over rated at the moment.

- Too make matters worse..... when Cutler/others bombed it, where the hell were our crumbers?? The ball would come to ground with 4 Collingwood players fighting each other for it. It was like we only had 10 players on the field..... time after time.

- I agree we need to try something new with our ruckman. Watching Big O's tap to adavantage in the 2's makes me want to trial him and Archie. Steph has been average at best.... We'd gain better taps, better marking ability, more mongrel, and more long term upside. Start getting games into the BigO and Archie duo.

Back